Miami Still Has Endless Options To Upgrade The Offensive Line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Still Has Endless Options To Upgrade The Offensive Line

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
USATSI_11825235.jpg

The Dolphins have made it clear that 2019 is a foundational year — the team needs to build this team up from the inside, out. But with only one pick in each of the first four rounds of the 2019 NFL Draft, what kind of overhaul can the Dolphins provide with so many other needs on the roster?

A significant one. Just not necessarily with a ton of draft picks. Looking through the current free agent market, there’s a plethora of offensive linemen who would be upgrades here in Miami.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...ndless-options-to-upgrade-the-offensive-line/

This won't be hard to do just hope it's a long term upgrade

Usually a team can find two starters in the draft. My hope is that Miami can find four. That may mean trading down and getting another high draft pick and maneuvering throughout the draft process. Ideally, it would be great to find two starters on the offensive line and two starters on the defensive line. I should specify that I'm talking about upgrades.

OL play is all about effort, Jesse Davis as big as he is got whipped constantly, Larsen did too, everybody that comes to Miami from other teams plays like crap, we need nasty SOB's in the trenches, They cost Tannehill his career, they give the team a rebate.

OL play is all about effort, Jesse Davis as big as he is got whipped constantly, Larsen did too, everybody that comes to Miami from other teams plays like crap, we need nasty SOB's in the trenches, They cost Tannehill his career, they give the team a rebate.

I was with you, ESPECIALLY Jessie Davis (possibly our new RT) until you said they cost Tannehill his career. Tannehill had his shot, he took it...he didn't miss, but he didn't impact the final score either.

Jesse Davis is a natural Right Tackle. Thats his position, maybe he struggled at RG because of that. Give him a chance at RT in pre-season. The backup, Sam, is a decent RT too though he was terrible at LT

Nothing new in the article. The list of players seem to be out of date and many are not truly viable options. Further, most are over 30 years of age and that only eliminates many from Miami except from 1 year stop gap deals.

I was with you, ESPECIALLY Jessie Davis (possibly our new RT) until you said they cost Tannehill his career. Tannehill had his shot, he took it...he didn't miss, but he didn't impact the final score either.

The OL was certainly part of what made Tannehill one of the most sacked QB’s during his career and lead to his knee injury during the best season of his career, ultimately forcing the team to move on from him. You can’t acknowledge the horrific OL play Miami has had and then just completely discount it as a factor in the QB’s lack of success, no matter how much you disliked him.

It’s OK, though, if the front office doesn’t shore up the OL properly for the new QB, you will get to see the same scenario over again as proof, and it won’t matter if the QB is named Tua, Rosen or Lock. Fail on the LOS=Fail on the season.

A lot of that is coaching. If Miami had NE's OL coach, this discussion would be very different

The OL was certainly part of what made Tannehill one of the most sacked QB’s during his career and lead to his knee injury during the best season of his career, ultimately forcing the team to move on from him. You can’t acknowledge the horrific OL play Miami has had and then just completely discount it as a factor in the QB’s lack of success, no matter how much you disliked him.

It’s OK, though, if the front office doesn’t shore up the OL properly for the new QB, you will get to see the same scenario over again as proof, and it won’t matter if the QB is named Tua, Rosen or Lock. Fail on the LOS=Fail on the season.
I'm not going to go on a tangent about Tannehill. All I'll say is that other Qb's have done more with less on the O-line.

Plus...it wasn't the o-line that got Tannehill hurt. It was his stupidity in not getting the surgery. Hell, Tom Brady got hurt in the same manner, the Pats were 10-6 the following year without him.

Coaching is a huge factor as to why our oline has failed for years. But, we also missed on a bunch of high oline draft picks. It's nobody's fault that we lost Sitton after only 1 game but how Dolphin is that. We bring in the pro bowl guy to shore up the line and give Tunsil a great player to learn from but of course, one damn game. I don't think Gase spent much time on the oline. I'm actually not very sure of what he spent his time doing. Gase should not be a HC, but that's the Jet's problem now.

We definitely need OL and DL help in a major way.
And the Pats went 11-5 in 2008, and missed the playoffs. Crazy. =)

A lot of that is coaching. If Miami had NE's OL coach, this discussion would be very different
I agree. I think a lot of our problems were from coaching and/or schemes.
The O-line looked unprepared MANY times. It looked as if they didn't know what to do, as in, WHO to block.
Also, the RBs can't be held harmless in the lack of protection either. It also looked like THEY didn't know who to block.
Was it overall scheme? Was it T-hill calling the WRONG protections at the line? Was it players not executing properly? Who knows, but it was on the coaches to fix the problem, and they didn't do it.

Back
Top Bottom