Miami use the arsenal of picks to make a bold splash | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami use the arsenal of picks to make a bold splash

Trade up for both Simmons and Okudah

• Love it! Try it!

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Interesting but better use of picks

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Dumbest thing I may have ever heard

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

King Gidorah

Active Roster
Reaction score
We have a really good opportunity to make a transformative change in one year laying the foundation for something hopefully great! See the Dolphins 2020 draft picks below. We have had a powerful FA on defense and it would be great to continue it. With Miami’s 1st pick stay at 5. Pick your QB whoever’s available Tua or Justin (love Joe but not breaking the bank). Cincinnati will take Joe at 1 and Washington will take Chase at 2. Detroit will trade out of 3 to either the Chargers 6 or Carolina 7 so they grab a QB. The Giants going OL or DL at 4. Now step in Miami and draft up to 6 or 7 whichever Detroit takes and send them our 18, 39, and 153 taking Isaiah Simmons. Next trade up to 8 with Phoenix and send them our 26, 56, and 141 for Jeff Okudah. And we still have 7 more picks and many top picks again in 2021. I would love to see Miami have a great defense once again.
1st Round – 3 picks
—5th overall – own
—18th overall – Minkah Fitzpatrick trade
—26th overall – Laremy Tunsil/Kenny Stills trade
2nd Round – 2 picks
—39th overall – own
—56th overall – 2019 draft day trade w/New Orleans
3rd Round – 1 pick
—70th overall – own
4th Round – 1 pick
—141st overall – compensatory
5th Round – 3 picks
—153rd overall – Kenyan Drake trade
—154th overall – Minkah Fitzpatrick trade
—173rd overall – Aqib Talib trade
6th Round – 1 pick
—185th overall – own
7th Round – 3 picks
—227th overall – Evan Boehm trade
—246th overall – Jordan Lucas trade
—251st overall – compensatory

We have a really good opportunity to make a transformative change in one year laying the foundation for something hopefully great! See the Dolphins 2020 draft picks below. We have had a powerful FA on defense and it would be great to continue it. With Miami’s 1st pick stay at 5. Pick your QB whoever’s available Tua or Justin (love Joe but not breaking the bank). Cincinnati will take Joe at 1 and Washington will take Chase at 2. Detroit will trade out of 3 to either the Chargers 6 or Carolina 7 so they grab a QB. The Giants going OL or DL at 4. Now step in Miami and draft up to 6 or 7 whichever Detroit takes and send them our 18, 39, and 153 taking Isaiah Simmons. Next trade up to 8 with Phoenix and send them our 26, 56, and 141 for Jeff Okudah. And we still have 7 more picks and many top picks again in 2021. I would love to see Miami have a great defense once again.
1st Round – 3 picks
—5th overall – own
—18th overall – Minkah Fitzpatrick trade
—26th overall – Laremy Tunsil/Kenny Stills trade
2nd Round – 2 picks
—39th overall – own
—56th overall – 2019 draft day trade w/New Orleans
3rd Round – 1 pick
—70th overall – own
4th Round – 1 pick
—141st overall – compensatory
5th Round – 3 picks
—153rd overall – Kenyan Drake trade
—154th overall – Minkah Fitzpatrick trade
—173rd overall – Aqib Talib trade
6th Round – 1 pick
—185th overall – own
7th Round – 3 picks
—227th overall – Evan Boehm trade
—246th overall – Jordan Lucas trade
—251st overall – compensatory

I think most here expect emphasis on O.

I agree, but it would be nice to have a shutdown D that becomes the teams identity. It would keep the games closer while providing the O more opportunities, as the team builds.

We do not have the luxury to sacrifice a quantity of top picks for a few quality players. We should be adding as many players as possible, especially in the top 100, until we know we will be competitive each year. Would it be nice to have those guys? Yes but we still have plenty of holes on this roster to fill.

We do not have the luxury to sacrifice a quantity of top picks for a few quality players. We should be adding as many players as possible, especially in the top 100, until we know we will be competitive each year. Would it be nice to have those guys? Yes but we still have plenty of holes on this roster to fill.

I agree that the more top 100 player we have, the better. We don't have that many holes to fill...and who would be filling them. Our 6th and 7th rounders? Same difference. With all our picks we will basically have a practice squad under contract.

I agree that the more top 100 player we have, the better. We don't have that many holes to fill...and who would be filling them. Our 6th and 7th rounders? Same difference. With all our picks we will basically have a practice squad under contract.

We need a QB
We need a RB to pair with Howard
Quality of WR depth? How will Williams respond to his injury? What if Parker gets injured? (Can he string two healthy seasons together?)
Confident with a TE on the roster after Gesicki?
2 Tackles
1 or 2 interior lineman. Confident in Dieter? Confident Karras is the long term answer?

We filled DE for now
We need a NT
With Van Noy and Roberts, we filled LB for now
We need a safety along with Rowe for this year
Confident in CB depth behind Needham/Jamal Perry (Formerly Wiltz)

Last year we basically scrapped our roster to rid ourselves from bad contracts and made it a try out year for free agents and practice squad players. There is no way we don't have many holes to fill unless you consider just throwing a scrub in there and hoping they turn out okay rectifying the situation. Miami should be continuing to establish a foundation this year and build off of last year but should focus on improving the talent and potential they have on the roster by utilizing the first 5 rounds and not trade away those picks. I could see using picks in the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds to move up to get players they want in earlier rounds or getting picks in 2021.

In the original post he talked about staying at 5, trading away 3 draft picks to move up to 6 or 7, and another 3 picks to move up to 8. Trading away 6 picks for 2 top 10 players (not counting keeping #5 overall) when Miami is continuing to build a culture and making it known they want to build through the draft? My opinion is not only do they need to draft more starters...they need to upgrade depth. I would consider depth as holes as well as starters. Also with the CBA approved can add an additional 2 players to the practice squad.

All those needs can be filled within the next two seasons. We have 6 top 100 picks (three 1s, two 2s, and one 3rd) to fill those holes with a starting/quality backup type of player.

They absolutely can make an attempt at addressing all those needs in the next two seasons. Miami doesn't hit 100% of their picks in the draft. No one does. It's a numbers game. Those players in the top 100 SHOULD have better odds of having success in the NFL but some players just don't make it. Looking at Miami's draft picks in the first 3 rounds in each of the last 3 years they got Christian Wilkins, Michael Dieter, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Mike Gesicki, Jerome Baker, Charles Harris, Raekwon McMillan, and Cordrea Tankersly. 8 players. Tankersly and Harris haven't worked out. Dieter is going have to get much better. Fitz didn't want to be here. 3/8 aren't meeting expectations and 1/8 wanted out. Who could've predicted Fitz wanting to leave?

Why wouldn't you try to take advantage of a year where we have an abundance of draft picks to expedite our rebuild process and reduce the amount of work they have to do in 2021? Why let things linger when we don't know what unexpected issues may come up next season that could push filling those needs over the next 3 or 4 seasons? Some players won't work out. Injuries will happen. Some contracts will expire.

Some of those needs will be fulfilled, some will remain the same, and new needs will come up. I also feel like the more young players we get for Flores, the faster he will continue turning things around given what he worked with last year. I don't expect everything to be addressed and fixed this year but what I am getting at is this draft COULD significantly reduce the amount of 2021 needs and IMO we have more holes in the roster than you think. They need to successfully add players though otherwise this will linger longer than it should. If they don't use a good portion of those picks this year then they won't successfully address that above list in 2 seasons. It's one thing to 'address' a need but its completely different to fulfill that need.

Yes I also am aware they can use FA

Back
Top Bottom