Miami's 2001 first draft pick.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami's 2001 first draft pick..

PeterJNO said:
They picked "Jamar Fletcher" with pick #26, when they could have picked: Michael Bennett, Reggie Wayne, Todd Heap, Drew Brees, Chad Johnson, Kendrell Bell, Matt Light, LaMont Jordan... it's just hard to think about. :(
http://www.drafthistory.com/years/2001.html

According to some Mock Drafts I was reading the other day, we were expected to get Chad Johnson... :(

PeterJNO said:
They picked "Jamar Fletcher" with pick #26, when they could have picked: Michael Bennett, Reggie Wayne, Todd Heap, Drew Brees, Chad Johnson, Kendrell Bell, Matt Light, LaMont Jordan... it's just hard to think about. :(
It was a terrible pick no matter how you look at it. First off he wasn't a physical enough player to play the type of press scheme we were running with our corners. Secondly he didn't even fill a need really. LIke we needed a first round pick to play nickleback. Third we had other glaring holes to fill especially on offense, did Wanny think Lamar Smith was 22 or something? Fourth Wanny entrusted our offense to a career back-up thinking this guy would take us to the promised land. Unfortunately he also gave him a huge deal and drafting a QB first round would have created a controversy, and Wanny hated controversy. Fifth............

PeterJNO said:

There is an arguement for each...
Bennett has been in and out of the lineup since he was drafted. Heap has been fairly successful, but not elite. Wayne has the distinct advantage of being in a WRs offense, although I'd like to have him complimenting Chambers, for sure. Johnson..ok not bad. Bell, just really hit it this year, and is more of situational players. Light is solid. Jordan would have been on the bench behind RW, although we could have used him last year (but he probably would have been injured like everyone else we put in the backfield, including QBs)...Fletcher wasn't a bad pick, just not a good fit for our defense..he did ok with SD last year...it's all relative to what you need at the time...

Could have Minnesota's record. Just waiting to see if they can blow BOTH 1st round picks this year.

"I know we only have 2 minutes left...I'm trying to see if we can order some pizza with this damn thing. I know, I left my cell at home. Hey try phoning Mike out, see if he has done selling those tickets for the Knicks game. Wait a minute...why are they saying our time is up? WTF???"

Wanny thought that Fiedler was the answer to succeed Marino. If we picked up Brees I think with our line at the time i think he could've played alot better sooner. We had some good weapons around like Chambers, Gadsden, Mcknight, and we eventually got Mcmichael and Ricky. Talent like that and a killer d, we could've been great even with Wanny's bad coaching.

dno if some1 has already said it but hindsight is 20/20...

its like saying ''man, i'm still choked bout passing up Brady in the 5th??'' wtf??

or Portis in the second, or anything like that.

PeterJNO said:

Well 26 other teams could have taken Marino too. You live and you learn. If we had the time machine from "Back To the Future", don't you think we would darn well use it??

Doktor Ivel said:
...fletcher was good in college....in my opinion, the dolphins suck at drafting

We've had our ups and downs, just like other teams.

It could be worse, there's always the shame Packer fans have from the '89 draft:

1. Dallas - Troy Aikman

2. Green Bay - Tony Mandrich :shakeno:

3. Detroit - Barry Sanders

4. Kansas City - Derrick Thomas

5. Atlanta - Deion Sanders

lets face it fins just r not that good at anythin well except their awesome defense

Megatron said:
It was a terrible pick no matter how you look at it. First off he wasn't a physical enough player to play the type of press scheme we were running with our corners. Secondly he didn't even fill a need really. LIke we needed a first round pick to play nickleback. Third we had other glaring holes to fill especially on offense, did Wanny think Lamar Smith was 22 or something? Fourth Wanny entrusted our offense to a career back-up thinking this guy would take us to the promised land. Unfortunately he also gave him a huge deal and drafting a QB first round would have created a controversy, and Wanny hated controversy. Fifth............
Trusting in a career back-up thinking the guy would take us to the promised land? Sounds like history has repeated itself :lol:

Back
Top Bottom