Miami's Cap Numbers for 2003 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami's Cap Numbers for 2003

EddieIrvine13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
You guys wont like this.
I figured out the cap numbers for 2003.
Well, right now, we have a cap number of just under $68 million.
Our top 51 base salaries add up to $42.84 million, so that additional $25 million is due to last years incentives and signing bonuses.
Next year, we have a total base salary of $52.55 million. If we add that $25 million PLUS the $2.3 we just pushed DGs contract to PLUS lets just say $2 million we are going to give RW. That is a grand total of $82 MILLION! If we predict the cap at $74 million (at most, they announced it will not go up a lot), we are $8 million over already. This number does NOT include the following starters: Dixon, Konrad, Gadsden, Weaver, Smith, or Searcy, or whoever our punter is going to be. The good news is we will not be losing any major starters.
If we were to resign these 5 to a similar price (with the exception of Dixon), we would lose another $3 million. Add another $2 million in signing bonuses we pushed over to make room this year too. So there we have it.... $13 million over next years cap. Not too shabby considering we are losing few starters to FA and starters we can sign cheaply (with the exception of OG). But that doesnt include any key free agents we are to sign next season. But you can say goodbye to a few Dolphins, because we rae going to have to cut some of our players. If DG doesnt have a good year, look for htis year to be his last in a Dolphins uniform unless they pull the same stuff off they did with Tim Bowens.

I say forget about Blake. Let's just get a punter (Royals or Turk) and sign some players to one year deals (DE and Carter?) Let's not make next year harder than it has to be.

If we were to cut Ruddy, Perry, Gardener, and Rodgers at the end of the season, we would save under $10 million only in their base salaries.

If Rodgers sucks again this year he will renegociate. Perry Sucks, and Ruddy would Renegociate too.

Originally posted by EddieIrvine13
$13 million over next years cap. Not too shabby considering we are losing few starters to FA and starters we can sign cheaply (with the exception of OG). But that doesnt include any key free agents we are to sign next season. But you can say goodbye to a few Dolphins, because we rae going to have to cut some of our players.

We were around that same # over the cap this year too. Hasn't seem to hurt us that bad. It's 2004 that's the killer.

Well, in 2004, we will have already cut Fiedler, so we wont have his salary. Fiedler's contract is structured so that it basiclaly is a two year contract. Pus hopfeully we will have resigned Zach to a multi-year contract after it expires at the end of 2003. If so, it will probably have a small base salary in the first year, so I think we should be ok that year. Same thing with Wade though he doesnt eat a lot of the salary cap over the next two years like ZT will (im not complaining... he is worth every penny.)

It is 2005 we should be worrying about.

It is 2005 we should be worrying about.
don't worry we should be in good shape by 2021 in time for my son to be up for his first contract as a RFA and in 2030 in time for Katina and JT's son to be up for his first contract as a RFA :goof: ;)

Originally posted by chambers84
If Rodgers sucks again this year he will renegociate. Perry Sucks, and Ruddy would Renegociate too.

If Rodgers, Perry, and Ruddy all have poor production again, we should cut them. Why renegotiate?

You guys wont like this.
I figured out the cap numbers for 2003.
Well, right now, we have a cap number of just under $68 million.
Our top 51 base salaries add up to $42.84 million, so that additional $25 million is due to last years incentives and signing bonuses.
Next year, we have a total base salary of $52.55 million. If we add that $25 million PLUS the $2.3 we just pushed DGs contract to PLUS lets just say $2 million we are going to give RW. That is a grand total of $82 MILLION! If we predict the cap at $74 million (at most, they announced it will not go up a lot), we are $8 million over already. This number does NOT include the following starters: Dixon, Konrad, Gadsden, Weaver, Smith, or Searcy, or whoever our punter is going to be. The good news is we will not be losing any major starters.
If we were to resign these 5 to a similar price (with the exception of Dixon), we would lose another $3 million. Add another $2 million in signing bonuses we pushed over to make room this year too. So there we have it.... $13 million over next years cap. Not too shabby considering we are losing few starters to FA and starters we can sign cheaply (with the exception of OG). But that doesnt include any key free agents we are to sign next season. But you can say goodbye to a few Dolphins, because we rae going to have to cut some of our players. If DG doesnt have a good year, look for htis year to be his last in a Dolphins uniform unless they pull the same stuff off they did with Tim Bowens.

I say forget about Blake. Let's just get a punter (Royals or Turk) and sign some players to one year deals (DE and Carter?) Let's not make next year harder than it has to be.

If we were to cut Ruddy, Perry, Gardener, and Rodgers at the end of the season, we would save under $10 million only in their base salaries.

Although 13 mill. over doesn't look good, we were in worse shape this year. Didn't we start this offseason with over $15 mill. over the cap? I believe the front office will work around the cap while solving our needs.

Plus, we might get a late round steal in the draft.

I'm not too worried. Things should work out just fine. A couple of snips and cuts and things will be right back where they should be. I'm happy with the way things have gone thus far and, until something changes, I'm not going to get too worked up over the crap...errrrr, cap figures. :p

you have to look at it like this...every year you are going to lose some players...as long as its not key players..this year we have lost walker,cousin,,folou,goodwin,irwin,turk,lamar....i probably missed someone else but my point is all of these guys are replaceable...we also were able to resign marion and bowens,galyon and ogden...we were also able to sign searcy,robert edwards,chester,royals and make the trade for ricky...all of our key players are signed and we will redo ricky and extend zach and chambers...

WELCOME TO TODAY'S NFL.

That's the way it is nowadays. And it's by design. If you do well and draft/sign a lot of good/great players, then the salary cap ensures that you're not going to be able to keep all of them....aka "spreading the wealth".

Honestly, I'm not worried about our cap situation. Not today, not tomorrow, not in 2004. We're not like the Jags and other teams. Teams who have to cut $50 million from the books. We're fiscally responsible and we seem to be drafting well.

Muck..........

Originally posted by Muck
WELCOME TO TODAY'S NFL.

That's the way it is nowadays. And it's by design. If you do well and draft/sign a lot of good/great players, then the salary cap ensures that you're not going to be able to keep all of them....aka "spreading the wealth".

Honestly, I'm not worried about our cap situation. Not today, not tomorrow, not in 2004. We're not like the Jags and other teams. Teams who have to cut $50 million from the books. We're fiscally responsible and we seem to be drafting well.

Ditto.:cool:

Originally posted by booyeah_

If Rodgers, Perry, and Ruddy all have poor production again, we should cut them. Why renegotiate?

Look for Perry to be cut this June!

Back
Top Bottom