Miami's Draft Plan

zodiak

Starter
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
890
Reaction score
12
Dolfans

I am going to add my 2 cents into the superbowl of speculation concerning the dolphins draft plan.

First I must say up front that my plan is based on the idea that Ricky Williams will return to play for Miami,I fully believe that Nick Saban has knowledge of Williams intent- nothing can publicly be stated because of NFL rules.

Secondly for those who want to say Saban's interest in player x is a smoke screen why? he holds the 2nd pick in the entire draft he can select any player he wants except for the player SF picks, so he doesnt need to be secretive.
Even if he was able to trade down, at that point your ability to draft is still dependant on who the teams in front of you select.

Now I believe if you simply listen to what info Saban will release you get a very clear idea of what he wants..case in point in his first "official" PC he stated he wants to get bigger and stronger- a look at his FA signings shows the players he added where? bigger & stronger.
With that in mind I keep hearing Saban comment on how poorly the QB's played last year, again he add's a QB in FA and not surprisingly he is looking at QB very closely as the draft draws near.
What is to me a surprise is the player he is looking at, well it was till I remembered what I read in "Patriot Reign" how the patriots have a blue print for every postion on the field and what they would like in the perfect player for that postion.
Then realizing that what many scouts are saying about Alex Smith are many of the things the Patriots want in their QB, Smart-competitve-poise along with the physical strengths Accuracy-athletic- the real question on Smith is arm strength and weight, again reluctanly I remember Tom Brady "making" himself into an NFL QB, can Alex Smith take his great football intangibles and make himself into a great NFL QB?

I believe thats the bet Nick Saban is willing to make and on April 23, 2005 we will get to see that Nick Saban's draft plan is to select Utah QB-Alex Smith
 

NLude33

Section 415, Row 17
Joined
Apr 29, 2004
Messages
1,822
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Location
Ft Lauderdale, FL
zodiak said:
Secondly for those who want to say Saban's interest in player x is a smoke screen why? he holds the 2nd pick in the entire draft he can select any player he wants except for the player SF picks, so he doesnt need to be secretive.
Even if he was able to trade down, at that point your ability to draft is still dependant on who the teams in front of you select.
Because if he said I want Alex Smith or Ronnie Brown, which ever falls to me, then Minny or Chicago or Tampa or whoever says.....OK, we know who they are going to take, we can plan otherwise. But, if they are affraid we take their player, they trade up and overpay for that pick, hopfully with us and not SF.
 

ohiohurricane

Rookie
Joined
Nov 26, 2004
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
I would take any other player at #2 than Smith or Rodgers! I hope I'm wrong, but I think that they'll both be garbage in the NFL, just my opinion.
 

BlueFin

Seer of Visions
Finheaven VIP
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
18,228
Reaction score
2,678
Location
Weeki Wachee, Florida
zodiak said:
Dolfans

I am going to add my 2 cents into the superbowl of speculation concerning the dolphins draft plan.

First I must say up front that my plan is based on the idea that Ricky Williams will return to play for Miami,I fully believe that Nick Saban has knowledge of Williams intent- nothing can publicly be stated because of NFL rules.

Secondly for those who want to say Saban's interest in player x is a smoke screen why? he holds the 2nd pick in the entire draft he can select any player he wants except for the player SF picks, so he doesnt need to be secretive.
Even if he was able to trade down, at that point your ability to draft is still dependant on who the teams in front of you select.

Now I believe if you simply listen to what info Saban will release you get a very clear idea of what he wants..case in point in his first "official" PC he stated he wants to get bigger and stronger- a look at his FA signings shows the players he added where? bigger & stronger.
With that in mind I keep hearing Saban comment on how poorly the QB's played last year, again he add's a QB in FA and not surprisingly he is looking at QB very closely as the draft draws near.
What is to me a surprise is the player he is looking at, well it was till I remembered what I read in "Patriot Reign" how the patriots have a blue print for every postion on the field and what they would like in the perfect player for that postion.
Then realizing that what many scouts are saying about Alex Smith are many of the things the Patriots want in their QB, Smart-competitve-poise along with the physical strengths Accuracy-athletic- the real question on Smith is arm strength and weight, again reluctanly I remember Tom Brady "making" himself into an NFL QB, can Alex Smith take his great football intangibles and make himself into a great NFL QB?

I believe thats the bet Nick Saban is willing to make and on April 23, 2005 we will get to see that Nick Saban's draft plan is to select Utah QB-Alex Smith
I agree with you about Smith, if we pick at number #2 I think he is the most likely candidate, with Braylon Edwards another possibility.

I do think Saban is keeping all his options open as he should because if someone makes you a crazy offer you can't refuse..........well, you can't refuse.

Saban along with Belichek wrote that blueprint for every position, so I think your on target with that.

I personally think Saban is somewhat preparing everyone for his pick of a quarterback by noting publically that there are no sure things in this draft at any position........."no Julius Peppers" as he put it.

This is the logical "Time and circumstance" for Nick to get the intelligent quarterback he desires to run his offense for his entire tenure here, assuming of course he is not sold on AJ Feeley.

He can then fill in around him. There is no better time for a brand new coach to draft a top QB prospect than his first draft.
 

fishypete

FinHeaven Elite
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Messages
14,928
Reaction score
21
Age
68
Location
N.P.R. Florida
Saban is going to select his fishing buddy....Spears....no doubt about it. Saban is going to trade down just far enough....to acquire more picks and then he's going to select Spears.
 

tay0365

Super Donator
Finheaven VIP
Joined
May 18, 2004
Messages
13,441
Reaction score
2,891
Location
NJ
I am at a point that if we keep the 2nd overall, I will not be upset if he takes any of 7 players.... if we take one of the top 2 Recievers, top two QBs, or top 3 RBs, I will not be upset, because I trust Saban to find the right player for what he wants to do on offense.

I will on the other hand be upset if we stay at #2, and take a D player, that would tell me that like Wanny, he will try to make his defense better at all times, even when the big concern is offense.

If we trade down and take a defensive player it will not bother me as much, but I still would like to see at least our 1st player be on offense.
 

finsnchips

2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
5,049
Reaction score
1
Age
32
Location
England
I don't think Ricky Williams will impact our draft in any way shape or form!!
 

Krie30511

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
Aug 12, 2004
Messages
875
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Location
Miami
Good point... Ricky cabbot effecty our draft... if so Sabans not the coach I thought he was. Saban has to plan as if, "yes ricky's coming back but he has no value wat so ever"
The "undecidedness" of the #2 is a great problem to have.... I don't think you can go wrong with any of the top 8 in this draft. so no matter what we win....The only guy I'm scared about it Carnell. He seems to me like he is a little too small and is injury prone... not saying he IS indefinately but that he could be.... Again most of you know my opinon that Ronnie is the the most complete prospect in this draft....
 

Mr.offerdahl

Scout Team
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Messages
152
Reaction score
0
ohiohurricane said:
I would take any other player at #2 than Smith or Rodgers! I hope I'm wrong, but I think that they'll both be garbage in the NFL, just my opinion.
Agree ...I prefer ronnie brown over those two ...smith has the same look as gino torreta had ..over confident ....I prefer feeley all the way ..
 

islandah

FinHeaven VIP
Joined
Jun 30, 2004
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
27
It basically comes down to WR, RB or QB - I have to trust the coach and scouts to find which individual is the most talented/best fit for us at each position. It appears that no individual is standing out as the consensus BPA, so it is essentially a position choice.
I understand that the WR's may be the top talents in this draft, but not by much, and seeing as it is our least pressing offensive position, I can't see us going WR.

So it comes down to taking the safe pick of a RB( least likely to be complete bust) that can pretty immediately help you, but probably isn't a position that you'll really build a team around; or gambling on a qb that has higher bust potential and at best will probably have delayed returns, but those returns have the potential to be substantial and become the backbone of the team.
At some point, you have to make a decision about the qb position, and this may be the best opportunity to do it.
Honestly, I'd be happy either way, RB or QB.
 

HysterikiLL

Super Duper Club
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
12,688
Reaction score
0
My long-term feeling on the whole smokescreen debacle runs deep. There's been feeling and speculation that Ronnie Brown is merely a smokescreen for a Benson, Smith, Edwards...

But take it as you wish -- When Benson didn't run at the combine, Saban left. He didn't see Brown. He payed very little interest in Brown over the whole trip. In fact, this speculation of picking Brown only has stemmed from the media. He never spoke a word.

But perhaps leaving the combine early eased the minds of other teams that Ronnie would slip by number 2. Or so they thought. Because a player of Ronnies caliber, validating of the second overall or not cannot be ingnored. This is my opinion, and that is that Nick knows Ronnie from the SEC. He knows what he can do, what he will do --- for us, for Nick, for Miami.

Ronnie 05.
 
Top Bottom