Votes: 6 14.3%
  • OL---- We need to make holes for Ricky and give our QB time to throw

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters

CanadianFish

Starter
Club Member
Reaction score
Unlike many on this forum I personally think if we have a single first round pick that we should get and Offensive lineman and not a QB. I think there is a few decent QB's available on the Market. Being Canadian I'm a HUGE fan of Ricky Ray and he is only 24. I think the CFL has produce a few decent QB's in the last few seasons (Flutie and Garcia). I started thinking about a second receiver to complement Chambers and I know that Tolver and Simmons are probably not the answer but this draft is stacked with potential receivers and look what the Titans found in the 3rd round last year... Calico! I would probably keep BG as a backup (significally reduce salary) and let Ray Griese and Sage battle it out in Training Camp.

Ricky Ray Stats

Just a couple stats I found interesting about these QBs last season in the CFL. The other thing is he is a winner in his first season he lost in the Final of the Grey cup the next season he won it all....

Att com % Yards TD INT RATING
Ricky Ray 579 393 69.3 5299 38 13 108.1

Jeff Garcia 554 348 62.8 4276 28 15 92.3

Doug Flutie 673 430 63.9 5505 47 ?? 97.8

Stats don't lie the kid deserve a chance and the best part is he is at his best scrambling out of the pocket.

If we can get Brunell or Garcia in Free Agency, then I say wide reciever. Then consider trading up to get Schaub or if he's still on the board, Loshman in the 2nd.

I voted for the QB in RD 1 but the statement below is not true.

"Only the draft can address our needs."

A QB can come by many means!

The main reason I voted for the QB was I believe their DE Ogun
will be gone and Miami will receive l'st and 3'rd round
selections for him. Thus a QB with one pick, and a OL with
the second.

And also I think that OL should be a DOMINATING CENTER!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer is none of the above AND all of the above. You can't predetermine a position to focus on. The best player at any number of positions WILL be the pick, could be defense...:D

Stamos is right.....you make the pick based on the board...when it's your turn and those in front have made their selection.

Might be O-Line, QB or even Safety.

Also, Ray or Brunell may be the answer vice the draft (at least this year). Just no way to know where the FO will go on this.

I think we cannot answer the question until we know what FA we have signed and lost before the draft. How can you say we s/go w/a QB if we have Brunell and Fiedler (i.e.) and have lost Wade and Nails and cut Perry and Ruddy ?

And also I think that OL should be a DOMINATING CENTER!!!

I like that idea... but who? "Dominating Centers" do not grow on trees? Who in the draft is a dominating center? I personally can't think of any.

On this OL over QB note.

If Rivers is avaliable we should really jump on him. yes, OL is very important, but a great OL with a great RB will still have trouble with a defense stacking the box. An OL in the draft will not make our line a dominating force in the NFL, though it will make it adequate.

however, we'd STILL need a QB for this team. We should have drafted one prior to Marino's departure. What if we sign OL? We still have no QB. Draft next year, and you have at least a year to groom him then. Unless we fix the QB situation VIA FA, but then garcia and Brunelle will be out in a year or two anyway! We need to draft a rookie QB, and try to fix the line in the FA. NEXT season we can focus our draft on OL but it would be a moot point now, as we have no QB. They can't just walk on like OL can.

I'd rather grab an OL through free agency. Much less chance of the growing pains we had with Smith. (Not that I dislike Smith)

It's easy, you grab the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.....it can not fail! If somebody drops out of the top 10 to us, we have to take him regardless, even if it is a CB, God forbid! haha

Like McAllister a few years ago, New Orleans didn't need a RB but look at how they ended up with that pick, it was brilliant.

Originally posted by CanadianFish
Unlike many on this forum I personally think if we have a single first round pick that we should get and Offensive lineman and not a QB. I think there is a few decent QB's available on the Market. Being Canadian I'm a HUGE fan of Ricky Ray and he is only 24. I think the CFL has produce a few decent QB's in the last few seasons (Flutie and Garcia). I started thinking about a second receiver to complement Chambers and I know that Tolver and Simmons are probably not the answer but this draft is stacked with potential receivers and look what the Titans found in the 3rd round last year... Calico! I would probably keep BG as a backup (significally reduce salary) and let Ray Griese and Sage battle it out in Training Camp.

If a good QB (Rivers, Manning, Roesthisberger, etc) drops to our draft spot or if some team with a high draft pick is willing to reasonably trade with us, we should draft a good QB and later draft an O-Lineman in the next rounds. I agree with keeping Griese with a reduced salary, and if we get a QB in the draft, we do what the Bengals did: Put a previously terrible QB like Kitna as starter and have the rookie train and learn. It worked for their offense. There are plenty of O-Linemen that we can find in the draft.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
It's easy, you grab the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.....it can not fail! If somebody drops out of the top 10 to us, we have to take him regardless, even if it is a CB, God forbid! haha

Like McAllister a few years ago, New Orleans didn't need a RB but look at how they ended up with that pick, it was brilliant.

kind of agree, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. We haven't taken a QB high since Dan Marino. It's been 20+ years since we've used a top 4 pick on a QB, and it shows. This draft should focus on offense early, and defense later. We need some more depth, but that can come later. We need to balance the talent out.

Now, if you say beset player avaliable between a WR, OL, and QB then I might agree more. I still think we need to take into consideration how long it will take that player to play. All 3 need to be addressed in the next 2 seasons, and if you wait until 2 seasons down the road to draft a QB to groom, he won't be ready.

Back
Top Bottom