Miami's Position Grades (Offense) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami's Position Grades (Offense)

colmax

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
It may be a little premature, but grading the positions on the team seemed like a neat way to gather info on how other Miami fans feel about the positions. Again, this is purely "IMO." Some here may have differences and could provide a little more insight. Hope you all enjoy...

Offensive Line
The big issue over the past few years has been the offensive line. No longer are the days the Dolphins play several straight games without allowing a sack. The question was whether or not a sack would cost a game (see Miami vs. Indy in '03). With the acquisition of one of the best O-line coaches in the league, this mediocre squad should improve. Houck has been touted as turning water into wine when it comes to O-lines. We'll see.
*Grade : C-

Running Backs
The days of Ricky may not be over, which could be a good thing. Ronnie Brown was a super pick, but because he is a rookie, the question remains whether or not he will be able to take the full load of an NFL season. I have no doubts that he can. IF Ricky comes back, it can only help Ronnie in the long run (No pun intended). The Dolphins will also benefit from Ronnie's ability to catch the ball in the flat. What has BROWN done for you?
*Grade : B

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends
This group has the best potential on offense to send someone to Hawaii. So who is it going to be: Booker, Chambers, or McMichael? Chambers' potential is dwindling with time. If he doesn't break the 1,000 yd mark this season, consider his career a waste. Booker was a great addition last year, and I can only see him putting up better numbers in the type of offense Linehan runs. McMichael showed good character in saying "No" when asked in an interview if he would holdout for a better contract. He is clearly an underachiever but should make strides this year with a new-found dedication to the game. Hopefully, those strides are over the middle for a touchdown against those stinking Pats!
*Grade : B+

Quarterbacks
Oh, what hasn't been said about A.J. this offseason? I've seen anything from "He's the next best thing," to "This guy is going to stink up the house worse than decomposing fish." So, will the real A.J. please stand up? If A.J. doesn't step it up THIS YEAR, his career as a potential starter will end as quickly as it began. I have no worries with Gus as the backup. He is old, but knows Linehans system. He also has a very good arm, which I like. If Sage starts a game, it is probably because the season is already lost. Let's hope Feely does well.

Overall, I believe this offense has the potential to do great things. Look for bits and pieces of what to expect in '06, when this offense finally gels. This is a new era for the Dolphins offense. I think it will take an entire season to really get a grasp on which direction this team is going. GO FINS!!!

colmax said:
It may be a little premature, but grading the positions on the team seemed like a neat way to gather info on how other Miami fans feel about the positions. Again, this is purely "IMO." Some here may have differences and could provide a little more insight. Hope you all enjoy...

Offensive Line
The big issue over the past few years has been the offensive line. No longer are the days the Dolphins play several straight games without allowing a sack. The question was whether or not a sack would cost a game (see Miami vs. Indy in '03). With the acquisition of one of the best O-line coaches in the league, this mediocre squad should improve. Houck has been touted as turning water into wine when it comes to O-lines. We'll see.

Running Backs
The days of Ricky may not be over, which could be a good thing. Ronnie Brown was a super pick, but because he is a rookie, the question remains whether or not he will be able to take the full load of an NFL season. I have no doubts that he can. IF Ricky comes back, it can only help Ronnie in the long run (No pun intended). The Dolphins will also benefit from Ronnie's ability to catch the ball in the flat. What has BROWN done for you?

This group has the best potential on offense to send someone to Hawaii. So who is it going to be: Booker, Chambers, or McMichael? Chambers' potential is dwindling with time. If he doesn't break the 1,000 yd mark this season, consider his career a waste. Booker was a great addition last year, and I can only see him putting up better numbers in the type of offense Linehan runs. McMichael showed good character in saying "No" when asked in an interview if he would holdout for a better contract. He is clearly an underachiever but should make strides this year with a new-found dedication to the game. Hopefully, those strides are over the middle for a touchdown against those stinking Pats!

Quarterbacks
Oh, what hasn't been said about A.J. this offseason? I've seen anything from "He's the next best thing," to "This guy is going to stink up the house worse than decomposing fish." So, will the real A.J. please stand up? If A.J. doesn't step it up THIS YEAR, his career as a potential starter will end as quickly as it began. I have no worries with Gus as the backup. He is old, but knows Linehans system. He also has a very good arm, which I like. If Sage starts a game, it is probably because the season is already lost. Let's hope Feely does well.

Overall, I believe this offense has the potential to do great things. Look for bits and pieces of what to expect in '06, when this offense finally gels. This is a new era for the Dolphins offense. I think it will take an entire season to really get a grasp on which direction this team is going. GO FINS!!!

OL = B/B+, OL coach A+

RB = C+/B-, a good 1000 yard back, and no true back-up. FB is good.

WR = A

TE = A+, our strongest position, excellent across the board!

QB = D+/C-, im not thrilled about this position. Ferrote is our best option, and thats not saying a whole hell-of-alot.

colmax said:

Offensive Line

Running Backs

Quarterbacks

QB: The majority of you know how I feel about our qb situation. So I wont start another Aj/Gus debate; Ill just leave it at if Gus starts: C+
RB: B/Potential to be A+ if RW comes back and is his old self or anything close to it.
WR: B/B+ (If we get a good 3rd wr like a Boston or Az Hakim) - Depth is a weakness here
OL: C+ - Theres work to be done but i believe theres talent here. Houck did more with less in SD I see no reason he cant excel here.

QB.....C- (AJ didn't show much last year, made some really dumb plays, but with improvement around him he'd have to play better.)

RB.....B (Ronnie Brown is gonna be a good back, next year this could be a B+ to A-)

WR....B- (CC, MB, ...? No real depth, no real #1 guy. When Chambers is on he's a playmaker, but he disappears to often.)

TE...B(+) ( A for recieveing, C+ for blocking)

OL...C (worst unit on the field last year, should improve w/ expeiriance and coaching...but how much?)

This is the type of thread I like. You see how this thread blows up with replies, dont you all? Thats because we got alot of PR toters that have that tremendous evaluation skill, that will actually back up their words in a thread like this with a reply. Thats why they sit out there and nit pick the nay sayers, but never have one valuable reply that puts their money were their mouth is. Wouldnt want to be able to pin them down on one of their skewed philosophies.

Show me the money, rank the segments of the O. Come on, you can do it!

OL- D it stinks
TE- b+ (no-one great backing up mcmike)
WR- B+ could be an 'A' with Boston
QB-D+ very bad QB but i'm sure he will do a lot better next year
RB- B Ronnie Brown and Kayjay could be dangerous, but they are rookies

LithoMan said:
This is the type of thread I like. You see how this thread blows up with replies, dont you all? Thats because we got alot of PR toters that have that tremendous evaluation skill, that will actually back up their words in a thread like this with a reply. Thats why they sit out there and nit pick the nay sayers, but never have one valuable reply that puts their money were their mouth is. Wouldnt want to be able to pin them down on one of their skewed philosophies.

Show me the money, rank the segments of the O. Come on, you can do it!

It's too early to rank our offense. We could guess, but that's about it. So enhance your calm, LithoDude! :lol:

O-line: C - too early to tell what houck will do with this unit, but with the additions of macdougle and the confidence now in carey (im sure he'll be starting somewhere) plus much added depth this unit wlil be better...

RBs: B+ - ronnie will be a diverse force for our team whether running or pass catching or blocking, we have adequate backups in lamar gordon if he stays healthy and sammy morris who got us 4 per during the unmentionable season... if kay jay can step up also could be a deep unit...

WRs: B+ - to me chambers is a number 1 reciever, but if your QB only throws for 2000 yards in a season its hard to get 1000 yards for one player, he'll be utilized more this season and thrive, booker could be the best number 2 reciever in the league and derrius thompson is a great 3rd reciever, big target that has seemed to fix his butter fingers he had ealier in his career... we have young depth behind the big 3 but they are very inexperienced, mcmike is one of the best TEs in the league and i thin khe'll have a solid year again for us...

QB: C - feeley is still an unknown, i personally think he'll do fine next year, but i cant give him a high grade cause we wont know how he'll perform when not in a disaster of a system/offense... frerotte is a fine backup and sage is a quality number 3 if you ask me...

i think everyone would be in agreement, that our O-Line and QB is the big question marks.

QB: C (if you even think about Gus F., your in a world of hurt)
WR: B- (who is your #2?, who is your #3, and what have they done?)
TE: A (not bad here)
RB: B- (they are both rooks, but have potential)
OL: D+ (cant be much worse than last year. so i give them a +).

Offensive Line
Grade : B-

Running Backs
Brown and Ricky
Grade : A

Brown and Other (Kay Jay, Gordon)
Grade : B

Wide Receivers
Chambers, Booker, and (healthy) Boston
Grade : A+

Chambers, Booker, and Hakim/Conway/Thompson
Grade : A-

Tight Ends
Grade : B+ (McMichael is an excellent receiver, but needs to do better blocking.)

Quarterbacks
Grade : B

Interesting speculation…

Obviously in positional terms QB is the biggest unknown. IMO until Feely proves he can be (a) consistent, (b) efficient and (c) make winning plays it’s way too optimistic to conclude this offense can “do great things.â€Â

Regardless of QB developments, or lack thereof, the OL is the real make of break issue if the FINS are going to get out of the cellar. If the OL really excels under new coaching, then the offense in general will be substantially improved. And only if (???) that happens, along with much improved QB play, the offence could actually win a few games instead of lose them.

As far as RB and WR’s etc., their production is entirely contingent upon some solid OL play.

ch19079 said:
QB: C (if you even think about Gus F., your in a world of hurt)
WR: B- (who is your #2?, who is your #3, and what have they done?)
TE: A (not bad here)
RB: B- (they are both rooks, but have potential)
OL: D+ (cant be much worse than last year. so i give them a +).

While I wouldn't rank our receivers higher than a B+ til they prove otherwise, so you're not far off, Booker did make the probowl in Chicago only a couple of years ago.

Back
Top Bottom