Miami's Speed Package | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami's Speed Package

Reading this thread Amendola's 2017 highlights are playing in the upper right corner of my screen from a different website and all I can think of is he is really going to capitalize from all the speed Miami can put on the field, speed clears things out and the smart guy who finds the big opening in the zones is going to catch a lot of balls.

If he stay's healthy he will have a big year - offense could be special so much potential here, Gase just needs to meld it all together

Reading this thread Amendola's 2017 highlights are playing in the upper right corner of my screen from a different website and all I can think of is he is really going to capitalize from all the speed Miami can put on the field, speed clears things out and the smart guy who finds the big opening in the zones is going to catch a lot of balls.

If he stay's healthy he will have a big year - offense could be special so much potential here, Gase just needs to meld it all together

I think you hit on a key point. Weapons and talent can be wasted if Gase doesn't use them properly. Exploit mismatches. Take advantage of the talent. Have creative gameplans. This will be as much on Gase as it is on the players.

This is why we hired Gase. His offense is supposed to be super sophisticated and tough to stop when all the parts are functioning together like a well oiled machine. The problem is, we didn't have the right parts. Now, finally, Gase has Tannehill leading his offense behind a very good (on paper) o-line, he's deep at RB and WR imo and we finally added a legit TE. It's all in on Gase and Tannehill. They'll either do great things together or fail miserably. I see a lot of desire in Tannehill's eyes, he's comin' to play this season. We'll soon see these weapons in action. I can't wait.

Look I’m optimistic. But let’s pump the brakes. At RB we have one who was a backup in college and considered unable to handle starting duties. Then we have an over the hill vet. Next we have an underachiever rookie. And some want to call this great RB depth that should terrorize the league. Please.

I could say the same about anything from LB to DT to WR. There’s a reason why Vegas has us where they do. I expect us to prove them wrong but I am a homer.

I think Albert Wilson, Jakeem Grant, and Mike Gesicki would complement each other well in 12-personnel.

Jakeem forces a defense to think and hesitate when he is on a jet sweep action. Kansas City took advantage of that with Tyreek Hill and Albert Wilson by putting the latter in position to lag behind Hill’s sweep action and then take the shovel pass cutting to the inside of the edge-setting defender (who sets the edge really widely because of Tyreek’s speed).

Kansas City also took advantage of Tyreek’s pure speed on go routes to push shell coverage really deep, and then work Albert Wilson underneath it as he had the ability to be really dangerous after the catch. They would also work Tyreek and Albert on opposite sides, forcing the defense to spread out because of their speed, and that gave them room to work Travis Kelce underneath against man or zone coverage.

One thing about Gesicki is when you look at his Penn State tape, for example there were plays against Michigan State that come to mind, they split him out wide and ran him on routes that you'd otherwise see DeVante Parker running in Miami. That's another thing that makes me believe that you could work in a 12-personnel package with Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson at WR, along with Mike Gesicki and Durham Smythe. You could definitely split Gesicki out wide and turn that into formations you'd otherwise associate with 11-personnel.

That package would give you big pluses in screen blocking. Whatever you think of Mike Gesicki as a blocking tight end, if you were to put him on the perimeter on a Bubble or Tunnel Screen, I'm sure he could be at least as good at blocking as DeVante Parker. We know that both Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson will block their asses off, although you do have to pay some mind to the matchup. As things stand both Laremy Tunsil and Ja'Wuan James are so mobile that they get out to the perimeter well on those screens, so there's a good inherent team advantage regardless of personnel package. Of course Durham Smythe was a very accomplished blocker himself at Notre Dame.

They key is you're not trapped into screens with that 12-personnel package because they can run other things. With Albert Wilson and Jakeem Grant on opposite sides, you can stretch the field horizontally and vertically, providing space for Gesicki to get open. Depending on the amount of cushion you see, you could take the underneath routes all day. If they're aggressive, you could blow them out with a deep ball easily. You could work the aforementioned jet sweep/shovel pass combo (and I'll remind you that Mike Gesicki has experience with shovel passes at Penn State).

So many things you could do out of this, that you could throw it onto the field for a No Huddle series and have a nice number of options to get out there.

I think Albert Wilson, Jakeem Grant, and Mike Gesicki would complement each other well in 12-personnel.

Jakeem forces a defense to think and hesitate when he is on a jet sweep action. Kansas City took advantage of that with Tyreek Hill and Albert Wilson by putting the latter in position to lag behind Hill’s sweep action and then take the shovel pass cutting to the inside of the edge-setting defender (who sets the edge really widely because of Tyreek’s speed).

Kansas City also took advantage of Tyreek’s pure speed on go routes to push shell coverage really deep, and then work Albert Wilson underneath it as he had the ability to be really dangerous after the catch. They would also work Tyreek and Albert on opposite sides, forcing the defense to spread out because of their speed, and that gave them room to work Travis Kelce underneath against man or zone coverage.

One thing about Gesicki is when you look at his Penn State tape, for example there were plays against Michigan State that come to mind, they split him out wide and ran him on routes that you'd otherwise see DeVante Parker running in Miami. That's another thing that makes me believe that you could work in a 12-personnel package with Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson at WR, along with Mike Gesicki and Durham Smythe. You could definitely split Gesicki out wide and turn that into formations you'd otherwise associate with 11-personnel.

That package would give you big pluses in screen blocking. Whatever you think of Mike Gesicki as a blocking tight end, if you were to put him on the perimeter on a Bubble or Tunnel Screen, I'm sure he could be at least as good at blocking as DeVante Parker. We know that both Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson will block their asses off, although you do have to pay some mind to the matchup. As things stand both Laremy Tunsil and Ja'Wuan James are so mobile that they get out to the perimeter well on those screens, so there's a good inherent team advantage regardless of personnel package. Of course Durham Smythe was a very accomplished blocker himself at Notre Dame.

They key is you're not trapped into screens with that 12-personnel package because they can run other things. With Albert Wilson and Jakeem Grant on opposite sides, you can stretch the field horizontally and vertically, providing space for Gesicki to get open. Depending on the amount of cushion you see, you could take the underneath routes all day. If they're aggressive, you could blow them out with a deep ball easily. You could work the aforementioned jet sweep/shovel pass combo (and I'll remind you that Mike Gesicki has experience with shovel passes at Penn State).

So many things you could do out of this, that you could throw it onto the field for a No Huddle series and have a nice number of options to get out there.
Albert Wilson was 15th in the NFL with a 6.7 yards cushion on average, Jakeem Grant didnt make the list due to a lack of targets but I imagine he will get alot of respect in that category in 2018. Thats alot of spacing to work with. Keep in mind that Wilson also led the league in average separation, I know this is correlated to the starting cushion to begin with, but you had his after the catch ability on top of it, defenses are going to have a difficult time handling that package with Grant and Gesicki.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#average-separation

That's exactly what I was thinking. Grant and Wilson on the outside and Gisecki killing teams like Whitten did for years at Dallas or Kelce over in KC. If Grant splits wide they have to account for all that burst coming off the LOS. If he's not doubled he is at the very least accounted for and a CB would have to have some help over the top. Wilson is an equal threat on the other side. The defense has to be prepared for both guys to run straight take offs. That's a lot of focus for the defense and Gase is very good at deploying his receivers in a way as to gain favorable match ups. We could emulate what was done in KC with Hill and Wilson. I can't wait to see 12-personnel deployed with the talent and speed that we can put on the field.

Look I’m optimistic. But let’s pump the brakes. At RB we have one who was a backup in college and considered unable to handle starting duties. Then we have an over the hill vet. Next we have an underachiever rookie. And some want to call this great RB depth that should terrorize the league. Please.

I could say the same about anything from LB to DT to WR. There’s a reason why Vegas has us where they do. I expect us to prove them wrong but I am a homer.
Haven't seen anyone except you say that.

Using the eyeball test, I'd rank them like this.

1. Jakeem Grant … probably by a sizable distance
2. Albert Wilson
3. Kenny Stills, close to Wilson
4. Kenyon Drake, competitive with the top 3
5. DeVante Parker … not quite as close as he thinks, but if it's a longer run, like the 100 yard dash, he'll be fairly close to the pack.
6. TJ McDonald … he'd probably give all 5 of them concussions and walk to the finish line. The time wouldn't be impressive, but the film sure would! P.S. Let's hope this NEVER happens!

Reading all these comments are dangerous for me.
I'm beginning to feel like our O will be unstoppable.
And it's too early for me to think this!
Haha!

Rather see double TEs with a single back.

I'm sure the OP has used Madden to further research his pipe dreams.

I can say one thing for sure
Omar Kelly is the fastest beat writer

an example below

k_Yg_EYyg.gif

Only thing is, Omar when running at full speed, likes to look straight up, instead of in front of him.

Using the eyeball test, I'd rank them like this.

1. Jakeem Grant … probably by a sizable distance
2. Albert Wilson
3. Kenny Stills, close to Wilson
4. Kenyon Drake, competitive with the top 3
5. DeVante Parker … not quite as close as he thinks, but if it's a longer run, like the 100 yard dash, he'll be fairly close to the pack.
6. TJ McDonald … he'd probably give all 5 of them concussions and walk to the finish line. The time wouldn't be impressive, but the film sure would! P.S. Let's hope this NEVER happens!

LMAO!!!! Let's hope not.

The original post was about the whole package, not just RB. You just reframed the concept into something different. Yes, if we're just talking RB without all the rest of the speed and options then I wouldn't be nearly as optimistic either.

Back
Top Bottom