Miami's Speed Package | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami's Speed Package

But RB depth is stacked this year. More stacked than it has ever been in the last couple decades it seems. We have a workhorse veteran who has proven what he can do in this league, another seasoned veteran who has flashed more than just average potential often, and a Rookie whose playing style compliments our 2 first RB's.

If Ballage is at least better than Damien Williams (not hard to do) then we have the deepest backfield since Ricky and Ronnie and we only had 2 guys really then.

This is all assuming Ballage is good, which he seems to be. I have an affinity to researching RB prospects out of college and I think this guy shows a lot of good signs like Jay Ajayi did from his Bosie state highlights. Dont get me wrong, Ajayi is the better back and had the better tape but Ballage does show unique ability during the run.

If he can be coached up more he could be a steal. I hate Tannebaum asich as the last guy but he does know how to pick good RB's and CB's.

Until they go out and do it it's all talk and potential. But, I have a very strong feeling that this offense will be excellent. I think the D will be fast, scrappy and opportunistic and Special Teams should be loaded with new, faster talent. If we can put these pieces together and stay away from devastating injuries we'll be a very good football team.

As far as the RBs, if Gore and Drake can give us what they did last year we'll be in great shape. Of course, Gore is new to our system but vets like him have it together amazingly fast. If Ballage can get 4 or 5 touches a game he'll be lucky. I expect that he'll shine when given opportunities.

I've seen Gazelles get run down and eaten up...no thank you.

I'm fine with any name for the package. 12-personnel works! Do you like the Chita better? Nobody's catching Chitas!

I think Albert Wilson, Jakeem Grant, and Mike Gesicki would complement each other well in 12-personnel.

Jakeem forces a defense to think and hesitate when he is on a jet sweep action. Kansas City took advantage of that with Tyreek Hill and Albert Wilson by putting the latter in position to lag behind Hill’s sweep action and then take the shovel pass cutting to the inside of the edge-setting defender (who sets the edge really widely because of Tyreek’s speed).

Kansas City also took advantage of Tyreek’s pure speed on go routes to push shell coverage really deep, and then work Albert Wilson underneath it as he had the ability to be really dangerous after the catch. They would also work Tyreek and Albert on opposite sides, forcing the defense to spread out because of their speed, and that gave them room to work Travis Kelce underneath against man or zone coverage.

One thing about Gesicki is when you look at his Penn State tape, for example there were plays against Michigan State that come to mind, they split him out wide and ran him on routes that you'd otherwise see DeVante Parker running in Miami. That's another thing that makes me believe that you could work in a 12-personnel package with Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson at WR, along with Mike Gesicki and Durham Smythe. You could definitely split Gesicki out wide and turn that into formations you'd otherwise associate with 11-personnel.

That package would give you big pluses in screen blocking. Whatever you think of Mike Gesicki as a blocking tight end, if you were to put him on the perimeter on a Bubble or Tunnel Screen, I'm sure he could be at least as good at blocking as DeVante Parker. We know that both Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson will block their asses off, although you do have to pay some mind to the matchup. As things stand both Laremy Tunsil and Ja'Wuan James are so mobile that they get out to the perimeter well on those screens, so there's a good inherent team advantage regardless of personnel package. Of course Durham Smythe was a very accomplished blocker himself at Notre Dame.

They key is you're not trapped into screens with that 12-personnel package because they can run other things. With Albert Wilson and Jakeem Grant on opposite sides, you can stretch the field horizontally and vertically, providing space for Gesicki to get open. Depending on the amount of cushion you see, you could take the underneath routes all day. If they're aggressive, you could blow them out with a deep ball easily. You could work the aforementioned jet sweep/shovel pass combo (and I'll remind you that Mike Gesicki has experience with shovel passes at Penn State).

So many things you could do out of this, that you could throw it onto the field for a No Huddle series and have a nice number of options to get out there.
A really informative post, I like it!

I'm the O.P. and I've never seen or played the Madden game in my life so be careful of what you think you're sure of. What I did say is that it's fun to speculate about certain formations or schemes we might try now that we have more speed. I think some others are enjoying the thread. Are you saying our base offense should be 2 TE and a single back? I've got nothing against old school, in fact, I like it, but with all the speed we have at Receiver I think we need to roll out some cooler stuff than 2 TEs.

Look I’m optimistic. But let’s pump the brakes. At RB we have one who was a backup in college and considered unable to handle starting duties. Then we have an over the hill vet. Next we have an underachiever rookie. And some want to call this great RB depth that should terrorize the league. Please.

I could say the same about anything from LB to DT to WR. There’s a reason why Vegas has us where they do. I expect us to prove them wrong but I am a homer.
Wishbone all day long, baby!!!!!!!!! Worked with Cszonka, Kiick, and Morris.

I really get very curious why Miami's offense is viewed to be bad. It's clear they have depth. So I guess people are like, yeah but they have no stars.

Except Kenyan Drake from the time Ajayi was traded through the end of the year...was a star. That's what he was. We're talking 123 carries for 619 yards, 3 TDs, with 29 catches for 232 yards and another TD.

What do you call 95 yards and 0.5 TDs per game on 17 touches, including 5.0 yards per carry?

Over a full season that works out to 219 carries for 1,100 yards, 6 rushing TDs, with 52 catches for 412 yards and 2 more TDs. Just putting it into FF terms, that would've made him the #7 RB in fantasy football, standard PPR scoring. Right up there with guys like LeSean McCoy, Mark Ingram, Melvin Gordon, Kareem Hunt.

So there's your star right there.

And as for the pass catching weapons, there are a ton of them. Kenny Stills has the highest yards per target from the slot of any WR in the NFL over the last 5 years. Jakeem Grant has the highest yards per target from the perimeter of any WR in the NFL over the last 5 years, plus the second highest yards per route figure. Albert Wilson last year was pretty much second only to Jakeem in terms of broken tackles per catch, and created the highest separation per catch of any player receiving target in the NFL. As a slot receiver, Danny Amendola's yards per target in 2017 was basically higher than what Jarvis Landry does in his BEST work. Add DeVante Parker and Mike Gesicki to the mix?

With Laremy Tunsil and Ja'Wuan James as your book-ends, Josh Sitton at left guard?

People act like the offense is going to be bad and it's nonsensical.

Merc, didn't that oline send 2 or 3 guys to the Hall Of Fame? I know Langer and Little are in and Kooch should be but he's not that popular for some reason with the voters. If Sitton is as tough as they say, we should be able to run behind him and Tunsil all day. We have an excellent trio of backs, all who can carry the rock. If the line is getting push and opening holes Gore and Drake are going to kill it!

CK, can't agree more. When I sat down after the draft and penciled in a potential starting line up I felt like we hit some sort of jack pot. It all seemed far too good to be true, especially here in Dolphin land where we have come to expect things to blow up in our faces. We seemed to methodically go about making right move after right move carefully crafting a team first, Championship type mentality.

CK, can't agree more. When I sat down after the draft and penciled in a potential starting line up I felt like we hit some sort of jack pot. It all seemed far too good to be true, especially here in Dolphin land where we have come to expect things to blow up in our faces. We seemed to methodically go about making right move after right move carefully crafting a team first, Championship type mentality.
You nailed it!

In today's world with all the money and glamour attached to professional sports the concept of "team" gets forgotten. Last year we saw what happens when you don't have a team. We had way too many me first guys looking out for themselves and their money and their stats. When a team like that starts losing the wheels come off quickly. That's who we were, but that is not who we are. Who we are now is a team, a good mix of youngsters and vets who possess great desire to win and to improve each day in practice, a bunch of grinders. How quickly this new group transforms into a winning football team remains to be seen but I'm liking what I see so far.

I think our rookie TE is going to take a bit longer to make an impact than people on this board are predicting, but other than that I am also one of the people who is very excited about the pace of our offense and think Vegas is way, way off....

I almost think that Vegas must EXPECT Tannehill to be injured again, as that is the only thing I believe would actually cause us to be any worse than 8-8... with a bit of GOOD injury luck for once I can see this group going 10-6 and being a wildcard again...our pace at WR, RB and TE is very intriguing.

Back
Top Bottom