Michael Bennet visting Dolphins today | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Bennet visting Dolphins today

This all falls on Philben Sherman and Ross who by the way is a True Owner who wants a winning franchise and will not give up until he wins. Who the heck wouldn't want to come to Miami to play in the weather alone. The players around the league know we have 2 of the best offensive minds in the game at the helm. Sherman and Philben were adored by packer fans and players, kudos to Ross and Ireland for getting them. Man i think we are in for some good times....

The biggest concern I have with Michael Bennett (who is a good player that I like a lot) is how he's used.

Weeks ago watching film of various free agents to be, I came up with a problem with respect to how Michael Bennett fits in with the Dolphins. We all know he's been playing from the left side mostly his whole career, that didn't matter to me as much. What mattered is that he SHOULD be playing on the left. His initial explosion is really not very good. He builds up faster and does some other things to get to the quarterback but I think you need that initial quickness and first step if you want to work over NFL left tackles. For him, it's just not there. It's not surprising he ran a 5.00 in the 40 yard dash in Indianapolis.

When you look at the stats on PFF, they really support the point. He's rushed from the left 1011 times and gotten to the QB in a sack, hit or pressure 114 times (11.3%). He's rushed from the right 150 times and gotten to the QB 12 times (8.0%). That difference is about the difference career-wise between Elvis Dumervil and Turk McBride, or from Paul Kruger to Raheem Brock as another example, so I wouldn't exactly trivialize that difference. That would be like saying a running back that averages 3.5 yards per carry is "pretty close" with one that averages 5.0 yards per carry.

Would he do better if asked to train and get used to the right side? You'd hope so. But do we know so? Is it worth the price of admission to find out?

On the other hand one thing I like that he's done is he's moved inside to defensive tackle and rushed the passer there. I like his work there. I would consider making him that kind of player...a right end on base downs, inside on nickel. But I'm not sure how much I'd pay for it. It scares me that you're paying him based on how he's looked at probably his most comfortable position, and now you're inserting him at another position in different roles.

As for Cameron Wake...he's not moving. He should not be moved. He's one of the deadliest pass rushers the NFL has seen in the last 5 years from the left side...if not the deadliest. On the right side he's literally been half as effective.

And it's incorrect that he rushed right side in the CFL. He rushed from the left in the CFL and has done so in the NFL.

ireland going all in with these moves...if he fails and he's gone it will take us five years to dig out of these contracts...enjoy it now fellas cause i doubt we'll be doing anything in free agency again for quite a long time...

i like the bennett move depending on the money...i liked the wallace move but we added $5 mil in incentives we didn't have to for some damn reason...overpaid wheeler something fierce not a fan of that...i'm ok with the ellerbe move...keller depends on the money...

If he didn't he was gone any way.

hell no you don't move cam wake...

i was trying to figure out how we can be delving in all these different free agents...well i think i got it now...in 2014 alone mike wallace contract is $17 mil fully guaranteed and against the cap...$17 mil...wow...i'm betting money that with all these guys we are looking at and bringing in this trend is the same...low in 2013 so we can make all these splashes...but whoppers in 2014 and 2015...

ireland all in and it looks to me like if this fails in his mind it's a who cares...i won't be here to have to deal with it...gonna be some massive numbers on the books in 2014 folks...i don't see any cap flexibility for us to be players any time soon...we are heading into washington and dallas country...gonna lose some good football players down the line also if we keep going this route...

no wonder i hear gibson, winston, bennett, and keller still...yeesh

we already got one bad contract day 1 in philip wheeler...set a bad market there...

i was trying to figure out how we can be delving in all these different free agents...well i think i got it now...in 2014 alone mike wallace contract is $17 mil fully guaranteed and against the cap...$17 mil...wow...i'm betting money that with all these guys we are looking at and bringing in this trend is the same...low in 2013 so we can make all these splashes...but whoppers in 2014 and 2015...

ireland all in and it looks to me like if this fails in his mind it's a who cares...i won't be here to have to deal with it...gonna be some massive numbers on the books in 2014 folks...i don't see any cap flexibility for us to be players any time soon...we are heading into washington and dallas country...gonna lose some good football players down the line also if we keep going this route...

we already got one bad contract day 1 in philip wheeler...set a bad market there...

Apparantly money will be tight in.2014 but 2015.should be ok

Front loading the guarenteed money allows them a reasonable out in 2016. Next couple of years will be tight but I see it as good to see how it gels over two years.

The cap has plateaued the past couple of years. But it is going up in a couple of years. Miami actually picked a smart year to have cap money since so many other teams are strapped. In a couple of years, the cap will increase and Miami will fit these guys in. I am not concerned at all.

Ireland is also picking ascending guys in the 25-30 demographic. It's a pretty good haul and I think it's all good news. I am not going to fret about future caps, because it will be fine.

Agree with everything except about Phil Wheeler. Good player.

so you think that was his market as a free agent in what we now know is a buyers market all the way...i know i'm not by myself with my thoughts on the wheeler deal...there's no way that guy was getting that money looking at his tape...i do think he's a solid football player but there's limitations in his game that you cannot hide...

Front loading the guarenteed money allows them a reasonable out in 2016. Next couple of years will be tight but I see it as good to see how it gels over two years.

true...in 2016...that's 3 years away...which is when i was hoping we could get out...so i get what you're saying...my point though is the next 2 years if all these guys are taking low hits in 2013 you better hope like heck we don't just strike out completely with any of these guys...cause you'll be eating dead money out the nose...

and in free agency you probably don't even have a 50/50 shot at coming out smelling like a rose all told...i do get though that we got younger so you'd think the shelf life would be better...and that's a plus...

and honestly i think with the pats letting welker go for amendola i'd take that any day as a dolphins fan...looks like we are bridging the gap somewhat...but at the same time lets leave a little meat on the cap bone please so next year we have a little bit of options...you got some good football players for us coming up for free agency in the next few years...the kind of guys you don't want to lose i can tell ya that

Yeah, but I am not seeing the Ernest Wilford, Legedu Naanee, Jake Grove, type idiots in this class.

I hear you, though. Starks is the nice big free agency find during Ireland's reign as GM. His success rate so far has been dismal. This year's moves look smarter.

Back
Top Bottom