Michael Deiter Learning From Experience In First NFL Game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Deiter Learning From Experience In First NFL Game

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
I don't think for is the word I would use describe what happened Sunday.

I1568076809771.pngI

Guard Michael Deiter was among 10 Dolphins players who made their NFL debut against the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday.

It was an exciting moment for all of them, no doubt, but it also was an experience from which Deiter and the other nine players can learn.
“It was cool,” Deiter said Monday. “It was an experience for sure. Regardless of what happened — obviously that’s not what you want to happen no matter what game you’re playing in — but it was cool. Just to get it over with and learn from it. There’s a ton that I learned from, and it was fun.

It was a massacre. But, he was an offensive player, and we scored 10 points on the opening day of the season. That's bad, but not putrid … it's the defense that should be utterly humiliated. Deiter played on an OL that allowed 3 sacks … not good, but not as bad as everyone expected. Thanks to Fitzmagic, a poor day of OL didn't look quite as bad statistically. Sure, we couldn't open run lanes, but Deiter will be fine at that, so I'm more concerned with his pass protection. I'm eager to see who was at fault for those 3 sacks. I'm sure the pressures were spread around too. All in all, not a good debut, but not as horrible as a 49 point loss would seem either.

Fingers crossed, because I believe Deiter will be the first piece of a new Dolphins OL.

2nd if you believe Davis can contribute. I think he can...although I don't think he has the feet to make LT his long term home.
Agreed. I think Davis is in the long term plan, at least as a swing tackle if not a starter at RT. But, his age makes him more of a transitional guy than the long term solution, IMHO. Having Davis means they don't need to look for that 5th OL until 2022 or 2023.

It was a massacre. But, he was an offensive player, and we scored 10 points on the opening day of the season. That's bad, but not putrid … it's the defense that should be utterly humiliated. Deiter played on an OL that allowed 3 sacks … not good, but not as bad as everyone expected. Thanks to Fitzmagic, a poor day of OL didn't look quite as bad statistically. Sure, we couldn't open run lanes, but Deiter will be fine at that, so I'm more concerned with his pass protection. I'm eager to see who was at fault for those 3 sacks. I'm sure the pressures were spread around too. All in all, not a good debut, but not as horrible as a 49 point loss would seem either.

Fingers crossed, because I believe Deiter will be the first piece of a new Dolphins OL.

Can't criticize the offense too much when they, and not the defense, were the unit that had so many new players thrust into unanticipated roles on short notice, and the defense gave them no chance in the game and rarely even gave them a chance to be on the field.

Yes you can criticize the offense.

The OL was an unmitigated disaster. The QBs should have crumbled in fear every play. The OL couldn’t run block at all either. Both run and pass, DL was running free at the ball.

Fitz threw a putrid INT. Grant rounded off a route and caused a Rosen INT.

Fitz either completes a 30 yard pass, or a TFL (hyperbole I know). It wasn’t his fault. He took shots because we needed home run

Play calling: your OL sucks. How about a couple of screens up the middle to scare the DL???

Yes you can criticize the offense.

The OL was an unmitigated disaster. The QBs should have crumbled in fear every play. The OL couldn’t run block at all either. Both run and pass, DL was running free at the ball.

Fitz threw a putrid INT. Grant rounded off a route and caused a Rosen INT.

Fitz either completes a 30 yard pass, or a TFL (hyperbole I know). It wasn’t his fault. He took shots because we needed home run

Play calling: your OL sucks. How about a couple of screens up the middle to scare the DL???

After watching the game for second time, I thought the offense did ok. Fitz moved around like a competent QB should. The play calling was not bad actually. There were multiple missed opportunities including wide open receivers. Davenport and Isidora struggled. Davenport blew a block on a beautifully setup screen that should have netted 10-15 yards.

After watching the game for second time, I thought the offense did ok. Fitz moved around like a competent QB should. The play calling was not bad actually. There were multiple missed opportunities including wide open receivers. Davenport and Isidora struggled. Davenport blew a block on a beautifully setup screen that should have netted 10-15 yards.
As @Sirspud said, the line had new guys, that literally, had no time to practice with the team. What do ppl expect in that situation? The line will get better over time. Not a whole lot better, but better.

The defense is far more concerning to me. Those guys should have known their assignments.

Deiter was OK and will improve as the season progresses. At least we have one player on the line going forward.

New Guard, New Tackle who were not even on the roster a week ago...it wasn't good, but not the disaster the DBs were (especially considering that group was all vets, 4 of which have played together for at least a season)

Can't criticize the offense too much when they, and not the defense, were the unit that had so many new players thrust into unanticipated roles on short notice, and the defense gave them no chance in the game and rarely even gave them a chance to be on the field.
Agreed. Given that our LT was thrown into the role for which he was overmatched and had zero practice, we had a rookie next to him, a complete new comers at the other guard and tackle spots … that was a good showing this early in the season for a jumbled OL with only 1 real starter against a talented Baltimore Ravens defense.

Agreed. I think Davis is in the long term plan, at least as a swing tackle if not a starter at RT. But, his age makes him more of a transitional guy than the long term solution, IMHO. Having Davis means they don't need to look for that 5th OL until 2022 or 2023.

Davis is getting a bad deal. 'we're putting you at RG. No, wait? RT. That's it, get your reps there. Um, change of plans. LT.'
Put the guy at RT and leave him alone.

Davis is getting a bad deal. 'we're putting you at RG. No, wait? RT. That's it, get your reps there. Um, change of plans. LT.'
Put the guy at RT and leave him alone.

Davis is not getting a raw deal. Teams reshuffle their line frequently due to injury. Further, the left side of the line was not the problem on Sunday. Isidora and Davenport had a rough first game with the Phins.

I agree that I was expecting the offense to look bad with two new guys on that o-line and yet it was the defense that was horrible. I believe the offense will get a little better as the year goes on and we settle on the 5 starters up front. The defense has a ton of work to do. Making McCain a FS was a mistake imo. Keep moving Minkah around is another mistake. Drat a guy at 11 then freaking find his spot and leave him there but instead they won't even tell him where he's going to be at? Makes no sense to me. Then we have no pass rushers and btw, I didn't see Baker blitz tho he was so good at it in preseason.

Davis is not getting a raw deal. Teams reshuffle their line frequently due to injury. Further, the left side of the line was not the problem on Sunday. Isidora and Davenport had a rough first game with the Phins.

Don't disagree, but don't move ANY projected starting OLmen around and expect top performance. Yes, I realize Tunsil left and I realize injuries happen, but give the guy ONE position and let him practice there. Let's see what he has when given one position.

I agree that I was expecting the offense to look bad with two new guys on that o-line and yet it was the defense that was horrible. I believe the offense will get a little better as the year goes on and we settle on the 5 starters up front. The defense has a ton of work to do. Making McCain a FS was a mistake imo. Keep moving Minkah around is another mistake. Drat a guy at 11 then freaking find his spot and leave him there but instead they won't even tell him where he's going to be at? Makes no sense to me. Then we have no pass rushers and btw, I didn't see Baker blitz tho he was so good at it in preseason.

My HOPE is a lot of things fans DIDN'T see was because Flo was not showing too much too NE.

Back
Top Bottom