Michael Deiters future | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Deiters future

Traditionally, the Patriots have built their line with later-drafted players who are technically sound and coachable, but...

The Patriots have been good. They've had a base of good linemen BEFORE they've brought in reinforcements. They haven't had to spend picks in this area, and I'm pretty sure that this isn't the case with us. We have more of an urgency in this area and I'm not sure that we can afford to wait here.

While I like the idea of the lower drafted linemen, (who wouldn't) I just don't think that we can throw a couple of young QBs to the wolves like that. I'm going to stick to my prediction that the 'Phins will draft at least three linemen in this draft and that at least one of them will be on the first day.

In my tortured mind, I see a pure OLT taken in the first round and a run blocking ORT taken late second or early third. If we can steal one of the Centers somewhere... even better.

Almost agree. I see two FA OL - pick any two you want, but I'm inclined Kilgore and or Davis return as starters, maybe more. All that's precluded with what's available in FA at a reasonable price. That doesn't obviate a high OLman, but it should narrow which position(s) are needed

Traditionally, the Patriots have built their line with later-drafted players who are technically sound and coachable, but...

The Patriots have been good. They've had a base of good linemen BEFORE they've brought in reinforcements. They haven't had to spend picks in this area, and I'm pretty sure that this isn't the case with us. We have more of an urgency in this area and I'm not sure that we can afford to wait here.

While I like the idea of the lower drafted linemen, (who wouldn't) I just don't think that we can throw a couple of young QBs to the wolves like that. I'm going to stick to my prediction that the 'Phins will draft at least three linemen in this draft and that at least one of them will be on the first day.

In my tortured mind, I see a pure OLT taken in the first round and a run blocking ORT taken late second or early third. If we can steal one of the Centers somewhere... even better.

That run blocking ORT more than likely will get exposed and exploited in the passing game by today's DEs and LBs. Just so you know. And sadly, unlike defenses, our offense can't trot out run blocking OL just for running a few plays. Unless, we don't mind telling the world we are gonna run?

Maybe. No way to know til Jan '21/22. Depends on if he can get an NFL body and master the position

Yet, clearly he's not unusual in his progression, given his pedigree. These rookie OL aren't accustomed to seasons this long. We can only hope at this point. :ponder:

Last edited:
Just a guess, but I doubt Flo/Grier will go after one of the top 2 OLmen at any position. A solid, technically sound guy sounds like what they'll want.
I would think thuney, sheriff and Williams are on our list. But at what price I'm not sure.

The problem with trying to patch our line with FAs is that there just aren't any worthy Tackles going to be available... and Tackle is where we suck.

Davis can be a decent Right Guard, but let's be honest. He isnt an NFL Tackle. Dieter, Kilgore, Boehm... all inside players...

We need Tackles. Yes they'll have to run AND passblock. You cant do just one or the other, but they can be better at one or the other (most are).

No QB can win with the awful Tackles that we have now. Bringing in some flashy QB or RB isnt going to work without TACKLES. When our QBs are running for their lives and our backs are getting smothered in the backfield... we are not going to win. I know the fans want a story... want flashy so-called 'skill players', but football is a game of violence and power... and our line is powder puff.

Maybe. No way to know til Jan '21/22. Depends on if he can get an NFL body and master the position

Yup. And player development takes time. I wish we could just load up with a FA line of past performers from other teams. But, from what I've seen, that doesn't always work out. That's why player development is so important. And yeah, worthy FA tackles ain't easy to find. It's why we got so much for Tunsil.

The problem with trying to patch our line with FAs is that there just aren't any worthy Tackles going to be available... and Tackle is where we suck.

Davis can be a decent Right Guard, but let's be honest. He isnt an NFL Tackle. Dieter, Kilgore, Boehm... all inside players...

We need Tackles. Yes they'll have to run AND passblock. You cant do just one or the other, but they can be better at one or the other (most are).

No QB can win with the awful Tackles that we have now. Bringing in some flashy QB or RB isnt going to work without TACKLES. When our QBs are running for their lives and our backs are getting smothered in the backfield... we are not going to win. I know the fans want a story... want flashy so-called 'skill players', but football is a game of violence and power... and our line is powder puff.

nah, this fan wants to build the trenches..and when you don’t draft well you usually have to overspend in FA and that doesn’t usually turn out so well.

build both sides of the line with the draft - this year and next would do wonders IMO.

I’m not sure how many more years of bottom level OL play we can all endure, and it seems like the DL is almost equally inept at this point.

Back
Top Bottom