Michael Dieter, Starter Next Year? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Dieter, Starter Next Year?

Yeah I agree with this, my concern is he does look lost. I hope a couple of new guys next year will destabilize everything. You can't judge him in the big picture of scheme because it requires 5 guys to work in harmony together. is he bad? maybe, but the flipside is that it could be the scheme or his fellow starters. tough to judge. I'm not pressing the bust button for a while still
7 different line combinations starting 10 games. The left side struggled but held up in pass pro against Indy but physical teams like Buffalo maul our line.

I think we will see the 'phins sign one front line OT in free agency, and draft an OT and a Center in the first 2 rounds.

Dieter, Boehm, and Davis are the only ones currently on the roster that look safe. I think we will get 2 guards and our swing inside lineman out of these three.

Prince has a chance to stick as our swing tackle.

Think he'll get some competition, but nothing like another high draft pick or big FA signing.

Sure the FO will address some holes on the OL but won't go in with the mindset of 5 new players.
Think they'll aim for 3 new starters via the draft/FA and then hope some young guys develop this offseason.
If no improvement, then draft their replacement for 2021.

Not sure I kicked him to the curb, never said he was awful, but as usual you put words in people’s mouths. Basically asking how confident people feel with him going forward. Is he Better than expected, worse than expected or doing as expected?

What about all those vets playing next to him?
Further, how is a rookie expected to realistically develope when he can't learn a single thing from those bunches of sorries?
Come on man! The OL is supposed to operate as a cohesive unit. If the Vets can't hold their own water then i'm definitely not singling out the rookie.

How they heck can you even realistically evaluate him at this stage?
Put him next to better talent that can resonably hold their own and can teach the kid something.
Accomplish that and then we can "evaluate' this young talent.
Until then this thread can go kick some rocks..

Last edited:
I think Boehm and Deiter will be depth pieces next year. Beyond that it needs a major overhaul.

Boehm plays a better pivot than guard. Kilgore’s probably the highest graded o line man right now. But I could see boehm back for his versatility etc.

Depends on how he improves between now and next years training camp. If Dieter is playing at the same level he's shown during the first half of the season I doubt he starts.

Not a single lineman on our roster would start for a contending team or one with an elite line. While I would love to replace all 5, it is more likely that Deiter and Davis stick around and probably are forced to start next year out of necessity. I would like to see both of them as the primary backups going forward, but we won't have enough assets to replace them in one offseason.

He's not one of my top concerns at the moment.

Probably the most relevant point when assessing the situation right now.

Most teams go into an off season with penciled in starters and look to fill in the voids through FA and the draft.

I am clearing the slate completely, 5 spots up for grabs.

our O line needed a major overhaul last year. and the year before. and the year before. and the....

yet here we are headed into the 2020 offseason and our OL needs... a major overhaul.

I'd like to see us address LT, C and RT, in that order, with "premium" draft picks (day 1 &2) and FAs before we worry about LG. Bring in some competition for Dieter (day 3 picks and lower tiered FA) but see what he can do with another year of experience & training and more talent around him before spotlighting him for an upgrade is my thought.

I see us drafting two and signing two (bigger names) with a good amount (3+) of depth/treasure hunting signings.

actually, he was known for being technically sound. So, it's likely he'll improve. I wouldn't give up on him by any means. Tough stretch for him, though.

Deiter was graded as a late 3rd-5th round pick coming out of college. Despite being an “iron man” at Wisconsin, there were significant red flags against him such as a lack of athleticism and playing stiff in pass protection (locked upright). He has played pretty much how you’d expect a 22 year old rookie mid round pick would surrounded by a revolving door of practice squad players. I have zero concerns about him this year. When we draft or add some starting caliber OL next year, and he has another full offseason in our program, I will start to evaluate him. Very few OL play well as rookies to begin with, and the ones that do tend to be 1st round picks or guys on already talented, healthy O lines.

Back
Top Bottom