Michael Dieter, Starter Next Year? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Dieter, Starter Next Year?

Deiter was graded as a late 3rd-5th round pick coming out of college. Despite being an “iron man” at Wisconsin, there were significant red flags against him such as a lack of athleticism and playing stiff in pass protection (locked upright). He has played pretty much how you’d expect a 22 year old rookie mid round pick would surrounded by a revolving door of practice squad players. I have zero concerns about him this year. When we draft or add some starting caliber OL next year, and he has another full offseason in our program, I will start to evaluate him. Very few OL play well as rookies to begin with, and the ones that do tend to be 1st round picks or guys on already talented, healthy O lines.

It simply comes down to...he hasn't done enough to say he is definitely the starter, but he hasn't done enough to completely dismiss him. He will come back and be able to compete.

There are times I wonder what the heck he's thinking as I watch him miss an assignment allowing a free rusher into the back field. Sometimes its beyond ridiculous when it happens. I agree he's not the only issue on the left side as Webb and Davenport are awful and neither should be back next year but Deiter has been bad at times. I think Davis moving back inside may be the only starter next year out of this current group.
I call 100% BS. You, me , fans don't know his assignments. This is discussed everyday with sports analysts. They fully admit it's near impossible for anyone outside of the team to determine whose assignment is what on any particular play.

Possibly, but I think the main goal of the offseason will be to upgrade all areas across the o-line. Depending on where those upgrades end up will determine who on the current line will have a shot to start.

I fully expect at least 3 new starters next year on the o-line.

Agree. Offseason will be triage. Identify the worst OLmen and replace. Continue process as opportunity presents. where does Deiter fall on that list? No idea, but he won't be bottom 2.

Not sure I kicked him to the curb, never said he was awful, but as usual you put words in people’s mouths. Basically asking how confident people feel with him going forward. Is he Better than expected, worse than expected or doing as expected?

I'll say on some plays he's worse, some about as expected, some better. Many people underestimate the importance of communication and consistency along the OL. Like it or not, Flo and staff will make that decision. Are his bad plays communication, technique, just lack of talent? If they think they can get him to 'average,' I'm guessing he stays

He'll definitely be a starter next season. He's a 3rd round pick. Because he's a rookie, he's the only person on the line who deserves another shot. Calhoun and Davis maybe but, we'll focus on the Tackles and Center in the draft. Unless Dieter completely fails in camp, he'll get another shot next season.

Miami very likely will need 5 new starters on the offensive line. And if Deiter is starting, you better hope there aren't any guys starting who are worse than him.

Miami very likely will need 5 new starters on the offensive line. And if Deiter is starting, you better hope there aren't any guys starting who are worse than him.

I'll be surprised if all 5 starters on the OL next year are new to the team.

don't know how we missed so bad on Deiter, he needed to come in and at least be passable from the start

don't know how we missed so bad on Deiter, he needed to come in and at least be passable from the start
Third round rookie. He is "passable".

Most 3rd rd rookies struggle a bit, and he came into a situation with no cohesive foundation, whatsoever.

Could it be going better? Absolutely, but it could be worse, as well.

If you expect a mid round gaurd to come in and dominate ppl, you are asking too much, IMO.

I'm not saying future pro bowler, or anything, but let's be realiatic.

When the entire group is struggling it's hard for one offensive lineman to standout. I think that's part of the problem.

Its obvious that the line needs a near complete overhaul.

? Why? Losing weight at OL is kinda pointless... He's not a TE or a RB, losing 10 pounds is not going to make him suddenly faster.
Yeah, i didn't get tgat either. If he's soft (i haven't heard any reference to that being the case), he should turn it into muscle, which usually means weight gain.

Yeah, i didn't get tgat either. If he's soft (i haven't heard any reference to that being the case), he should turn it into muscle, which usually means weight gain.

Yeah, his body composition isn't an issue, he actually has a really solid build for a guard, not sloppy. I'd prefer the guards to have a thicker lower body, but he doesn't have "thin leg syndrome".

His issue is lateral movement, I don't know how much anyone can improve in that area, that is sort of a natural thing athlete have, but he seems like a player that will take the coaching and work on his issues and that is all anyone can ask at this point.

Back
Top Bottom