Michael Turk...Dolphins Next Punter? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Turk...Dolphins Next Punter?

Michael Turk is not Matt Turk. It is wrong to cast him in the same light. Yes, Michael plays the same position as his Dad (who played for 17 seasons in the NFL with 8 NFL teams (incl Miami twice) and made 3 Pro Bowls). The heritage is actually pretty decent, but Michael needs to be assessed on his own merits.
Uncle.

It’s interesting and telling that we brought in Bailey and Turk — both punters with monster legs who struggle with directional punting and pinning teams inside the 20.

I don’t think that’s a mistake. It seems our philosophy is accounting for our offensive style. We may have the rare three and out, where we need the punter to flip the field for us with a 60 yard bomb. But we don’t seem to especially care to punt from the 50 and play the field position game.

I like that.

Michael Turk is not Matt Turk. It is wrong to cast him in the same light. Yes, Michael plays the same position as his Dad (who played for 17 seasons in the NFL with 8 NFL teams (incl Miami twice) and made 3 Pro Bowls). The heritage is actually pretty decent, but Michael needs to be assessed on his own merits.
I was merely referencing that he is the family of a Dolphins punter named Matt Turk. Don't know where you're getting the rest from regarding what I said.

Punter is a wasted roster spot on this team.

Analytics says we should go for it every time on 4th down. And I doubt we'll even get to 4th down very often, if at all this season.

Punter is a wasted roster spot on this team.

Analytics says we should go for it every time on 4th down. And I doubt we'll even get to 4th down very often, if at all this season.
Are you saying McDaniel needs to be more ballsy on 4th down? because He was pretty ballsy as it is last year.

This guy has a cannon for a leg.

Michael Turk Is Going to Make Punting Cool Again

• In 2021, he averaged 51.2 yards and a 4.20 hangtime, among the best in that class
  • In 2022 with the punter-hating ball, he averaged 46.6 yards and a 4.18 hangtime and was the nation’s top-rated punter
  • In the Shrine Bowl, he upped his stats to 49.2 yards and a 4.39 average hangtime, with a 67 yarder and 3 of 5 punts inside the 20 yardline

Overall punting stats​

His hangtime, second only to Michigan’s Brad Robbins, limited returners to a 2.9 average return. Only Adam Korsak was better. And Turk put 22 of his 63 punts over 60 yards. He can boot.

Open-field punting​

On his 55 open-field punts (punts from behind mid-field), on average he punted from his own 42 yardline and netted 47.5 yards, eating up over 80% of the field position, best in this class. He put 14 of his open field punts inside the 10 yardline and 3 inside the 5 yardline, including this beauty.

Short-field punting​

Most think punting is dying but when you look at usage, it’s really short-field punting that is dying. But it’s still important to get the ball inside the 10 yardline when teams do it.

Here, Turk is often overlooked because he is known for his leg. But on short-field punts (punts from inside the 50 yardline), he gained 69% of field position, second best in this class behind Adam Korsak who is absolutely elite on short-field punts. Turk forced opponents to average a start at the 14 yardline.

Punting from deep​

One area where many punters suffer is when they are backed up deep in their own territory. And it’s where a punter can really dig their team out of a hole… or hand the opponent some easy points.

From punts inside his own 10 yardline, Turk made use of his leg and averaged 52 yards on four punts, forcing the opposing team to start in their own territory on each one, almost 10 yards better than the rest of this class.

I'm rooting for this guy, he can be a real weapon for this defense, in turn setting up up the offense for very short fields.

I recall Matt Turk laying out a couple of guys with big hits during his career. It's depressing, but internet search features have become so neutered and aggressively useless that I can't find a clip of them anywhere.

I'd rather we bring in Newbomb Turk. Not sure how his punting is, but he does a great version of Volare!

I'd rather we bring in Newbomb Turk. Not sure how his punting is, but he does a great version of Volare!

GIF by NETFLIX

We cannot understate the importance of field position in the game. One of the biggest influences is the punter. Keeping an opponent having to drive 80 yards each time they have possession decreases their probability of scoring a touchdown. I won't bore you with the numbers, but I think this is an obvious statement. We have experienced poor special teams play which I think the fins will improve upon. It is great to score but if your opponent's only having to drive 60 yards for a touchdown turns those odds. Plus, teams are more conservative with their playbooks the closer they are to their own endzone because a turnover can be devastating.
I wonder if the punt god, Matt Araiza, could be put back into play in the NFL? Please don' let the Bills resign him!

Apparently the knock on him is he can’t directionally punt… guess will see if they can work on that with him.
I don't care about directional punting and pinning them back as much as I do someone that routinely buries it in the endzone. Our ST D has been trash. Until you can pin them around the five, I'll take them at the 25 over them picking it up at the 5 and taking it 35 or 40 yards like they have been. Same with kickoffs. Bury the bastard. Don't get cute. Let Vic's D take care of the rest.

Back
Top Bottom