Mid/Late round target - Walter Thomas DT | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mid/Late round target - Walter Thomas DT

SwampDawg

Starter
Reaction score
I've read of this guy being referred to as a Man Mountain, 6'4", 370 lbs. Should probably play around 340-350 once on a formal weight program. He went to Okalahoma State for one year then left and attended NW Mississippi Junior College. Even with his size they say he can run a 4.8 to 4.9 40 and has freakish athletic ability. He is taking part in the Texas vs Nation college all-star game (new this year) and is said to be dominating in drills. Scouts are apparently drooling over him.

Thomas is on the left, the little guy on the right is 6'3" 310 lbs.
imgp0020hz5-1.jpg

I'll be interested to hear the official reports on him.. from what you have said, it will be hard not to be intrigued by him. The FA option, however, that I think we are overlooking is Raiders DT Terdell Sands. He is going to be a UFA and is truly a mountain of a man at 6'7 340. Not to mention, he is also pretty young (27 I think)...He would give us some solidarity in a shaky position.

Did a little more digging on Walter, he only played 2 games in 2006 (not sure why, couldn't find anything if it was an injury or academic), but in those 2 game he had 16 tackles (12 solo, 4 assisted), 9 tackles for loss and 4 sacks.

More buzz on Walter Thomas:

Walter Thomas, DT, North Mississippi CC – Your star of the weigh-in. He drew reactions ranging from gasps to smiles to a simple shake of the head in disbelief. Thomas is 6’4†370. He’s got some baby fat, but he’s a legit 335 without it, and that’s without the benefit of a formal weight training regimen – just natural size. His upper body weighs more than I do, and I love fried food. His body screamed NFL.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/senior/texas.html

While I think this or another lessor known guy could be a great person to plug the middle, I think the scouts will need to do their homework on this guy. While size and some speed are a great start, there's still a little more to playing that just being big. There may be reasons why he dropped out of OK St. Maybe legit, maybe not. There could be a LOT of baggage with this guy that we just might not need. I'm all for finding diamonds in the rough, but let's not take too many more "flyers" on guys than we have to. Let's see what the scouts say, they obviously must have been there.

I'll be interested to hear the official reports on him.. from what you have said, it will be hard not to be intrigued by him. The FA option, however, that I think we are overlooking is Raiders DT Terdell Sands. He is going to be a UFA and is truly a mountain of a man at 6'7 340. Not to mention, he is also pretty young (27 I think)...He would give us some solidarity in a shaky position.

Good point on Sands. A lot of people forget that the Raiders defense was actually pretty good last year, and he played a pretty good part in that.

There is no questioning that this kid is an imposing figure, but I don't know if we should consider him. We already have one small school defensive line project (Fred Evans) and one with a weight problem (Manny Wright). I think if we could get him very late in the draft or as an undrafted free agent, then he is worth a look.

He’s got some baby fat, but he’s a legit 335 without it, and that’s without the benefit of a formal weight training regimen – just natural size

Nobody is naturally 300 pounds even at 6'7'' :D

Sounds an interesting player though.

Terdell Sands was re-signed by the Raiders to a four year contract. I wanted us to grab him but Raiders went after him in a flurry before FA even started. Sorry to burst your bubble but draft is the only place now to find a young NT prospect. Walter Thomas and Paul Soliai are gems in the later rounds if we pass on Alan Branch.

Terdell Sands was re-signed by the Raiders to a four year contract. I wanted us to grab him but Raiders went after him in a flurry before FA even started. Sorry to burst your bubble but draft is the only place now to find a young NT prospect. Walter Thomas and Paul Soliai are gems in the later rounds if we pass on Alan Branch.

Shame. I was looking forward to hearing the play-by guy say "Terdell".

I've read of this guy being referred to as a Man Mountain, 6'4", 370 lbs. Should probably play around 340-350 once on a formal weight program. He went to Okalahoma State for one year then left and attended NW Mississippi Junior College. Even with his size they say he can run a 4.8 to 4.9 40 and has freakish athletic ability. He is taking part in the Texas vs Nation college all-star game (new this year) and is said to be dominating in drills. Scouts are apparently drooling over him.

Thomas is on the left, the little guy on the right is 6'3" 310 lbs.
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8196/imgp0020hz5.jpg
Looks like the fridge to me.:fatman:

Back
Top Bottom