Mike Gesicki Vs Oj Howard & David Njoku | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Gesicki Vs Oj Howard & David Njoku

I posted this in a previous thread.

Compare against OJ Howard (Gesicki in parenthesis):
6'6 251 (6'6 247)

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.51 SEC (4.54)
  • BENCH PRESS: 22 REPS (22)
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 30.0 INCH (41.5)
  • BROAD JUMP: 121.0 INCH (129)
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 6.85 SEC (6.76)
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.16 SEC (4.1)
  • 60 YARD SHUTTLE: 11.46 SEC (11.33)
26 rec/ 432 yards/ 16.6 avg/ 6 tds

Compare against David Njoku (Gesicki in parenthesis):
6'4 246 (6'6 247)
  • 40 YARD DASH: 4.64 SEC (4.54)
  • BENCH PRESS: 21 REPS (22)
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 37.5 INCH (41.5)
  • BROAD JUMP: 133.0 INCH (129)
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 6.97 SEC (6.76)
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.34 SEC (4.1)
32 rec/ 386 yards/ 12.1 avg/ 4 tds

If Gesicki couldn't run routes well or his speed was slow, there is no way he would have been as effective as he was at Penn State.

College stats:

Gesicki:
Junior: 48/679 14.1 avg 5 tds
Senior: 57/563 9.9 avg 9 tds

OJ Howard:
Junior: 38/602 15.8 avg 2 tds
Senior: 45/595 13.2 avg 3 tds

Some people might be concerned that Gesicki's receptions increased to 57 his senior season but his yards decreased and his yards per reception dropped to 9.9. I would actually say that shows me he was grinding out yardage and not getting by on just making plays down field because he's athletic and quick. I'm sure the Dolphins will having fun finding new ways to use in the short passing game and downfield. If defenders are giving him a big cushion he can eat them alive on short curls, out routes and crossing routes.

Last edited:
Hard to compare. I think Gesicki might end up being the best redzone threat of the three with the way he can outjump people. I was always impressed with Njoku's run after the catch ability and I like his physicality with the ball in his hands. Howard is pretty complete.

Will be fun to watch these guys. I think with Gase, Geiscki has a chance to really be something special.

Gesicki is a fine TE prospect but he's no where near the same talent as OJ Howard and David njoku, hence why they were selected much higher. They are more athletic TE and Howard is definitely a much better blocker.

But obviously that doesnt mean gesicki wont be as good or better than those guys. Eric ebron was supposed to be a freak TE and was looked at as superior prospect compared to Zach Ertz and Travis Kelce who were drafted in 2nd or 3rd rounds.
Actually, Gesicki is a better athlete than both of them, but I would say all three are in the same tier.

Travis Wingfield did an excellent piece on the Dolphins Offseason after the draft here:

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/dolphins/the-new-new-miami-part-two-of-miamis-off-season-vision/

If you scroll down a bit you will see Mike Gesicki's Relative Athletic Scorecard (RAS), which is an analytics evaluation system somewhat similar to the SPARQ system. They graded Gesicki as the 3rd best TE prospect they have ever tested, so 3 out of 781. Literally, the only metric where Gesicki was not top shelf elite was .... wait for it ... weight. Sorry, you gotta eat some more doughnuts to get that one Mike. Athletically, Mike Gesicki is a slightly better version of Jimmy Graham ... yeah, he's the real deal athletically.

Now, you're absolutely correct about his blocking. But it's more 'want to' than ability with him. I did an analysis of his Michigan game here:

https://finheaven.com/threads/mike-gesicki-blocking.347397/#post-7626704

and concluded that he blocked better the closer to where the play was schemed to go. And, he's a better pass protector than run blocker. But if he puts his mind to it, he has potential as a blocker too ... we just cannot be sure he will put his mind to that aspect of the position. OJ Howard is and will likely always be a superior blocker. But, IMHO, Gesicki will be significantly better as a move TE (pass catcher) than any of the guys you mentioned.

This draft had more depth at TE and more talent overall than the one where Howard and Njoku went, so it is not surprising that the TE's went in the second round. Frankly, most people were surprised Baltimore reached for Hurst in the 1st. Gesicki is clearly the most athletic TE to have come out since the Gronkowski, Graham draft.

Last edited:
I never liked OJ Howard as a 1st rounder. I did not want to over-think him, certainly, because at that position the athletic dynamos tend to rise to the top.

But my argument with him was that everyone where rating him high based on his blocking ability, whereas blocking ability in a tight end tends to be, 1) as erratic in its projection as anything else with a draft prospect, and 2) not really that important in the NFL anymore.

When a guy like Howard is a good blocker there is a tendency for people to say, well, whatever happens with the player overall, THIS is something we know about him. There is no projection here. This is something he has. But that is BS. It is all projection, and it is all subject to error terms.

Howard is a perfect example. Look at his block grades this year. Bad. I tried to tell people that what he seemed to be as a blocker at Bama was a really gifted MOVE blocker, from a floating H-Back position, getting out and using his quick feet to get in front of blockers in space and then allowing his frame, strength, and physicality do the rest. He was NEVER a great attached blocker who was gonna block a DE like an OT and think nothing of it. Watching try and do that against Daeshon Hall of Texas A&M, even setting aside Myles Garrett, was instructive this way. But people insisted he was like, totally awesome as a blocker. So the Buccaneers put too much on his plate, and he did not do so well.

The other thing was as a pass catcher, I just did not see the play making SKILLS. I saw the play making athleticism, strength, and speed, and that is why I kept having to remind myself not to over-think him. But the skills? The stuff that makes you say, man what a football player that guy is? Did not see much.

Not surprised the Buccaneers find themselves in the awkward position of handing out a #1 TE financial commitment to Cameron Brate (a six year, $41 million deal!!) one year after drafting OJ Howard high.

People and Bucs fans may be under the false impression that the Bucs will merely use 2-TE personnel all day. Nobody does that. Not even the Bucs.

The NFL uses “12” personnel only 19% of downs as a league, and the very HIGHEST among teams was the Baltimore Ravens at 34%. The Colts did 28% and the Bucs came in fifth at a mere 24%.

So no, it will not be easy for the Bucs to get their money’s worth out of both Cam Brate and OJ Howard, and yes the financial commitment to Brate reflects that Howard is not necessarily the guy they hoped.

So you ask me if Gesicki stacks up better for me than OJ Howard, and that is an easy answer for me. Yes. Easily. As does Mark Andrews, IMO.

David Njoku is tougher. Njoku DID have a bunch of those natural play making skills in addition to the athleticism. But so does Gesicki. Njoku was also IMO a **** blocker, like Gesicki. I give the edge to the guy with the better SIZE because it can matter. That is Gesicki.

Not surprised the Buccaneers find themselves in the awkward position of handing out a #1 TE financial commitment to Cameron Brate (a six year, $41 million deal!!) one year after drafting OJ Howard high.

Yeah that thought came to my mind when I saw that contract for Brate...........Thanks for the insight

Mike Gesicki brings a Small Foward/Power Foward type athletism to the TE position, especially, in the Red Zone. He can simply out jump most players that will cover him. He has tremendously strong hands and may be able to hold onto most footballs, in a contested ball situation, whereas, others may not. His Volleyball background which was recognized as top notch by the state of New Jersey, helps in terms of those same contested ball situations, because of his prowess around the Net. I believe he has the makings of a generstional type TE prospect. His work ethic is second to none. And any short comings that may pop up during his play, he'll address until he feels he's corrected them.

Back
Top Bottom