Mike Gesicki Vs Oj Howard & David Njoku | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Gesicki Vs Oj Howard & David Njoku

Gesicki is a better athlete just not as polished of a TE prospect. Very raw Still

Every rookie has to be coached up and can be considered 'raw'. However it seems as if you are emphasizing that Gesicki is 'VERY' raw. What are you getting at here? Very raw as compared to who? OJ Howard when he was drafted? How has Mike's limitations due to being 'VERY raw' affected him in college?

Every rookie has to be coached up and can be considered 'raw'. However it seems as if you are emphasizing that Gesicki is 'VERY' raw. What are you getting at here? Very raw as compared to who? OJ Howard when he was drafted? How has Mike's limitations due to being 'VERY raw' affected him in college?

Very raw may not have been the best words but in terms of of where is when it comes to knowing pro assignments? Yes he is. The very raw saying was more towards the comment that he wasn't the prospect Njoku and Howard were. Honestly would not have shocked me if Gesicki had snuck into the first with his athleticism. He's gotta work on technique but there's no reason he can't be a guy who at the very least outjumps defenders as a rookie then becomes a top notch TE by year 2 or 3... especially with how Gase schemes to get TEs open

Howard, Njoku, Gesicki

In terms of raw I’d put Njoku on top of the list. Howard still has to contend with Cameron Brate for looks and targets.

Njoku was raw

Howard is very good but Tampa struggled last year

Gesicki reminds me of Jordan Cameron(hopefully the Cleveland one)

We're worried about his speed now? Look at Gronk, slow as rocks dumb as rocks and still gets it done because he's huge. Everyone relax
Actually Gronkowski is very fast, he pulls away from LB's. We don't have a time on him because he was recovering form a season out from back injury when the combine rolled around, but if he were healthy and ran he would have tested around a 4.6 I'm guessing based on his play speed in college. Looking at him in the NFL, he's definitely fast.

That's part of the problem facing him. He is way too big and long for DB's and too fast for most LB's except those new-breed types that are 6'0 lightweight safeties for all intents and purposes. He is the very definition of the mismatch TE.

While Gesicki isn't as muscular and maybe an inch shorter than Gronkowski, they are similar. Gesicki is likely faster and jumps significantly higher, so they are similar as red zone threats, and Gesicki might pull away from LB's even faster than Gronkowski, so in the passing game, Gesicki's upside is virtually unlimited.

True, and the general rule in the NFL is that TE's take 2 years to develop, so no matter how good Gesicki is this year, he projects to be even better next year. With that in mind, don't close the book on guys like OJ Howard or David Njoku just yet, as they're in that developmental phase still too.

Some people might be concerned that Gesicki's receptions increased to 57 his senior season but his yards decreased and his yards per reception dropped to 9.9. I would actually say that shows me he was grinding out yardage and not getting by on just making plays down field because he's athletic and quick. I'm sure the Dolphins will having fun finding new ways to use in the short passing game and downfield. If defenders are giving him a big cushion he can eat them alive on short curls, out routes and crossing routes.

mcsorely was looking to gesicki as his go to guy on short yardage situations more this past season, thats why his ypc went down and he had more catches, teams even knew the ball was going to gesicki in those situations too

To be honest TE's are hit or miss even if they had outstanding college careers. One example: The Colts drafted Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen at the same time/same draft except that Dwayne Allen was drafted later but was making more plays than Fleener who many thought would be the next Gronk. That combo never translated into anything special. Travis Kelce is another one who many felt was not a 1st round talent. He is probably the best TE in the NFL right now.

To be honest TE's are hit or miss even if they had outstanding college careers. One example: The Colts drafted Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen at the same time/same draft except that Dwayne Allen was drafted later but was making more plays than Fleener who many thought would be the next Gronk. That combo never translated into anything special. Travis Kelce is another one who many felt was not a 1st round talent. He is probably the best TE in the NFL right now.
Actually, I think Dwayne Allen was drafted before Fleener, and Allen was rated ahead of him, started ahead of him, and lasted longer than him. It doesn't always work out that way (e.g. RGIII and Kirk Cousins), but this time it worked out as planned. IMHO, Fleener never lived up to his potential.

Allen was drafted 64th overall while Fleener was drafted 34th overall in 2012.

College stats:

Gesicki:
Junior: 48/679 14.1 avg 5 tds
Senior: 57/563 9.9 avg 9 tds

OJ Howard:
Junior: 38/602 15.8 avg 2 tds
Senior: 45/595 13.2 avg 3 tds

Looking at these stats, if you want a TE that averages more yards per catch, go with Howard.

Now if if you want a TE that gets you more receptions and TDs per game...Gesicki is your man.

I know who I prefer, and can't wait for the season to start, so that Ryan can start getting used to him in game situations.

Some people might be concerned that Gesicki's receptions increased to 57 his senior season but his yards decreased and his yards per reception dropped to 9.9. I would actually say that shows me he was grinding out yardage and not getting by on just making plays down field because he's athletic and quick. I'm sure the Dolphins will having fun finding new ways to use in the short passing game and downfield. If defenders are giving him a big cushion he can eat them alive on short curls, out routes and crossing routes.

His TDs also increased...considerably. That tells me that he was used more in the redzone, where the yard per catch stats will take a hit (With less space to get yards), but if successful, more TDs.

Miami in years past with Ryan has shown to be able to more the ball from redzone to redzone, but then have to settle for FGs because Miami had nobody that could become that scary mismatch in the endzone...IMO, Miami did not just draft one, but very possibly two TEs that can become dangerous.

Give me a bunch of a TDs with low yards per catch, and I will be very happy with the TE position.

Back
Top Bottom