Mike Gesicki | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Gesicki

He looks more like an accountant for a used call lot.
Yeah and Cambell looked the part, but it's usually the guys that had the less physical tools who make higher quality coaches. They tend to have to be more students of the game, but of course there is always exceptions from both sides of the spectrum.

Now that was a wasted pick super. He was terrible.

I'm hoping the TE coach is dynamite and gets the best out of his players just in a room of coaches I would not pick him out as the TE coach.

He can’t block, everyone gets it, but he wasn’t brought here to block. He has a rare combo of size, speed, and athletic ability who can get the ball at the high point. He will be a very large WR till he develops his blocking.

Did you see his 1 handed catch today in the end zone? This why he is here... A red zone threat.

I think you are referring to Les Brown. He played basketball in college and then became an accountant but decided to give football a go. As I remember, he had super athletic ability but you are right, he was embarrassed when called on to block.

You are comparing Gesicki to a guy who never played college football? Penn St didn’t care about Mike’s lack of blocking as he was catching TDs just as the Dolphins won’t.

egnew was trash. slow, soft, fat and couldn't block.

Michael Egnew? 3rd round pick
No, it wasn't Egnew. Pretty sure he was a baseball( maybe basketball) player who played football in college. He had a good-looking girlfriend that people drooled over. He was a white guy if that helps. If anyone knows, please chime in.

Les Brown
e86f9a8a98f39e4f2736168a203811a9--jamie-lynn-watch-football.jpg

If serious blocking is required from the TE, it will probably be done by Durham Smythe. Don't think of Gesicki as a traditional TE. Think of him as a 6'5" receiver with genuine speed, terrific hands and leaping skills (like Mike Evans at the Bucs). Maybe his blocking skills can progressively improve with lots of practice, but for now think of him as red zone weapon. Remember Gesicki caught 97% of his passes last season at Penn State. Ryan Tannehill just needs to get the ball near him and the big boy will catch it.

Last edited:
Well, Les Brown was an accountant and Gesicki took business classes at PSU. Pretty much the same.
Bingo. That is him. I'm not comparing Gesicki to Brown, but there are similarities. Brown was having a good camp catching the ball, but he could not block. Same for Gesicki. They cut Mike some slack, but Brown was not given any leeway. I just find it interesting that the higher you get drafted the more opportunities you are afforded even when you are abysmal at one of the requirements of your position. So after sitting on a roster after 4 or 5 years, instead of a player that can actually perform the requirements of the position, these players unceremoniously shown the door. Instead you could have had a more well rounded player that is maybe not as athletic, but can give you a bigger contribution. I would take a player like Anthony Fasano over Julius Thomas everyday and twice on Sunday.

I am not implying this is what is going to happen to Mike. I hope he can become a complete TE and I expect it to happen. This is just a statement about the league in general.

Back
Top Bottom