Mike Gesicki | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Gesicki

Bingo. That is him. I'm not comparing Gesicki to Brown, but there are similarities. Brown was having a good camp catching the ball, but he could not block. Same for Gesicki. They cut Mike some slack, but Brown was not given any leeway. I just find it interesting that the higher you get drafted the more opportunities you are afforded even when you are abysmal at one of the requirements of your position. So after sitting on a roster after 4 or 5 years, instead of a player that can actually perform the requirements of the position, these players unceremoniously shown the door. Instead you could have had a more well rounded player that is maybe not as athletic, but can give you a bigger contribution. I would take a player like Anthony Fasano over Julius Thomas everyday and twice on Sunday.

I am not implying this is what is going to happen to Mike. I hope he can become a complete TE and I expect it to happen. This is just a statement about the league in general.

Other than being white males with blonde hair what are these similarities your talking about.

Other than being white males with blonde hair what are these similarities your talking about.
I'll stated it again. Brown came into camp as TE that could catch the ball and could not block. Gesicki comes into camp that is a TE that can catch the ball and can not block. I do not know how much more specific I can be. I have said this in two other posts.:rolleyes:

Gesicki will become a very good blocker. Why? Because his shortcomings are all teachable issues.

First of all, he isn't a moron like Egnew. Those comparisons should stop.

Second, Gesicki's athleticism isn't just elite, it is unprecedented when also considering his length. 34.5 arms 10.25 hands

All of his numbers were elite across the board. Not even Jimmy Graham had numbers like his, and Vernon Davis is three inches shorter without the long arms and big hands.

You can teach technique over months and years, and build strength as well over months and years. You can't teach the God given attributes he has. Sky is the limit.

Double figure TD's is a very real possibility if this OL stays healthy. He will be a top red zone target.

I'll stated it again. Brown came into camp as TE that could catch the ball and could not block. Gesicki comes into camp that is a TE that can catch the ball and can not block. I do not know how much more specific I can be. I have said this in two other posts.:rolleyes:
Because Gesicki has a large body of work to base it on (at a premier college program, no less) and the incredible combine numbers to show his ceiling is sky-high. If you can find some pics of Les Brown looking anything remotely like this, I'll concede you might have a point.

Mike-Gesicki-972x840.jpg USATSI_10391517.jpg 636600220377891388-USP-NCAA-Football-Rose-Bowl-Game-Penn-State-vs-So-87695748.JPG Gesicki_Jae_C_Hong_AP_17233554218109.jpg 630813242.jpg.0.jpg gesicki-leap-a8caeadec5db98ef.jpg penn-state-vs-michigan-state-nov-4-2017-9898846667485252.jpg DQmcM7mTN64qShqh47oYyCCMLyhzhKHySc2JaBdtFp8KqSp.jpeg 0ap3000000919076_video_player_cp.jpg

Edit: Was Les Brown taller than Megatron, faster than A.B., stronger than Donald Penn, and jumping higher than OBJ? Methinks not.

Last edited:
Echo the sentiments that too much is made about his blocking. He's here to catch TDs being a QB friendly option with his length and jumping ability. If he's in there trying to block JJ Watts, Von Miller etc and the QB gets blindsided then that's on the coaching staff.

Also even Egnew was eventually coached up to block filling in at full back at times but if we're using Gesicki as a blocker sending Smythe out on routes then our coaching staff are morons.

Mike Gesecki is sort of in a class by himself as far as being an amazing athlete, a total combine freak and simply a brilliant receiver with leaping ability second to none, along with an uncanny knack to high point the football along with the great hands and insane catch radius. He uses the same box out tricks that TE like Anthony Gonsalez have been using for years. It will take him some time to develop in the NFL but I sure don't care if he not a big time blocker. He's here to make big catches in big games. The Dolphin's crushed it by snagging this guy. Gase knows exactly how to deploy TEs.

Everyone read your posts, and knows what you said, but are in disbelief you would make that statement. You are trying to compare a guy who never played football, to the most prolific pass catching TE in Penn State history, and was John Mackey award finalist in 2017. You are comparing a guy who since being cut by Miami has never got another look by any NFL team to a guy who would make every roster in the NFL.

This isn’t the 1980s! The position has changed. The inability to accept this shows ignorance.

I think he needs to block well enough to pick up a blitz sometimes but that's about it (and that would have to be some wonky blitz). We got Smythe for the rest. Gesicki is here for being a mutant cyborg ala Gronk, Kelce etc moving the chains, creating mismatches due to size and end zone targetting. Him at max leap catching the ball will be insane.

The heat? Oh yeah. The heat is brutal. Being out and running around in that is tough but it'll get easier the more he does it. Wishing we played a dome team for opener. Titans will be just as used to the heat and humidity as Dolphins almost in opener.

It's a lot to get used to. The heat is a big one, new playbook. bigger faster competition. Just give the kid time.

Everyone needs to not get their pants in a wad. I was not comparing Mike to Les. I was just making an comment on the inequity of the league in regard to players. But I understand it is not like the Old days when you had a 75 man roster and everyone on the team was eligible on Sunday. Coaches now don't have the luxury to wait on players to develop and have to make decisions to the best of their ability on who to keep on the roster. I was just making an observation that some players might develop but never get the opportunity. I am not saying that Brown and Gesicki are comparable athletes or their body of work is similar. Why does everyone on this board act like a shot was just taken at their mother when they have a differing opinion, view a player in a different light or makes an observation that is in no way a knock on a player?:wall

Last edited:
When we play the patriots and I see Gronkowski stay in and block I always think damn I wish they'd of let him run up field so our great defense can stop him. Hopefully Mike will be that good at blocking

Back
Top Bottom