Mike Wallace vows to be leader for Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Wallace vows to be leader for Dolphins

I agree, as a public figure he should never have put himself in a position like that where an apology is necessary. It is a problem a lot of athletes are dealing with and the invention of Twitter did not help things.

Do you consider Adrian Peterson a leader?
I don't. he's a phenomenal athlete and an inspirational one to come back from his injury and come that close to breaking the record, but he's another one who needs to lead through actions not words. he's said some much harsher stuff than Wallace, and the only reason it wasn't more pronounced was the performance he put on.

if it had just been Mike Wallace making a comment in april, that's one thing, but you add in the Ellerbe twitter fight and the wonder twins, and all the sudden the leaders of our team look like they don't understand that as leaders and role models they should be above reproach. It's like... being late to a team meeting twice, philbin is likely to toss you. Why are these guys all making similar mistakes about letting their actions and poor decisions make the news? In an offseason where the management is doing everything right, why are we still getting attention? because of our young leaders making poor decisions with their words, and choices in hats. (and before anyone says anything, all three were clearly chosen to represent "it's Our time" in the uniform unvealing, meaning... these are the perceived building blocks of our future.)

I don't recall an "Ellerbe Twitter Fight" being a national story, though I will give you the Wallace and Pouncey situation. Wallace and Pouncey made regrettable decisions, but I don't think this is a team wide epidemic that you are trying to paint. Players, including team leaders, make regrettable decisions every year. I don't think you need a perfect record to be a team leader, you just have to be able to lead your guys on the field. Now are you talking about a leader in terms of off the field image to sell jerseys and tickets? If so, than yeah Wallace's and Pouncey's actions this offseason didn't help. But even as you said, once the pads come on and they start making plays people won't really care about what they said in the offseason. People still buy Mike Vick jerseys and Falcon fans will still support Roddy White even though he tweeted that he hopes the Zimmerman jurors "Kill themselves".

I mentioned Adrian Peterson earlier, and that was because just once month after Wallace's "homophobic" comment, Peterson made a similar comment. This is not to say I am not disappointed when they make these poor judgement, but it doesn't mean they won't be successful team leaders and continue to be positive images for the franchise going forward.

Also, not all three(Ellerbe, Pouncey and Wallace) were at the uniform unveiling. Wallace wasn't there.

I also consider Tannehill, Wake and Hartline to be team leaders, and so far they fit your clean criteria.

Wallace vows to be a leader?

Oh crap, that means hes getting a pro-Hernandez hat made.

...to soon?

I still don't understand why anyone cares about what a professional athelete says or thinks.

Dude gets paid millions of dollars to run fast and catch a ball. People make it seem as if these people are important political figures that represent countries.

Dude couldn't understand why some people prefer the same sex. I'm sure millions of people feel same way, so who cares. Just like the Pouncey twins or Zimmerman tweeting who cares!

Freedom of speech, makes this country great. Mind your own and enjoy some damn football. I'm sure no one cares what any of these guys think as long as they score TD's and make plays.

I still don't understand why anyone cares about what a professional athelete says or thinks.

Dude gets paid millions of dollars to run fast and catch a ball. People make it seem as if these people are important political figures that represent countries.

Dude couldn't understand why some people prefer the same sex. I'm sure millions of people feel same way, so who cares. Just like the Pouncey twins or Zimmerman tweeting who cares!

Freedom of speech, makes this country great. Mind your own and enjoy some damn football. I'm sure no one cares what any of these guys think as long as they score TD's and make plays.

Freedom of speech: where athletes get to say whatever they want and the rest of us should stay totally silent about whatever they say.

'Merica.

I don't follow player's twitter for a reason, I want to keep watching sports. But I like coming on finheaven so I come across want they stupidly tweet very often anyway.

He hasn't even played a down and we already have fans bashing him and making sarcastic comments. :bobdole:
When you start tossing words like "Leadership" around, that comes with the territory.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

I don't follow player's twitter for a reason, I want to keep watching sports. But I like coming on finheaven so I come across want they stupidly tweet very often anyway.

There was a reason I'm not on it, and not on it now.

It's vapid, alienating, and ****ing retarded.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

Freedom of speech: where athletes get to say whatever they want and the rest of us should stay totally silent about whatever they say.

'Merica.

'Merica where people think "Free speach" means, "Without repercussion"

What I think people overlook, is that while people make mistakes, Leaders should think about how their actions will be perceived. Wallace certainly can learn a grow as a leader, and I daresay 99.99 percent of us will forgive and forget on the first dynamic play he makes this season, it's a situation that he never should've had to apologize for.

I ride to work with a supervisor. I brought up the topic of comprimising his leadership. He didn't give a ****,
and so, I went with it, plus, I needed a ride. "Appearence of Impropriety" is a mother****er, and it's haunted me.
Now, everything I do, is tied to him. And him to me. Everyone assumes since we're "Road dogs" etc, etc....

I do agree...First lonmg TD and everything's over...Until the chips are down.

Freedom of speech only gives you the freedom to say it. It in no way relieves you of the consiquences of that speech. To get picky freedom of speech has nothing to do with this. The only way censorship can happen is if the government enforces it. Like when the Dixie chicks made comments about george bush and folks quit buying their music. That was not censorship in anyway because the state didn't stop them from speaking. They were censored by the free market. The first amendment only gaurantees the government can't bring charges against you for speech it does not protect you from societys views of your speech;.

Freedom of speech only gives you the freedom to say it. It in no way relieves you of the consiquences of that speech. To get picky freedom of speech has nothing to do with this. The only way censorship can happen is if the government enforces it. Like when the Dixie chicks made comments about george bush and folks quit buying their music. That was not censorship in anyway because the state didn't stop them from speaking. They were censored by the free market. The first amendment only gaurantees the government can't bring charges against you for speech it does not protect you from societys views of your speech;.
To get Picky, there is no such thing as "Free Speach".

Show me where it is in the Constitution. It's not. It covers .gov censorship. That's it.

I have no problem at all with what Wallace said, and many a gay spokesmen said the same, calling it a non-issue. Ellerbe, to the media, was even less of an issue.

However, the twitter nonsense, and Pouncey acting like a village idiot were reasons to be disappointed in their actions. They are human but, appear to be somewhat lacking in common sense. JMO

To get Picky, there is no such thing as "Free Speach".

Show me where it is in the Constitution. It's not. It covers .gov censorship. That's it.

I believe this is where Philbin has to enter in for some team censorship or, at least explain that it is a problem where players have to think about what they do, and how it affects the team and it's image.

If Pouncey did the same in corporate America, he would be looking for a new job.

Back
Top Bottom