Minimum # of new blue chips + average starters to convert this roster into a powerhouse? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Minimum # of new blue chips + average starters to convert this roster into a powerhouse?

isaacjunk

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Let's play a game...you have this current roster and you want to build a powerhouse team with this coaching staff/system---a multiple year window of strong playoff pushes. What is the minimum number / position type of blue-chips you need to convert this roster into that contender? You can assume that 4 other positions are replaced with league-average starters. For simplicity forget contracts/aging/etc, and pretend it can all happen right now.

I'm a casual fan so I know some of you will have way a better picture of what system fits are truly needed, but....

My blue chips/all pros (4):
- QB (Tua)
- WR1 (having a true stud would allow preston williams/albert wilson to look a lot better as secondary options)
- OLB with coverage skills and pass rush
- FS - rover (what they had in mind for Minkah, the mind of the secondary/ballhawk)

League average starter replacements (4):
- all-around TE1 (Anthony Fasano type to move chains)
- RT (gotta give Tua a reasonable platform, but like the Patriots philosophy of not overspending on OL)
- LT (ditto)
- CB2

Assumptions:
- Evan Boehm and Deiter work out to be close to league average LG/RG
- We can live with platooning Raekwon and Baker based on packaging/situation
- Kenyan drake as clear RB1 -- involving him much more in the passing game too
- Bobby Mccain if left at slot corner can actually play decently, other wise would be very tempting to replace LT with CB3

Notes:
- Tough call choosing between FS/rover and CB2 to be elite...
- May be worth looking at draft pick success rate by position to leverage FA more intelligently. *should* be more easy to fill some of these holes via FA with such a huge bank account.
- To me, this should be do able with the resources we have in the next two years....given just a FO with roughly average drafting / FA scouting ability. With the money we have, we could even wait a year to see how our first year's multiple 1st round - 2nd round draft picks work out; those that don't we can spend $$$ on.

BlueChip/All Pro's
QB-It's a passing league
TE--I feel an elite TE provides more of a mismatch--too big for DB's and too fast for LB's also will help in pass block and run block
Edge Rusher-It's a passing league so disrupting the pass is vital
MLB-someone to finally cover TE's and the middle of the field--Raekwon has 0 INTs and 0 Sacks in his career thats 0 impact game changing plays and can't cover

League average starter
C-solid starter on the OL goes a long way
LT-see above
Edge Rusher-Should benefit from having an elite player on the other side
RT- 3 solid starters on the OL with the right coach= top 10 OL

Let's play a game...you have this current roster and you want to build a powerhouse team with this coaching staff/system---a multiple year window of strong playoff pushes. What is the minimum number / position type of blue-chips you need to convert this roster into that contender? You can assume that 4 other positions are replaced with league-average starters. For simplicity forget contracts/aging/etc, and pretend it can all happen right now.

I'm a casual fan so I know some of you will have way a better picture of what system fits are truly needed, but....

- QB (Tua)
- WR1 (having a true stud would allow preston williams/albert wilson to look a lot better as secondary options)
- FS - rover (what they had in mind for Minkah, the mind of the secondary/ballhawk)

- RT (gotta give Tua a reasonable platform, but like the Patriots philosophy of not overspending on OL)
- LT (ditto)
- CB2

Assumptions:
- Bobby Mccain if left at slot corner can actually play decently, other wise would be very tempting to replace LT with CB3

Notes:
- May be worth looking at draft pick success rate by position to leverage FA more intelligently. *should* be more easy to fill some of these holes via FA with such a huge bank account.
- To me, this should be do able with the resources we have in the next two years....given just a FO with roughly average drafting / FA scouting ability. With the money we have, we could even wait a year to see how our first year's multiple 1st round - 2nd round draft picks work out; those that don't we can spend $$$ on.

First, let's get a common understanding of terminology. We'll start with bluechip - pretty vague. I'll use All Pro players. Might not be your ideal, but everybody understands All Pro.
You use three terms. Powerhouse, strong playoff pushes, and contender. Since step one is contender, I'll start there.
Most NFL teams, including contenders, have 2-4 All Pro players any given year. I'm going to call X an All Pro, although his play this year isn't up to his standard. That means Miami should shot for 2-3 more All Pro level players.
Since there are 3-4 elite QBs and almost have the league is a playoff contender, we can say an elite QB gets a team deeper into the playoffs, but isn't required to be a contender.
I'll go with one of my standard beliefs - what most playoff contenders DON'T have is below average starters. Forget backups. EVERY team has below average backups at a few positions.
All that to say, Miami needs 1-3 All Pro level players and no below average players. Get that and they're contenders.

I think the last few seasons have proven the value of the player that's a net positive both in the running and passing game. Whether it be Gronk with his blocking ability or the new breed of RB in Gurley/Kamara/Barkley. And even our man Wilson, albeit to a far lesser extent.

Saying blue chip players is a bit too ambiguous. Suh was a blue chip player who was pretty much useless during his time in Miami. Donald is an incredible player and worthy of all the adulation thrown his way but in the game today does he provide more value to a defense than McCourty?

It all starts with the quarterback, and once you've found him I do think there's value in taking the path of the Rams, Chiefs, and Browns and trying to surround him with as much talent as possible. But if it is to be sustained I think the target areas have to be the secondary and maintaining a desperate search for one of those transcendent talents on the offensive end. You can fill in the rest of the pieces but if any of those three areas are screwed up its tough to see the team contending.

Blue chips(4):

QB....This team does not make huge turnaround without star QB. If Rosen does not prove to be the man, Tua does not exactly have to be the man, but it sure would help.

Pass-Rusher...I personally believe Taco might be a good 2nd pass-rushing option, if you get a star edge rusher that forces extra attention from teams.

TE...Though I would love a dependable #1 Receiver, I think if the O-Line is fixed, Williams, Parker, Grant, Wilson (?), Ford, can handle the position, but if Miami finds a star all-around TE, the offense will be much improved.

Tackle...Whomever the Starting QB will be will need to have a dependable Tackle to protect the Blindside of the teams most important position (whether it be on the Left or Right, depending who the QB is).

League average (4):

Corner...Put a solid, dependable corner on the other side of X, and all of a suddden passing on Miami becomes a bit more difficult.

DT...Get a DT that does a decent job of stuffing or slowing down the run, and you now have a far more consistent defense.

Guard...Though I believe the guards we have now are going to grow into being serviceable to actually good, I would not say no to another, to make sure that the line is fixed once and for all.

FS...We have not had a true FS back there for a while, it would be good to finally have one.

Assumptions:

RB...Once the line is fixed, it will be like night and day with the running game.

LB...The LB are very young, but as the season goes along in 2019, they might end up amazingly being our best squad.

SS...They might keep Jones around a bit longer, but I still think they will be going younger and more dependable here.

O-line...Getting a premium tackle, and a solid guard with what we have right now might finally give us at the very least, a solid O-line. Fix the line, and all of a sudden Miami can pass, and can run.

Last edited:
We haven't seen a truly dominant interior OL player in so long, we've forgotten just how much they can change an offense.

O lineman starting with a stud Center, stud middle linebacker stud receiver and of course quarterback

Obviously, the unknowns are player growth during a year where it was emphasized and the bump from a second year in the system. Now that this stipulation is stated, the significant talent gaps are OT, C/G, QB, RB, TE, OLB, 2nd CB, Nicole CB, and FS. Yes, there are a lot of holes.

- QB (Tua)

- LT (ditto)
- CB2

Assumptions:

Notes:
I’ve heard that a true contender needs roughly 8 blue chip players. Right now, we only have one (Howard), maybe Raekwon (in his current role), & maybe Wilkins (in the future).

Back
Top Bottom