Minkah Fitzpatrick Is The Hybrid Counter Your Nfl Team (probably) Needs...and The Dolphins Got! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Minkah Fitzpatrick Is The Hybrid Counter Your Nfl Team (probably) Needs...and The Dolphins Got!

I don't know if they can do that with Kiko. He seems like a shoe in for the Nickel in 2018. I don't know if Baker would be ready and I think Raekwon is not good in coverage. Even if Baker is ready we are looking at Kiko/Baker, Kiko/McDonald or Kiko/Anthony I'm betting.

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.gif

Everything we've heard is that Raekwon's recovery is good and is ahead of schedule. There is an excellent chance that he's fully healthy and will be able to get his NFL career rolling. Let's see how he goes at Training Camp (and maybe they play it conservative and don't rush him to do too much), but I think the expectation remains that he starts as the MIKE Linebacker. If Jerome Baker quickly picks up his role in the NFL, I expect that he plays WILL right next to Raekwon like their days at Ohio State together. I expect that Kiko gets the initial opportunity at SAM.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for.

The hype train has left the station a bit here. Hope for a Malcolm Jenkins like pro return.

As for lb Allen at sam in base Raekwon at mike and Kiko at weak.

Anthony is too easy to bait.

I loved the Mikah pick. For those saying he can't turn the whole defense around....duh........not one player can do that but you need to start somewhere. I mean, would it be better not to have him just because he can't do it alone? The way to build a great defense is by adding great players to it. Real play makers at positions of impact like DE and FS. We'll need all 11 guys to contribute but FS is one less position to worry about.

One common trait found in almost all elite NFL players is " great work ethic". Combine that with top notch physical traits and you have yourself a great football player.

(3) traits that should be a prerequisite for all Miami draft picks should be work ethic, physical tools AND college production. This is Minkah.

Almost all of our draft picks meet this requirement.

Never again bet on boom or bust or players with "potential" and little college production or red flags about character. Not in the first 3 rounds anyway.

The hype train has left the station a bit here. Hope for a Malcolm Jenkins like pro return.

As for lb Allen at sam in base Raekwon at mike and Kiko at weak.

Anthony is too easy to bait.

If this is so, let's hope for the pre-2017 Kiko. I think jared Cook just caught another pass against him. He was *that* bad.

I like the Minkah pick but are we expecting him to stroll out onto the field and shut down Rob Gronkowski 2 times as a rookie? If so I think we are setting up the board for a meltdown. He'll be a valuable asset over time but let's not set the bar to it's highest point (Gronk) right out of the box.

Gronk isn't the same Gronk he was two/three seasons ago. He's been injured a lot and it's questionable how much his heart is going to be in it with all the retirement talk. Fitz is faster than Gronk and can easily hang with him on his routes. I think he will be an asset against any TE right out of the gate.

If this is so, let's hope for the pre-2017 Kiko. I think jared Cook just caught another pass against him. He was *that* bad.

That wasn’t vs base but root problem too much air space.

Kiko compete with Anthony, Raekwon, Baker, and possibly TJ McDonald in nickel.

Baker subpackage and possible dime lb. Possible dime lb for Kiko and tj McDonald also.

Everything we've heard is that Raekwon's recovery is good and is ahead of schedule. There is an excellent chance that he's fully healthy and will be able to get his NFL career rolling. Let's see how he goes at Training Camp (and maybe they play it conservative and don't rush him to do too much), but I think the expectation remains that he starts as the MIKE Linebacker. If Jerome Baker quickly picks up his role in the NFL, I expect that he plays WILL right next to Raekwon like their days at Ohio State together. I expect that Kiko gets the initial opportunity at SAM.

Kiko Alonso? At SAM? On what planet can he handle the point of attack and gap fill assignments of a SAM linebacker in this defensive scheme? Nope.

Jerome Baker can’t handle the poa and gap fill ask either at this stage. Which is why he’s destined for subpackage and dime lb run. And possibly some package safety play.

He's going to get beat. It's going to happen. Even the best of the best veteran safeties get beat from time to time. Want to see a fun one? Go to the much-maligned Kenny Stills TD drop from the beginning of 2016. Earl Thomas got toasted on that play so badly it wasn't even funny...and he's one of the best ever.

Yup and earlier in the game old man Arian Foster faked out and speed bumped Earl thomas on a screen. It happens.

Jerome Baker can’t handle the poa and gap fill ask either at this stage. Which is why he’s destined for subpackage and dime lb run. And possibly some package safety play.

Exactly.

Kiko has no competition at Will in 2018. Which means we're going to have target practice in nickel again. And Baker is sub package at best for 2018.

We have Chase Allen and Stephone Anthony to work with at SAM. Yikes.

I like the Minkah pick but are we expecting him to stroll out onto the field and shut down Rob Gronkowski 2 times as a rookie? If so I think we are setting up the board for a meltdown. He'll be a valuable asset over time but let's not set the bar to it's highest point (Gronk) right out of the box.

Run him underneath Gronk when possible like the Eagles did with Malcolm Jenkins in the Super Bowl.

Physically it’s no contest so over/under him.

I think you are to late.

What I love most about us drafting Minkah is not that he improves our play against TEs specifically, but that if he's everything advertised as a FS his play will have a ripple effect on the rest of the secondary. Reshad can be more aggressive. The CBs will be able to play more press. With better/tighter coverage over a larger area of the field, the D-line should have that all-important extra fraction of a second to reach the QB. Seems to me the big question/concern will be how we fare against the run on 1st-and-10 and 2nd-and-7ish. If we can force more 3rd-and-6ish downs the D will get off the field a lot more frequently than last year. The O will get more opportunities, and with better field position. It's a lot to hang on a rookie, and I expect a learning curve. I imagine we'll start seeing a big difference after the first quarter of the season.

Back
Top Bottom