Minkah Fitzpatrick, Jerome Baker Give Miami D Long-term Promise. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Minkah Fitzpatrick, Jerome Baker Give Miami D Long-term Promise.

If you look at the production of a Damien Williams- Frank Gore - Ballage - Connors, we can see there is a great parody among RBs.
There are few exceptions of course- Gurley- Zeke- Saquon- Laveon.
I would not place Drake in this category so for me he is expendable.
Tunsil and Howard are not so easily replaceable. Must be extended.

Yep expendable for me too.

If he was kamara yeah I’m probably hanging on to that as a core player

It depends on how other teams feel about drakes value as to if he’d move the needle or not from 13. I feel like he has somewhere in the top 75 range value which imo should get us somewhere in trade.

Top 10 I don’t know

I guess it’s going to come down to “what would he bring in return” vs “what’s he going to be worth is the new scheme”. If an offer comes in for him that you feel is worth it, you take it. If not, you utilize him as best you can. It’s not like he’s costing the team a lot of money.

Put it to you this way if drake gets me from 13 to say 8 or even 10 for my all in qb if I’m Grier it’s a no brainer.

Done and done.

I get wanting to get a QB. But trading a known playmaker with elite speed (that was underutilized last season BTW) just to move up a few spots is just silly talk to me. I certainly wouldn't do it.

Baker can't play in a 34, he's too small and not nearly powerful enough at the point of attack to play the run well. He's purely a chase and cover LB when he learns the position. Until then, he's a very hit and miss chase and cover LB.

Xavien Howard is a press man CB, and any other use of him is a misuse. But, that press man system can work with any type of front really. Fitzpatrick has the versatility you mentioned. TJ McDonald could be moved to LB, and given the Chargers' success with 7 DB's lately, that idea should be gaining momentum, IMHO. Putting Fitzpatrick in the FS position to begin to master it, will make the most of his ability. It also frees up Reshad Jones to play his clearly best position, SS. Xavien Howard anchors one CB position, and if you find a CB2, you can slide McCain back into the slot where he belongs. IMHO, that's clearly the best lineup of our best players in our best unit. I would keep all of those guys in those positions.
Why can’t he play a 3-4??? Mark Barron did right he was a safety, zack Thomas did to also and he was real light in the pants, he admitted to playing at 220 when we was in the 3-4. I think with space eaters up front baker would excel, being able to fly around

Was rough on him last year, but the talent is there. Want to see what a better coaching staff can do with Raekwon.
I thought Raekwon played well the last few games, but agree he has a ways to go yet. Hopefully new staff is able to coach him up.

Put it to you this way if drake gets me from 13 to say 8 or even 10 for my all in qb if I’m Grier it’s a no brainer.
Done and done.

Only guy I'd give up for is Murray JMO.
And I'm afraid 8 or 10 isn't going to cut it...
Looking to me more like Tampa at 5, for NY, Jac. Den. possibly even Oak are or can be in the picture.
Not to mention the unpredictable unknowns that usually pop up on draft day.

Only offer 2019 draft picks (not 2020) instead of some of our top players and as far as those picks ? I do whatever isn't just ridiculous... Think the worst would be switching 1's and we give up our 2nd and possibly negotiate the 4th over a third that they probably ask for....

Finally get a legitimate shot at our future QB. And if a total flop probably be able to jump in next year for another real shot again (but hopefully Kyler will be our guy)

Not really informed enough of what the moving up costs are but thats 1-2-3 for Murry be my limit or possibly throwing in a good not top player...JMO

Why can’t he play a 3-4??? Mark Barron did right he was a safety, zack Thomas did to also and he was real light in the pants, he admitted to playing at 220 when we was in the 3-4. I think with space eaters up front baker would excel, being able to fly around
Zach Thomas played LB during a time when both DT's were space eaters, keeping the LB's clean to chase and fill. Today, the Dolphins and most defenses are using DT's who are penetrators, not space eaters, so the goal of today's DT is to BEAT the block, not occupy it so the LB is free. That wouldn't work today.

Baker can't work in a 34 because he's not long enough or powerful enough to stack and shed, meaning all the offense needs to do in the run game is put a guard or center on him and he's washed out of the play, leaving the hole open to gash into the secondary for chunk yardage. We saw that plenty in Baker's rookie season, but too many fans were unaware that it was Baker's fault because he wasn't even in the TV picture. Hell, much of the time people who didn't know any better blamed it on Kiko when he tried to catch the guy that Baker ran right through the hole where Baker was supposed to be. And this is in a 43 … it requires more stack and shed ability in a 34 because you're dealing with OL more often.

Face it, there is one thing everyone loves about Jerome Baker … SPEED. He definitely has elite speed. But he is sized like a safety, runs like a safety, and cannot shed blocks. Either he doesn't grind enough, study enough, or he's not smart enough to learn his assignment … whichever it is, it needs to change for him to become a good LB. He is nowhere close to being assignment-sound, and that's what you need your LB's to be.

Baker's speed is impressive. But that's about all at this point. Here's hoping he becomes a solid LB.

Zach Thomas played LB during a time when both DT's were space eaters, keeping the LB's clean to chase and fill. Today, the Dolphins and most defenses are using DT's who are penetrators, not space eaters, so the goal of today's DT is to BEAT the block, not occupy it so the LB is free. That wouldn't work today.

Baker can't work in a 34 because he's not long enough or powerful enough to stack and shed, meaning all the offense needs to do in the run game is put a guard or center on him and he's washed out of the play, leaving the hole open to gash into the secondary for chunk yardage. We saw that plenty in Baker's rookie season, but too many fans were unaware that it was Baker's fault because he wasn't even in the TV picture. Hell, much of the time people who didn't know any better blamed it on Kiko when he tried to catch the guy that Baker ran right through the hole where Baker was supposed to be. And this is in a 43 … it requires more stack and shed ability in a 34 because you're dealing with OL more often.

Face it, there is one thing everyone loves about Jerome Baker … SPEED. He definitely has elite speed. But he is sized like a safety, runs like a safety, and cannot shed blocks. Either he doesn't grind enough, study enough, or he's not smart enough to learn his assignment … whichever it is, it needs to change for him to become a good LB. He is nowhere close to being assignment-sound, and that's what you need your LB's to be.

Baker's speed is impressive. But that's about all at this point. Here's hoping he becomes a solid LB.
The kid was a rookie, mid round pick. I think he deserves a little slack.

Yes, it would be great if he could add 15 lbs without sacrificing speed, but he played as well as you could reasonably expect.

By the end of the season, he had made a lot of progress. I'm sure having a decimated line in front of him contributed to many of those "wash outs".

Only guy I'd give up for is Murray JMO.
And I'm afraid 8 or 10 isn't going to cut it...
Looking to me more like Tampa at 5, for NY, Jac. Den. possibly even Oak are or can be in the picture.
Not to mention the unpredictable unknowns that usually pop up on draft day.

Only offer 2019 draft picks (not 2020) instead of some of our top players and as far as those picks ? I do whatever isn't just ridiculous... Think the worst would be switching 1's and we give up our 2nd and possibly negotiate the 4th over a third that they probably ask for....

Finally get a legitimate shot at our future QB. And if a total flop probably be able to jump in next year for another real shot again (but hopefully Kyler will be our guy)

Not really informed enough of what the moving up costs are but thats 1-2-3 for Murry be my limit or possibly throwing in a good not top player...JMO
I believe Tampa is out on the Qb search, Arians wants to work with Winston.

Well just agree to disagree he held up pretty good in the run game and wasn’t a liability like most thought he would even myself, he graded out well with a 79 run grade.. but I hear ya, Statistically he was ranked the 17th best mine back in the league. Crazy how Dolphins fan can even give players credit. I expect him to explode next year

Back
Top Bottom