Minkah Fitzpatrick, Jerome Baker Give Miami D Long-term Promise. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Minkah Fitzpatrick, Jerome Baker Give Miami D Long-term Promise.

5A99FA95-7B45-428C-9A60-5355BC63D09D.png
The kid was a rookie, mid round pick. I think he deserves a little slack.

Yes, it would be great if he could add 15 lbs without sacrificing speed, but he played as well as you could reasonably expect.

By the end of the season, he had made a lot of progress. I'm sure having a decimated line in front of him contributed to many of those "wash outs".
Exactly, he graded out top 15 against the runs as a lb

Well just agree to disagree he held up pretty good in the run game and wasn’t a liability like most thought he would even myself, he graded out well with a 79 run grade.. but I hear ya, Statistically he was ranked the 17th best mine back in the league. Crazy how Dolphins fan can even give players credit. I expect him to explode next year
Not quite sure what you mean. you said "17th best mine back." No worries, I make typos all the time myself, so I'll respond to the most likely ones. Raekwon McMillan played Mike and Jerome Baker played Will. If you meant 17th best linebacker, well we definitely disagree, whomever made those grades is clueless, IMHO. If you meant 17th best rookie linebacker, I could see that. He flashed … but he also let many runs blow him completely out of his hole or he filled the wrong hole or he just plain blew his assignment. If you have some PFF ranking, well those sometimes do reflect what happens, but not all the time. Fair enough, agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Not quite sure what you mean. you said "17th best mine back." No worries, I make typos all the time myself, so I'll respond to the most likely ones. Raekwon McMillan played Mike and Jerome Baker played Will. If you meant 17th best linebacker, well we definitely disagree, whomever made those grades is clueless, IMHO. If you meant 17th best rookie linebacker, I could see that. He flashed … but he also let many runs blow him completely out of his hole or he filled the wrong hole or he just plain blew his assignment. If you have some PFF ranking, well those sometimes do reflect what happens, but not all the time. Fair enough, agree to disagree.
I meant to say 13 ranked against the run. Ranked number 3 as a rookie behind lieghton vander from the cowboys and the kid from the colts lennord.

Attachments

• 73FE0C20-A1E2-4E2A-AD48-FCB736133E9B.png
    73FE0C20-A1E2-4E2A-AD48-FCB736133E9B.png
    166 KB · Views: 2
I meant to say 13 ranked against the run. Ranked number 3 as a rookie behind lieghton vander from the cowboys and the kid from the colts lennord.
Ah, so PFF ranking #13 vs. the run. Thanks for clarifying that. PFF does some good stuff, but they're not always right. The only conclusion I can draw from that is that either they mis-diagnosed a bunch of his assignments and blamed them on someone else. Defensive schemes can sometimes be hard to read because nobody ever tells you exactly what they meant to do. But, lots of our biggest run problems this year happened running at Baker. I guess if PFF thought he was supposed to get washed out, get walled off, fill a hole already filled by a DE or DT, they might not have blamed him … but IMHO, they should have.

Here is hoping that Jerome Baker becomes as good as he can, and as good as PFF thinks he already is. Cheers.

Baker should have had 7-10 sacks if he were used properly and that pick six won’t be the last one. He’ll be just fine.

Ah, so PFF ranking #13 vs. the run. Thanks for clarifying that. PFF does some good stuff, but they're not always right. The only conclusion I can draw from that is that either they mis-diagnosed a bunch of his assignments and blamed them on someone else. Defensive schemes can sometimes be hard to read because nobody ever tells you exactly what they meant to do. But, lots of our biggest run problems this year happened running at Baker. I guess if PFF thought he was supposed to get washed out, get walled off, fill a hole already filled by a DE or DT, they might not have blamed him … but IMHO, they should have.

Here is hoping that Jerome Baker becomes as good as he can, and as good as PFF thinks he already is. Cheers.
Yeah this turned out to be real insightful, I’m a fan of pff so is a lot of gms and othe scouts, to me baker has passed the eye with flying colors he’s already better than kiko and the coaching staff loves him which is indicative of his play, I can’t eist to see him in his Sophomore year with another training camp and preseason under his belt I see his step mom being over 100 tackles five sacks with three inception’s à la Ievante David, telvin Smith of the jags, undersized but great in the passing and good in the run.
this kid was a top recruit coming out of high school, he know how to use his speed to his Advantage and keep Block’s Apple Pay sometimes I’m not saying he doesn’t get washed up sometimes but more often than not he’s holding his own we’ve all seen it I watch every single dolphins game every year. I hope you don’t think those stats i just said it’s far-fetched because he had three sacks this year and he also had 2picks this year.
is it unlikely that he can get two more sacks and one more interception with his elite speed. speed alone the defense we are about to play he’s going to floursih. Look at dion ones for the falcons, anytime has player has speed like that and has a good football IQ,

Last edited:
Baker should have had 7-10 sacks if he were used properly and that pick six won’t be the last one. He’ll be just fine.
Awwwww, so true man.. the need to line up in more odd settings to give baker a free run a couple times a game, he looks to be a smaller lance briggs, for a guy who was just six feet about 230 he go a lot sacks and picks, he wasn’t known for pass rushing but with scheming the bears made him a all pro every year. Bakers ceiling is so high

Jerome Baker was a top rookie LB.

PFF is also used by all 32 teams, I take their opinion quite high these days. They’ve improved a lot since their early days. Regrade after watching the ALL 22. Their good.

Yeah this turned out to be real insightful, I’m a fan of pff so is a lot of gms and othe scouts, to me baker has passed the eye with flying colors he’s already better than kiko and the coaching staff loves him which is indicative of his play, I can’t eist to see him in his Sophomore year with another training camp and preseason under his belt I see his step mom being over 100 tackles five sacks with three inception’s à la Ievante David, telvin Smith of the jags, undersized but great in the passing and good in the run.
this kid was a top recruit coming out of high school, he know how to use his speed to his Advantage and keep Block’s Apple Pay sometimes I’m not saying he doesn’t get washed up sometimes but more often than not he’s holding his own we’ve all seen it I watch every single dolphins game every year. I hope you don’t think those stats i just said it’s far-fetched because he had three sacks this year and he also had 2picks this year.
is it unlikely that he can get two more sacks and one more interception with his elite speed. speed alone the defense we are about to play he’s going to floursih. Look at dion ones for the falcons, anytime has player has speed like that and has a good football IQ,
If Jerome Baker has 5 sacks and 3 interceptions that would be great. Remind me again, how many INT's and force fumbles did he have last year? How many did Kiko have?

EDIT:
No worries, I looked it up. Here is the stat comparison if you're interested in stats. Lots of good places to get stats, but one of my favorites is pro-football-reference.com

Jerome Baker
Interceptions: 0
Forced Fumbles: 1
Recovered Fumbles: 0
Sacks: 2
TFL: 4
Hits: 4
Tackles: 79

Kiko Alonso
Interceptions: 3
Forced Fumbles: 3
Recovered Fumbles: 1
Sacks: 0
TFL: 3
Hits: 3
Tackles: 125

Baker is one of the fastest LB's in the NFL, so he was asked to blitz more than Kiko. But that produced 2 sacks, 1 extra tackle for loss and 1 extra hit. I'm also hopeful that Jerome Baker improves, but at this point, your stats comparison isn't going to convince me as Kiko Alonso caused 6 takeaways and Jerome Baker only caused 1. Kiko also recovered a fumble as well. Takeaways are a big deal, and that has always been my favorite part of Kiko's game. Hey, like who you like. We both want both players to become great. I'll be happier if you're right and Jerome Baker starts playing up to your lofty projection of him. Here's hoping you're right.

Last edited:
If Jerome Baker has 5 sacks and 3 interceptions that would be great. Remind me again, how many INT's and force fumbles did he have last year? How many did Kiko have?

EDIT:
No worries, I looked it up. Here is the stat comparison if you're interested in stats. Lots of good places to get stats, but one of my favorites is pro-football-reference.com

Jerome Baker

Kiko Alonso

Baker is one of the fastest LB's in the NFL, so he was asked to blitz more than Kiko. But that produced 2 sacks, 1 extra tackle for loss and 1 extra hit. I'm also hopeful that Jerome Baker improves, but at this point, your stats comparison isn't going to convince me as Kiko Alonso caused 6 takeaways and Jerome Baker only caused 1. Kiko also recovered a fumble as well. Takeaways are a big deal, and that has always been my favorite part of Kiko's game. Hey, like who you like. We both want both players to become great. I'll be happier if you're right and Jerome Baker starts playing up to your lofty projection of him. Here's hoping you're right.

Baker had 3 sacks and a pick 6. So maybe you need a new reference?

Baker had 3 sacks and a pick 6. So maybe you need a new reference?
I tried to adjust his stats but the edit time has expired. Stats don't tell the full story for LB's, but turnovers and pressures are easy to compare metrics, so they're worthwhile. Generating 6 takeaways is epic. I hope one day that Baker can do that.

EDIT:

Jerome Baker

Kiko Alonso

I usually agree with most of your ideas and observations. But I dont understand this one...

Baker has alot of work in front of him no doubt but I dont know how you come to the conclusion that it wasnt anything short of a succesful rookie season for a 3rd round pick LB, and then turn around and post with conviction that Gesicki is fine and will be a good player....? It seems to me that you didnt like the pick to begin with and just wont change your stance on the player, and kind of the opposite for Gesicki...

Kenyan drakes the one I’d trade for draft capitol

If I can use drake as a piece to get my qb yep

Thats my choice also. Kenyan is a good back but he isnt in the ricky williams or Levion Bell who i would love to get. We need star power and he is that.

I tried to adjust his stats but the edit time has expired. Stats don't tell the full story for LB's, but turnovers and pressures are easy to compare metrics, so they're worthwhile. Generating 6 takeaways is epic. I hope one day that Baker can do that.

I think it's important to point out that Kiko played 1004 snaps compared to Bakers 678, Kiko should have more impressive stats as a veteran LB and as a player getting more opportunities.

Kiko Alonso is a terrible LB.

Miami will be better team once he’s no longer running around lost in coverage every week.

Back
Top Bottom