Minkah Fitzpatrick On Playing Slot And On Covering Jakeem Grant | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Minkah Fitzpatrick On Playing Slot And On Covering Jakeem Grant

From what I saw of Minkah and Derwin last year, they both just impress me with how they approach the game and how smart they are on the field.

Two things gave Derwin the ultimate edge:

1. He never really needed to be pigeonholed like Minkah in 2018. We had injury issues at CB and Minkah essentially ran as the boundary opposite of X in the second half of the season. He is more than capable of doing that, and that role sets him up for a better financial future potentially, but he is not a guy you want where his back is facing the QB while he covers on the outside.

2. Derwin looks like Sean Taylor out there from an overall athletic perspective (Nobody is Sean Taylor but he is the first guy that really has come close) A big, strong and fast safety that can play every position in the secondary and a sure enough tackler to make your LBs look substandard.

I absolutely would give Minkah the edge in just being a Sleuth for the defense, but I tend to agree that We played it safe and got a sure pro bowl talent while Derwin has the hall of fame makeup you dream about in the top 15.

Derwin James is going to be the best defensive back in the NFL by the end of this year.

Minkah is a stud, but James is on a HoF type tier.
That comment puts me in mind of a movie quote.

Ned Pepper to Rooster Cogburn:

"I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man"

I think he understands what everyone else around hims job is better than anyone else on the team. And it shows on the field with his play.
Kid is gonna be a coach one day. He’s a football sponge.

Nope just a guy that loves watching excellence.

He's going to be the best DB in the NFL because he does things many can't and does them all at a high level. Everyone talks about Minkah being a swiss army knife, and he sure is, but Derwin adds another notch to it. Going to be a freak for a long time.
I respect the confidence in your evaluation

I remember watching this kid play in HS.
Isn’t it fun when an evaluation of a player is so clear to you yet everyone else isn’t as clear??

I like when that happens when a player is much less heralded.

I think what Fitzpatrick said about Grant is the same thing that every DB in the league thinks when they see him lined up against them. Its like you know they're thinking "oh hell, I'm one fraction of a second from being posterized."

Grant brings unbelievable quickness with the most amazing start-stop ability I've seen since Barry Sanders. I'm hoping to see Tyreek Hill type performances from him once he hits his stride.

From Fitzpatrick, I hope he is given a position to make his own, because the sooner he gets that, the sooner he becomes the leader in our secondary. IMHO, the team wanted to move on from Reshad Jones to allow Fitzpatrick to take the mantle of leading that secondary with McCain riding shotgun. That unit, featuring another alpha-male in dominant CB Xavien Howard, is probably a piece or two away from being one of the most elite secondaries in the league. Personally, I'd prefer to see Fitzpatrick at FS … but DB's is Coach Flo's specialty, so I'll trust his judgement.

Still, the sooner Fitzpatrick is leading our secondary unit, the sooner I'll feel comfortable about our defense. With Christian Wilkinson up front and Minkah Fitzpatrick in back, we could eventually become a very good defense. I can't wait to see it happen.

I agree with Digital, while its great to be versatile I think it will be better to have him in one spot he can lock in at and get to the proper weight for that position. As it is I am reading that he isnt on the field now when the nickle corner isnt being used. Seems like a repeating theme with Miami they get guys because of versatility and keep bouncing them around, never let them get comfortable in one position and they end up mediocre at 4 positions instead of good at one. Hopefully Fitz is the exception to that.

Back
Top Bottom