Minkah Fitzpatrick Would Like An Answer From The Dolphins On This Key Question | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Minkah Fitzpatrick Would Like An Answer From The Dolphins On This Key Question

I want to thank Burke and Gase for trying their best to limit the growth of one of our best young players. Playing both Jones and McDonald(2 SS) at the same time, most of the time, was a dumb move. I pray to God, next year we finally have a decent DC.

I think at corner the athlete shows up in a negative way at times. Just don’t think he’s athletic enough to be a #1 corner.

But he’s got the work ethic and the tools to be a solid to high 2 I’d say maybe a low 1 if he maximized his gifts.

I think you’d get more play making with him at safety where the athlete is not an issue.

Regardless if he stays at corner he has to get that head around in the stem. I’m sure it will come in time and reps.

Malik hooker was suppose to be the next big thing in terms of play making on tbe ball etc and his college tape was rediculous in terms of range and ball skills etc but it hasn’t happened for him yet. Might even be considered a disappointment right now.
Not a good athlete a corner really every time I watch them play corner with the dolphins he would be in his opponents hip pocket every time I hardly got burned one problem I have with him is that he does not turn his head around if he did he would’ve finished with eight in the sections this year. But to agree with you yes his best position is free save the occasional nickel basically 75% safety 25%nickel corner

Its hard not to agree with this... I guess I dont see as much upside for him at FS as you do. I think ideally, the Fins would finally run those BIG nickle packages and use Minkah as their 3rd safety on the field allowing him to have pretty much any role on any given play. This is probably the optimal way to use a player with his skill set IMO...
That’s exactly how I would use him that’s our use and when I played Madden three safeties on the field in the big nickel just like the patriots best defense you could even make that your base

I’ve seen it all when someone said Ed Reed isn’t rare.

Just, wow.
Look at ANY dominant defense from the past/present and I'll lay odds that you'll find a dominant FS operating behind a dominant LB corp who operates behind a dominant front four...in other words they are good up the middle.

This year...Eddie Jackson (Chicago) was probably the worse player on that '16 Bama defense. Lowest drafted from the draft eligible starters for sure. As of now he's having the best career of all of them, with the exception of Marlon Humprhey.

Rare is such an intense modifier. It leaves you to think that these players have never happened and won't happen again anytime soon.

Look at ANY dominant defense from the past/present and I'll lay odds that you'll find a dominant FS operating behind a dominant LB corp who operates behind a dominant front four...in other words they are good up the middle.

This year...Eddie Jackson (Chicago) was probably the worse player on that '16 Bama defense. Lowest drafted from the draft eligible starters for sure. As of now he's having the best career of all of them, with the exception of Marlon Humprhey.

Rare is such an intense modifier. It leaves you to think that these players have never happened and won't happen again anytime soon.

Eddie Jackson was always a great cover Safety. He fell because of injury concerns and people questioned whether he had the form and physicality to consistently tackle players in space.

No, Byard and Smith both excellent Safeties, but neither has elite range. Neither is a dominant single-high Safety, and neither plays that role often. It's not even a serious discussion.
:funny: I'm picturing you writing this with your fingers in your ears.

I dont think you can make an argument about having the best career after 2 seasons 'as of now'... Its irrelevent... I mean, Ryan Fitzpatrick was on pace for 64 TDs this season after 2 games... Irrelevant. Whats rare about a Ed Reed is sustained success throughout his entire career. Whats rare is the fact that since he got drafted, no other defensive player has more INTs than he does(7th all-time). He's 14th in passed defensed, with all 13 above him being CBs... TDs? tied for 5th.

If that sounds dime a dozen to you....Well your fingers might not be in your ears but your head is definitely up your.....

I dont think you can make an argument about having the best career after 2 seasons 'as of now'... Its irrelevent... I mean, Ryan Fitzpatrick was on pace for 64 TDs this season after 2 games... Irrelevant. Whats rare about a Ed Reed is sustained success throughout his entire career. Whats rare is the fact that since he got drafted, no other defensive player has more INTs than he does(7th all-time). He's 14th in passed defensed, with all 13 above him being CBs... TDs? tied for 5th.

If that sounds dime a dozen to you....Well your fingers might not be in your ears but your head is definitely up your.....

Better than my mouth stuck on Ed Reed's...

None of you know what Minkah can do best. I do know he was an All America as a Safety...a Strong Safety at that. I do know that he won the Thorpe award as the best DB while playing safety. I do know hw won the Bednarik Award as the top defensive player while playing safety.

All this talk about him not processing this, and reacting to that flys in the face of what is presented, in regards to his awards.

"He's not Ed Reed..."

How do you know? I know he's not a boundary corner like Deion Sanders (since we're name dropping)...hell, he's not even Xavien Howard, yet we play people out of position and get used to the results.

Maybe there's some confusion. The instincts needed to excel as a centerfielder are somewhat unique. In general, if a Safety has great single-high instincts, they'll translate to other areas, but the inverse is not necessarily true. Not many players can line up 80+ feet off the ball, often in the middle of the field, and react quickly enough to cover sideline to sideline. Eddie Jackson would have been a better example than Smith or Byard, but he played in more 2-high looks, which Fangio has always favored, and I don't think his range is good enough to do what Reed and Thomas did out of single-high.

Malik Hooker is the closest thing coming out of college. If you want to see what elite range looks like, go watch his INT vs Clemson in the playoffs. That was about as good as anything I've seen.

Minkah Fitzpatrick is a tick late processing from deep. It showed up on film in Alabama. As a corner, he played MUCH better as a rookie than Xavien Howard did. Howard flashed, Fitzpatrick was very good overall. For much of the season, he had the lowest passer rating against according to PFF, and he posted 2 INT's and 9 PD. 2018 was Howard's first really good year. Before that, he was a player that flashed potential but gave up too many big plays.

The distinction many don't seem to understand is that a very good CB is worth much more than a very good Safety. Unless you have a Safety with elite range and/or elite playmaking ability, a good (not even very good) CB will be more valuable. Look at what each is paid if you don't believe me. So, I invoke the names of greats like Reed and Thomas, because that's the kind impact you need to justify a top-15 pick at Safety. To say that Fitzpatrick is not Deion Sanders completely misses the point and value structure of the positions.

The exception would be a guy like Derwin James who is a TE eraser, who can also match up with WR's, and make plays in the backfield either as a blitzer or edge rusher. James is rare, because he's a CB/S/ILB/OLB hybrid.

Better than my mouth stuck on Ed Reed's...

None of you know what Minkah can do best. I do know he was an All America as a Safety...a Strong Safety at that. I do know that he won the Thorpe award as the best DB while playing safety. I do know hw won the Bednarik Award as the top defensive player while playing safety.

All this talk about him not processing this, and reacting to that flys in the face of what is presented, in regards to his awards.

"He's not Ed Reed..."

How do you know? I know he's not a boundary corner like Deion Sanders (since we're name dropping)...hell, he's not even Xavien Howard, yet we play people out of position and get used to the results.

Maybe there's some confusion. The instincts needed to excel as a centerfielder are somewhat unique. In general, if a Safety has great single-high instincts, they'll translate to other areas, but the inverse is not necessarily true. Not many players can line up 80+ feet off the ball, often in the middle of the field, and react quickly enough to cover sideline to sideline. Eddie Jackson would have been a better example than Smith or Byard, but he played in more 2-high looks, which Fangio has always favored, and I don't think his range is good enough to do what Reed and Thomas did out of single-high.

Malik Hooker is the closest thing coming out of college. If you want to see what elite range looks like, go watch his INT vs Clemson in the playoffs. That was about as good as anything I've seen.

Minkah Fitzpatrick is a tick late processing from deep. It showed up on film in Alabama. As a corner, he played MUCH better as a rookie than Xavien Howard did. Howard flashed, Fitzpatrick was very good overall. For much of the season, he had the lowest passer rating against according to PFF, and he posted 2 INT's and 9 PD. 2018 was Howard's first really good year. Before that, he was a player that flashed potential but gave up too many big plays.

The distinction many don't seem to understand is that a very good CB is worth much more than a very good Safety. Unless you have a Safety with elite range and/or elite playmaking ability, a good (not even very good) CB will be more valuable. Look at what each is paid if you don't believe me. So, I invoke the names of greats like Reed and Thomas, because that's the kind impact you need to justify a top-15 pick at Safety. To say that Fitzpatrick is not Deion Sanders completely misses the point and value structure of the positions.

The exception would be a guy like Derwin James who is a TE eraser, who can also match up with WR's, and make plays in the backfield either as a blitzer or edge rusher. James is rare, because he's a CB/S/ILB/OLB hybrid.
James is a box safety he could never full time cover anyone he also has a great defensive team around him with good coaching & good leadership around him too used totally different even when moved around but he is a good player

James is a box safety he could never full time cover anyone he also has a great defensive team around him with good coaching & good leadership around him too used totally different even when moved around but he is a good player

Calling him a box Safety misrepresents what he does.

His ability to cover in man is special for a player his size, as is his ability to rush off the edge or as a blitzer.

416 snaps at box safety which is where he does damage he’s a box safety your not going to have him covering for a long period of time and he’s used as a lb not a 3rd corner when he is in slot totally different player actually he is very similar to Rashad

Back
Top Bottom