Miscellaneous Thoughts on The Dolphins After Watching the Playoffs | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miscellaneous Thoughts on The Dolphins After Watching the Playoffs

You mean "got sued by Flores because he was a bitter little bitch from getting fired".

There, FIFY.
Pretty much.. said the Hiring process in the NFL is racist even though the dolphins 2 head positions were black.. go Steelers though.. went to the team with a Rooney rule

Let me talk you off the ledge a bit because it’s really not that bad. We have a 2nd and two 3rds this draft. While Chubb isn’t Bosa, he’s good and likely better than anyone we would’ve drafted at the end of the 1st in a weak draft. Plus we can get out of the deal after next season if we choose to. The Texans and 49er trades were some of the best trades in recent nfl history and have set us up for success with a nice young nucleus that hasn’t even reached their prime yet. We all know Tua’s history but he is a pro bowl caliber qb and actual doctors have said that he isn’t more at risk for concussions than anyone else. I understand the impatience but this looks like a team that will annually be a contender for the next few years. I think we are the best team in our division right now at full strength.
THIS

the end result is was matters. that is how you evaluate the gm
The potential is what matters… Until we climb the mountain and make it to the top we’re ultimately just one of 31 other teams who failed. Now that we’ve made it to the South Summit we can set up camp and try for the Hillary Step next year!

Christian Wilkins is not a "botched" 1st round pick. He can hold his own with Jeff Simmons. 94 has been excellent the last two years. You want to knock Grier, that's fine. Plenty of other things to do that. Just because they used one of their five 1st and 2nd round picks in 2020 on Davis doesn't mean they "botched" the Wilkins pick. You said yourself he's a top 6 DT! Your take is not a good one.
Christian Wilkins has become the foundation of our defense A defense that will have a considerably improved Coordinator - anyone will be better than Boyer especially if one of Fangio, Desai, Richard or even (cough) Campagnile. No way anyone can say that Wilkins wasn’t the right pick at 13 - even in hindsight. Can’t do it.

Last edited:
I was being generous with top 6, he is probably top10… Simmons is top 3 at his position. Simmons has been a 2x Pro bowler and 2x All Pro at his position, Wilkins is not.

Going into the draft Simmons played in the tougher conference (SEC) compared to (ACC) with Wilkins. Simmons had he not been injured coming into the draft would have been a top 10 pick. He was the BPA when the Dolphins drafted. He had to sit out his rookie year but the Dolphins were early in their rebuild mode, so at that point with all the holes on their roster, you take BPA, no?

There’s no denying Wilkins’s motor. He had almost 100 tackles but how many of them were 3,4 or 5 yard PAST the line of scrimmage?
When looking at both players and stats, scheme matters. The Dolphins have one of the highest blitz rates in the NFL, while the Titans have one of the lowest blitz rates. So it’s a little easier for Wilkins to compile tackle stats when he along with 4 or 5 other Dolphins are on the line engaged with opposing lineman than it is for a team like the Titans where, they are one of the least blitzing teams and Simmons is getting doubled. Also, the Dolphins blitz a lot because they have TROUBLE getting to the QB without blitzing. The Titans defense is one least blitzing teams in the NFL and they also are one of the defensive leaders in creating pressure and most of the time it’s from there base D.

It’s not a bad take on my part, I’m just being objective.
Let’s keep this simple. Wilkins has 89 more tackles than Simmons the last two years! 89! The point is the pick was “not botched”. Yeah, bad take. Just own it.

grier has assembled a team that cannot win a playoff game!

Sure sure.

Or.

Grier assembled a team that was within 3 points of pulling the biggest upset in Wildcard history.

Without his starting
QB
RB
LG
RT
DE
CB2
SAFETY

Also without his backup
QB
LG
RT

I'm not a Grier defender, but anyone saying this team isn't really close is kidding themselves.

Grier can't control injuries.

-Who has been on the other side of a fair bit of Miami’s big trades over the last few years? Philadelphia and San Fran! Do you think Howie Roseman can’t wait to pick up the phone when anyone from the Dolphins organization calls? Yes one can argue the Jaylen Waddle thing worked out, but did it? DeVonta Smith is still playing and is also very good (and not dropping balls in a playoff game), and we still haven't won a playoff game (finished 9-9 this year) and Philadelphia is still playing, as is San Fran. Need to look at the whole mosaic. One of those teams will be in the SB, we are playing golf. Clearly those teams are doing something with their draft capital that we are not doing.

-Who would have thought Jalen Hurts would be the best of all of the Alabama QBs? Remind me did Philadelphia need to tank and draft him 5th, or did they get him with the 53rd pick in the 2nd round without tanking and then tampering because they didn't like their QB and then lose draft picks?

-Didn’t notice Shanahan and Purdy having a tough time getting the calls in on time and the plays off. In fact I didn’t notice it during the Dolphins/49ers game when Purdy and Shanahan had zero prep. Has it happened once in any of Purdy’s starts? I also noticed the 49ers run the ball a lot, and win dirty! Didn’t see the Madden joystick in Shanahan’s hands once. Yes, I am optimistic about McDaniel, but nerd boy has alot to learn and better do some serious self scouting before next year.

-Niners trade for McCaffrey. He helped meaningfully and they are still playing. Baltimore traded for Roquan Smith. He helped meaningfully, although they are not still playing, but that was not the fault of the defense. We gave up the house for Chubb, we are not playing, and he sucked!

-Coulda had Burrow. Thanks Grier, Flores and Ross. Much appreciated that you guys didn’t have your ducks in line before hiring Flores. Could have had a first and a third left for next year too. Thanks for that one also, maybe an honorable mention for Beal. Coulda had Drew Brees, went for Duante Culpepper instead. Coulda had Matt Ryan, took Jake Long and Chad Henne instead. Coulda had Herbert (who at least played), took Tua. Heck coulda had Purdy, took Skylar. Not like the organization hasn’t had its chances. Unreal, we set a world record for different ways of screwing it all up. Ross has been here for all of it, and Grier most of it. I want a special counsel!!!

-Have already written my rant in my head for when we fail to land Vic Fangio as DC, and we end up with another first time coordinator with no experience which is a terrible fit for McDaniel. I guess we can thank Grier for this one too. Word is out McDaniel wanted Fangio and they had him last year, and Grier made him keep Boyer. What kind of GM hires a coach, and then makes staffing decisions for him?

-Brett Maher is a better kicker than Grier is a GM. And Maher is about as accurate as Rick Ankiel!!!!

-Why does our special teams coach still have a job?

No I am not trolling. Yes I am bitter. It has been 20 years without a playoff win. We are now right back where we were after all of that. Up against the cap, no draft picks, we might not have a QB (health and durability issues, and even though Tua does certain things well it really has to be really lined up around him because he is one dimensional), no OL that we can rely on, and a bunch of aging overpaid vets on big deals. Why does Grier still have a job?
Stop it Please!!!! Jaylen Waddle! that deal worked out just fine, the problem is people on this site wants the dish before it's cooked.

-Who has been on the other side of a fair bit of Miami’s big trades over the last few years? Philadelphia and San Fran! Do you think Howie Roseman can’t wait to pick up the phone when anyone from the Dolphins organization calls? Yes one can argue the Jaylen Waddle thing worked out, but did it? DeVonta Smith is still playing and is also very good (and not dropping balls in a playoff game), and we still haven't won a playoff game (finished 9-9 this year) and Philadelphia is still playing, as is San Fran. Need to look at the whole mosaic. One of those teams will be in the SB, we are playing golf. Clearly those teams are doing something with their draft capital that we are not doing.

-Who would have thought Jalen Hurts would be the best of all of the Alabama QBs? Remind me did Philadelphia need to tank and draft him 5th, or did they get him with the 53rd pick in the 2nd round without tanking and then tampering because they didn't like their QB and then lose draft picks?

-Didn’t notice Shanahan and Purdy having a tough time getting the calls in on time and the plays off. In fact I didn’t notice it during the Dolphins/49ers game when Purdy and Shanahan had zero prep. Has it happened once in any of Purdy’s starts? I also noticed the 49ers run the ball a lot, and win dirty! Didn’t see the Madden joystick in Shanahan’s hands once. Yes, I am optimistic about McDaniel, but nerd boy has alot to learn and better do some serious self scouting before next year.

-Niners trade for McCaffrey. He helped meaningfully and they are still playing. Baltimore traded for Roquan Smith. He helped meaningfully, although they are not still playing, but that was not the fault of the defense. We gave up the house for Chubb, we are not playing, and he sucked!

-Coulda had Burrow. Thanks Grier, Flores and Ross. Much appreciated that you guys didn’t have your ducks in line before hiring Flores. Could have had a first and a third left for next year too. Thanks for that one also, maybe an honorable mention for Beal. Coulda had Drew Brees, went for Duante Culpepper instead. Coulda had Matt Ryan, took Jake Long and Chad Henne instead. Coulda had Herbert (who at least played), took Tua. Heck coulda had Purdy, took Skylar. Not like the organization hasn’t had its chances. Unreal, we set a world record for different ways of screwing it all up. Ross has been here for all of it, and Grier most of it. I want a special counsel!!!

-Have already written my rant in my head for when we fail to land Vic Fangio as DC, and we end up with another first time coordinator with no experience which is a terrible fit for McDaniel. I guess we can thank Grier for this one too. Word is out McDaniel wanted Fangio and they had him last year, and Grier made him keep Boyer. What kind of GM hires a coach, and then makes staffing decisions for him?

-Brett Maher is a better kicker than Grier is a GM. And Maher is about as accurate as Rick Ankiel!!!!

-Why does our special teams coach still have a job?

No I am not trolling. Yes I am bitter. It has been 20 years without a playoff win. We are now right back where we were after all of that. Up against the cap, no draft picks, we might not have a QB (health and durability issues, and even though Tua does certain things well it really has to be really lined up around him because he is one dimensional), no OL that we can rely on, and a bunch of aging overpaid vets on big deals. Why does Grier still have a job?
I have to give it to you, nice rant. I kind of want to push back on some things, but to be honest, I can't. All your points are fair and all of us are sick of not winning a playoff game. Optimistic about McD but as you say he definitely needs to self scout this off season and work on his weaknesses, and optimistic about Tua if he can learn to fall and stay healthy. i don't think he's one dimensional, I think he can get better too, health/durability is the issue with him. Flores is an idiot and was a horrible hire as you say, we could've had Burrow if we had the right coach, and I thought the exact same thing when I saw Purdy and Skylar, but every team was wrong on him, and hard to say that the 49ers got anything but lucky with him considering he was he last pick in the draft, but still, our guys chose Skyler over him. oops.

The potential is what matters… Until we climb the mountain and make it to the top we’re ultimately just one of 31 other teams who failed. Now that we’ve made it to the South Summit we can set up camp and try for the Hillary Step next year!

Sorry, I don't consider the team winning the AFC championship to be "one of 31 other teams who failed." There are 30 other teams who would have been happy to fail at that level. Yes, I want Miami to win a SB, but given the century to date, I'll consider the next playoff win as a happy day.

Sure sure.

Or.

Grier assembled a team that was within 3 points of pulling the biggest upset in Wildcard history.

Without his starting
QB
RB
LG
RT
DE
CB2
SAFETY

Also without his backup
QB
LG
RT

I'm not a Grier defender, but anyone saying this team isn't really close is kidding themselves.

Grier can't control injuries.
Grier can't control injuries? What happens when you sign and draft players that have injury histories? Surprised Tua got hurt? Surprised Bridgewater got hurt? Surprised Chubb got hurt? Surprised Armstead got hurt?

I have to give it to you, nice rant. I kind of want to push back on some things, but to be honest, I can't. All your points are fair and all of us are sick of not winning a playoff game. Optimistic about McD but as you say he definitely needs to self scout this off season and work on his weaknesses, and optimistic about Tua if he can learn to fall and stay healthy. i don't think he's one dimensional, I think he can get better too, health/durability is the issue with him. Flores is an idiot and was a horrible hire as you say, we could've had Burrow if we had the right coach, and I thought the exact same thing when I saw Purdy and Skylar, but every team was wrong on him, and hard to say that the 49ers got anything but lucky with him considering he was he last pick in the draft, but still, our guys chose Skyler over him. oops.
thanks. there is nothing wrong with being objective and discussing pros and cons. i am worried that we will never be successful with this owner and gm!

Grier can't control injuries? What happens when you sign and draft players that have injury histories? Surprised Tua got hurt? Surprised Bridgewater got hurt? Surprised Chubb got hurt? Surprised Armstead got hurt?

Ok,I see.

So you want a GM who won't take a player with any injury concerns?

That's not gonna be a very competitive team of 53.

Who's your QB choice? Just curious.

Ok,I see.

So you want a GM who won't take a player with any injury concerns?

That's not gonna be a very competitive team of 53.

Who's your QB choice? Just curious.
I dont think it's about taking one or two guys with injury concerns but when your most important positions on offense QB and LT, cant ever seem to finish a sandwich and stay healthy, it's a GM problem.

Then double down on Bridgewater as the backup who's also always hurt, it's just negligent managment.

I dont think it's about taking one or two guys with injury concerns but when your most important positions on offense QB and LT, cant ever seem to finish a sandwich and stay healthy, it's a GM problem.

Then double down on Bridgewater as the backup who's also always hurt, it's just negligent managment.

Sure, but again injuries aren't just subject to the Dolphins.

75% of teams starting QBS missed time this year.

Injuries to QBS are going to happen.
There's not 1 QB available, of 1 to be had in FA that had or could produce like Tua did in 13 games at his price tag. Heck Tua outperformed some who may have played more games then him.

Lt- he missed like 4 games, declined surgery to play in the playoffs.

Injuries happen in FB.

Miami was just very unlucky this year.

And again, I am not going to blame the GM for Injuries.

If that's the case, Miami should NEVER draft a prospect, or sign a FA that has had Injuries.

Let's put it in perspective.

Miami lost their
LG, RT,DE CB2and safety to season ending injuries.
How many other teams had similar luck

Now Eichenberg, Jackson, Ogbah, B Jones and Brandon Jones. What in their history suggest significant injury concerns?

Our season is way different with those guys healthy, even with injuries to our QB and LT

Missing a couple games is acceptable and expected.

But that's not what happened.

Grier is not out signing players with constant season ending injuries.

Back
Top Bottom