Miscellaneous Thoughts on The Dolphins After Watching the Playoffs | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miscellaneous Thoughts on The Dolphins After Watching the Playoffs

Yeah Grier has done good and bad, so it's tough.

It's clear Tua, when healthy is a top QB in the league. If he can stay healthy, great pick. Injuries will be the key.

Jackson- still willing to give him more time. He's what? 19 years old.

Iggy, clear bust.

Phillips- looks solid

Waddle great pick

Chubb? Well see. His value will be determined next year. Statistically he wasn't great. But team statistics improved quite a bit after his acquisition. But it comes down to this. Right now that pick is 29. Who in the draft would be a better option at 29 then Chubb? Again, next year is key. If he busts out with 12 plus sacks no one will care we traded a 1st.

Hill? Clearly worth it. Also, only 1 player in the draft would have made a positive impact to the offense like Hill. Maybe Linderbaum.

Javon Holland and Robert Hunt.

So looking at Grier the last 3 years. Assuming health.

He has acquired young core talent at
QB
WR
RG
DE
DT ( ONCE Wilkins is resigned)
CB ( KADER)
Safety

Tua, Phillips, Chubb, Holland, Waddle, Hill, kader, Hunt is a pretty good solid core moving forward.

Grier problem has been and appears to always be depth IMO
He drafted a QB with a broken hip and concussion…and a long list of injuries over his 2 incomplete seasons as a starter at Alabama…

You can’t caveat that with “he’s great when healthy” to justify the pick…

Austin Jackson is a bust…..

He drafted a QB with a broken hip and concussion…and a long list of injuries over his 2 incomplete seasons as a starter at Alabama…

Well, Tua was a top 10 QB easily this year.

Put up better or equal numbers to Justin Herbert ( minus yards of course) playing 4.5 games.

So yeah, I can caveat it because even missing 4.5 games he was better then atleast 23 other starting QBS in this league.

Jackson's not a bust yet

Well, Tua was a top 10 QB easily this year.

Put up better or equal numbers to Justin Herbert ( minus yards of course) playing 4.5 games.

So yeah, I can caveat it because even missing 4.5 games he was better then atleast 23 other starting QBS in this league.

Jackson's not a bust yet
5 seasons and Tua has never completed all of one of them…..

Jackson has failed at 3 different line positions…

5 seasons and Tua has never completed all of one of them…..

Jackson has failed at 3 different line positions…

By all means. Go ahead. You can have your Daniel Jones, Matt Ryan or Derek Carr and their middle of the pack production in 17 games.

I'll stick with Tua and his elite production in 12.5 games and look forward to him shedding that injury bug.

Feels like a stretch to believe Tua is going to start having healthy seasons.

Herbert would net multiple 1st round picks in a trade. I don't see any of that for Tua.

It's fair to question Chris Grier's draft skills.

Ok,I see.

So you want a GM who won't take a player with any injury concerns?

That's not gonna be a very competitive team of 53.

Who's your QB choice? Just curious.
herbert, but gm me would have also tanked properly and ended up with burrow. would have been on same page with coach i hired.

herbert, but gm me would have also tanked properly and ended up with burrow. would have been on same page with coach i hired.

That's not the question.

You can't have Herbert.

You're so eager to get rid of Tua.

Who's your available QB you're replacing him with?

Who are you drafting to replace him?

You would done this. Would done that. Who cares?

What will you do now? Who are you replacing Tua with?

That's not the question.

You can't have Herbert.

You're so eager to get rid of Tua.

Who's your available QB you're replacing him with?

Who are you drafting to replace him?

You would done this. Would done that. Who cares?

What will you do now? Who are you replacing Tua with?
that question is not germane to any of the points i made. they are screwed at this point. lying in the bed they made. there was an easy answer, they blew it, now back to no easy answer. thusly the point of my original post.

-Who has been on the other side of a fair bit of Miami’s big trades over the last few years? Philadelphia and San Fran! Do you think Howie Roseman can’t wait to pick up the phone when anyone from the Dolphins organization calls? Yes one can argue the Jaylen Waddle thing worked out, but did it? DeVonta Smith is still playing and is also very good (and not dropping balls in a playoff game), and we still haven't won a playoff game (finished 9-9 this year) and Philadelphia is still playing, as is San Fran. Need to look at the whole mosaic. One of those teams will be in the SB, we are playing golf. Clearly those teams are doing something with their draft capital that we are not doing.

-Who would have thought Jalen Hurts would be the best of all of the Alabama QBs? Remind me did Philadelphia need to tank and draft him 5th, or did they get him with the 53rd pick in the 2nd round without tanking and then tampering because they didn't like their QB and then lose draft picks?

-Didn’t notice Shanahan and Purdy having a tough time getting the calls in on time and the plays off. In fact I didn’t notice it during the Dolphins/49ers game when Purdy and Shanahan had zero prep. Has it happened once in any of Purdy’s starts? I also noticed the 49ers run the ball a lot, and win dirty! Didn’t see the Madden joystick in Shanahan’s hands once. Yes, I am optimistic about McDaniel, but nerd boy has alot to learn and better do some serious self scouting before next year.

-Niners trade for McCaffrey. He helped meaningfully and they are still playing. Baltimore traded for Roquan Smith. He helped meaningfully, although they are not still playing, but that was not the fault of the defense. We gave up the house for Chubb, we are not playing, and he sucked!

-Coulda had Burrow. Thanks Grier, Flores and Ross. Much appreciated that you guys didn’t have your ducks in line before hiring Flores. Could have had a first and a third left for next year too. Thanks for that one also, maybe an honorable mention for Beal. Coulda had Drew Brees, went for Duante Culpepper instead. Coulda had Matt Ryan, took Jake Long and Chad Henne instead. Coulda had Herbert (who at least played), took Tua. Heck coulda had Purdy, took Skylar. Not like the organization hasn’t had its chances. Unreal, we set a world record for different ways of screwing it all up. Ross has been here for all of it, and Grier most of it. I want a special counsel!!!

-Have already written my rant in my head for when we fail to land Vic Fangio as DC, and we end up with another first time coordinator with no experience which is a terrible fit for McDaniel. I guess we can thank Grier for this one too. Word is out McDaniel wanted Fangio and they had him last year, and Grier made him keep Boyer. What kind of GM hires a coach, and then makes staffing decisions for him?

-Brett Maher is a better kicker than Grier is a GM. And Maher is about as accurate as Rick Ankiel!!!!

-Why does our special teams coach still have a job?

No I am not trolling. Yes I am bitter. It has been 20 years without a playoff win. We are now right back where we were after all of that. Up against the cap, no draft picks, we might not have a QB (health and durability issues, and even though Tua does certain things well it really has to be really lined up around him because he is one dimensional), no OL that we can rely on, and a bunch of aging overpaid vets on big deals. Why does Grier still have a job?
Here’s a cookie.

1674905270660.jpeg

Feel better?

that question is not germane to any of the points i made. they are screwed at this point. lying in the bed they made. there was an easy answer, they blew it, now back to no easy answer. thusly the point of my original post.

Wasn't this about injuries?

If so it is germane. Wow, nice big word haha. I love it buddy.

If you are complaining about injuries, who is Miami replacing Tua with?

If you are saying we need to lie in the bed we made then stop whining. Enjoy the season and go
"Awwww shucks" when tragedy strikes.

But if you are going to complain, offer a solution. Not should have, would have etc.

For example who should Miami replace Moster, Wilson, Armstead, Chubb, Tua etc with.

I think the only thing I agree with you on is Roquan Smith.

Also, I'll play the should game.

Herbert/ Tua
Chubb/ Smith

Now help me out

Mostert
Wilson
Byron Jones
Armstead
Brandon Jones
Eichenberg
Iggy
Ogbah

Who would you have signed or replaced with?

Give me cap numbers and contracts.
Make sure either draft pick is taken into consideration and salary.

Can't wait to see the team you assembled.

Remember. Account for Herbert and R Smiths contract.

I'll let you start with them.

Just curious. Had Miami drafted Herbert, how long would it have been before another abysmal GM had drafted TT? I seriously doubt every other team would have passed on him because of his history.

they havent won a playoff game in 20 years

Yea, but they got there this year with a rookie head coach, the offence is the best it’s been since Marino, and the D has talent, hopefully maximized with a different scheme next year… more importantly the team was competitive in the wildcard game- looked like they belonged despite missing a number of starters including #1 and his back up- we’re closer than we have been in years to winning that playoff game- keep it positive bro
I would love to be positive, but all these years of Miami being irrelevant makes it hard. On one hand, the fact that they made it to the playoffs this year shows that they're close. On the other hand, when you look deeper, you see that it's all a charade. Best offense since Marino? Yes, when you look at strictly passing stats from games where the defense didn't take away the Tua, Hill, and Waddle combination. If they were so good, then why did they struggle when those plays weren't successful? Why was this explosive and potentially high-scoring offense shut down at times, sometimes for an entire quarter or half? Why are they at or near the bottom of the league in rushing attempts, especially since they ran very well in a few games? Because McDaniel isn't very good at running an offense.

Many people cite injuries as a big problem. Okay... that's a part of it. Why did Grier sign an injury prone LT without also signing a competent replacement for him? What does it say about the o-line when there's such a huge drop-off in performance when just one guy is out? This tells me that the o-line is poorly constructed with no quality depth. I agree that the defense had more than their fair share of injuries in the secondary, but they had a big problem with consistency. Why is it that even when they were playing well and making big plays, that all came to an end as soon as they neared the end of the first half or the final few minutes of the game? Some point to Miami beating Buffalo in Week #3 as being due to the defense. Wrong... I recently rewatched that game, and Miami should have lost. Buffalo completely outplayed Miami, but they lost due to a bit of poor time management and a bad pass short of the mark by Allen on that final drive.

I do think that that there is talent on this team. With a few exceptions, they pretty much hung in there in most games and kept it close; some losses could've been wins, and some wins could've been losses. That shows that they're close to being respectable again, but it also shows that they're mediocre. IMO, McDaniel needs to let someone else run the offense and just be the Head Coach. They have the talent and potential (once the o-line is fixed) to be a well-rounded, dangerous offense, but McDaniel is too one-dimensional and apparently doesn't feel that adjustments are needed. The defense should be better when guys return from injury, but they need a new DC and better schemes and gameplans, along with some more talented LBs. After a tear-down, Grier ended up with a total of ten 1st and 2nd round picks over two drafts, so why are there still so many holes and positions that need improving? And, why do they have such a problem with finding five competent starters and decent depth for the o-line? I don't think that Grier's few hits make up for his mistakes; other teams have greatly improved from one year to the next with far less resources.

Observations: te Dolphins sucked again this year when it counted the most!!!
We were Bozo almost winners for like the thirtieth year in a row??
Start the clown music…..NOW!!!

Quit your raving.
Oh, I see, you are trying to live up to some stupid made-up name.
Let me offer you a suggestion: try "Lemming", its more "Dolphins-centric". - LOL

Nice - thank you - I was once a fan like you! I respect that - fight on brother!!!

-Have already written my rant in my head for when we fail to land Vic Fangio as DC, and we end up with another first time coordinator with no experience which is a terrible fit for McDaniel. I guess we can thank Grier for this one too. Word is out McDaniel wanted Fangio and they had him last year, and Grier made him keep Boyer. What kind of GM hires a coach, and then makes staffing decisions for him?
How'd that work out for ya?

You were so ready to blast Grier if he missed out of Fangio. You willing to praise him for making it work?

If not, your post is agenda-driven and not objective.

Back
Top Bottom