Miscellaneous Thoughts on The Dolphins After Watching the Playoffs | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miscellaneous Thoughts on The Dolphins After Watching the Playoffs

Wait are you suggesting Hurts doesn’t have the best Oline and weapons all around him

Because I think you just did

Carrie Brownstein Television GIF
Whose fault is it that we don't have an oline? Interesting Philly has better weapons as well. Sounds like you are making my point about Grier. Thanks!

-Who has been on the other side of a fair bit of Miami’s big trades over the last few years? Philadelphia and San Fran! Do you think Howie Roseman can’t wait to pick up the phone when anyone from the Dolphins organization calls? Yes one can argue the Jaylen Waddle thing worked out, but did it? DeVonta Smith is still playing and is also very good (and not dropping balls in a playoff game), and we still haven't won a playoff game (finished 9-9 this year) and Philadelphia is still playing, as is San Fran. Need to look at the whole mosaic. One of those teams will be in the SB, we are playing golf. Clearly those teams are doing something with their draft capital that we are not doing.

-Who would have thought Jalen Hurts would be the best of all of the Alabama QBs? Remind me did Philadelphia need to tank and draft him 5th, or did they get him with the 53rd pick in the 2nd round without tanking and then tampering because they didn't like their QB and then lose draft picks?

-Didn’t notice Shanahan and Purdy having a tough time getting the calls in on time and the plays off. In fact I didn’t notice it during the Dolphins/49ers game when Purdy and Shanahan had zero prep. Has it happened once in any of Purdy’s starts? I also noticed the 49ers run the ball a lot, and win dirty! Didn’t see the Madden joystick in Shanahan’s hands once. Yes, I am optimistic about McDaniel, but nerd boy has alot to learn and better do some serious self scouting before next year.

-Niners trade for McCaffrey. He helped meaningfully and they are still playing. Baltimore traded for Roquan Smith. He helped meaningfully, although they are not still playing, but that was not the fault of the defense. We gave up the house for Chubb, we are not playing, and he sucked!

-Coulda had Burrow. Thanks Grier, Flores and Ross. Much appreciated that you guys didn’t have your ducks in line before hiring Flores. Could have had a first and a third left for next year too. Thanks for that one also, maybe an honorable mention for Beal. Coulda had Drew Brees, went for Duante Culpepper instead. Coulda had Matt Ryan, took Jake Long and Chad Henne instead. Coulda had Herbert (who at least played), took Tua. Heck coulda had Purdy, took Skylar. Not like the organization hasn’t had its chances. Unreal, we set a world record for different ways of screwing it all up. Ross has been here for all of it, and Grier most of it. I want a special counsel!!!

-Have already written my rant in my head for when we fail to land Vic Fangio as DC, and we end up with another first time coordinator with no experience which is a terrible fit for McDaniel. I guess we can thank Grier for this one too. Word is out McDaniel wanted Fangio and they had him last year, and Grier made him keep Boyer. What kind of GM hires a coach, and then makes staffing decisions for him?

-Brett Maher is a better kicker than Grier is a GM. And Maher is about as accurate as Rick Ankiel!!!!

-Why does our special teams coach still have a job?

No I am not trolling. Yes I am bitter. It has been 20 years without a playoff win. We are now right back where we were after all of that. Up against the cap, no draft picks, we might not have a QB (health and durability issues, and even though Tua does certain things well it really has to be really lined up around him because he is one dimensional), no OL that we can rely on, and a bunch of aging overpaid vets on big deals. Why does Grier still have a job?
Stopped reading after the first point when San Fran blew all their trade draft capital from us on a QB who would be 3rd string next year.

San Fran and Philly have the two best offensive lines in the league. Neither of them got any of that from us (unless you want to argue that they have Lane Johnson because we took Dion ****ing Jordan instead). They also probably have the two best defensive lines in the league... again... not from us.

Their bases were set up before us.

It’s close but right now Chase is the best WR from that draft. But waddle needs to clean some things up and he can be #1. Plus waddle seems to be more durable than Chase.
If we go back to that draft period...the issue at the time was not knowing what the effect of taking a full year off due to Covid ( and also the stigma surrounding that as maybe Chase was lazy or chicken) would affect Chase's production. I strongly agreed at the time that Waddle was the better bet. So really this is another hindsight question and in fact I think we're talking about 2 Ferrari's here so hope this helps.

If we go back to that draft period...the issue at the time was not knowing what the effect of taking a full year off due to Covid ( and also the stigma surrounding that as maybe Chase was lazy or chicken) would affect Chase's production. I strongly agreed at the time that Waddle was the better bet. So really this is another hindsight question and in fact I think we're talking about 2 Ferrari's here so hope this helps.
It's also a comparison between Chase vs Waddle + Hill, isn't it? We traded back to 6 to net an extra first and then traded that first rounder for Hill.

Only 2 of those players are 30 or older (Armstead & Jones) and Jones will most likely be gone. Ogbah and X are 29 and Baker is 26. Hardly a bunch of nursing home candidates. Here's the list of every player 30 and older, not many high-priced guys here and most of them probably won't be back...

Terron Armstead 31 - Under contract
Justin Bethel 32 - FA
Teddy Bridgewater 30 - FA
John Jenkins 33 - FA
Melvin Ingram 33 - FA
Thomas Morstead 33 - FA re-sign hopefully
Raheem Mostert 30 - FA
Eric Rowe 30 - FA
Brandon Shell 30 - FA
Justin ZImmer 30 - FA
Byron Jones 30 - Under contract, most likely to be released

So you see we have a ton of flexibility when it comes to aging veterans and we wouldn't miss many of them if they were not resigned. O-linemen typically play well, into their 30's

When you rant about everything being wrong it's a good idea to back it up with factual examples rather than just venting nonsense and repeating talking points. It's fine immediately after the loss, emotions are running high, but sooner or later you have to explore the facts removed from any emotion. Doesn't lend itself well to credibility and it comes across as bitching for the sake of bitching.

We're all pissed about how the season turned out and you have the right to be too, hence my comment about having the right to be miserable. Don't know what was wrong with that comment...
Not sure that Byron Jones is most likely to be released. Especially if there is any movement on X one way or the other...Morestead and Mostert should be re-signed - For me Ingram and Rowe are big question marks and the rest are likely gone. ( with exception of Shell and Jenkins, if they are at close to league minimum)

Grier **** the bed. He went from a savvy trader, who was able to obtain a slew of draft capital and cap space. Only to see him waste it on projects that still haven't worked out, trading away picks in an attempt to go all in, and spending money and picks on injury prone and overrated players. I'm sick of this guy!!! 😒
And Ross sits back and allows this to continue. Ever since Ross took over, he's made poor decision after poor decision. They (Ross and Grier) keep choosing Head Coaches with no experience, and who technically weren't even qualified to be Coordinators. Ross is clueless, and Grier appears to be afraid of hiring anyone with lots of experience who might question his job performance. If Ross is truly fond of Grier and wants to keep him, at least get a real GM and have Grier be a consultant. Grier is good at some things, but a real GM could make sure that Grier just helps with trades and stays away from the actual drafting or signing of Free Agents... especially o-line! He overpaid for a LT with an injury history who can't stay on the field. That money would've been better spent on two decent, competent o-linemen who aren't injury prone. While Chubb hasn't done much, according to others his presence may have helped the defense get more sacks. That's good, but Grier not only overpaid for him, he also gave up a much-needed 1st round draft pick. I know Ross can't be fired, but this team needs to replace Grier if they want to actually improve.

I read that the Bengals were going into their playoff game against Buffalo missing two of their starting o-linemen. You'd think that this would've been a huge problem, but the Bengals dominated the line of scrimmage! Now compare that to Grier and his o-line...

Do you think Deuce Vaughn from K-State could be a mini-McCaffrey. Deuce is small and has that question mark to answer, but he could be used in a lot of the same ways in a lesser reserve role. Vaughn on screens, draws, circle routes and even lining up in the slot from time to time could make Miami's offense more dynamic. Just an issue of the size question. Then again McCaffrey hasn't been the beacon of health in his career, so I'm not sure Deuce would get injured too much more than Christian has been.Vaughn might be intresting on 6 or 7 carries per game and 4 or 5 receptions. Plus he has return skills.
Literally thought the exact same thing as I read Awsi’s post, and before I scrolled down.

Only 2 of those players are 30 or older (Armstead & Jones) and Jones will most likely be gone. Ogbah and X are 29 and Baker is 26. Hardly a bunch of nursing home candidates. Here's the list of every player 30 and older, not many high-priced guys here and most of them probably won't be back...

Terron Armstead 31 - Under contract
Justin Bethel 32 - FA
Teddy Bridgewater 30 - FA
John Jenkins 33 - FA
Melvin Ingram 33 - FA
Thomas Morstead 33 - FA re-sign hopefully
Raheem Mostert 30 - FA
Eric Rowe 30 - FA
Brandon Shell 30 - FA
Justin ZImmer 30 - FA
Byron Jones 30 - Under contract, most likely to be released

So you see we have a ton of flexibility when it comes to aging veterans and we wouldn't miss many of them if they were not resigned. O-linemen typically play well, into their 30's

When you rant about everything being wrong it's a good idea to back it up with factual examples rather than just venting nonsense and repeating talking points. It's fine immediately after the loss, emotions are running high, but sooner or later you have to explore the facts removed from any emotion. Doesn't lend itself well to credibility and it comes across as bitching for the sake of bitching.

We're all pissed about how the season turned out and you have the right to be too, hence my comment about having the right to be miserable. Don't know what was wrong with that comment...
You talk about 30 year old lineman playing well into there 30’s.

Lets talk some fact regarding Armstead. He played 13 of the 17 regular season games and at the end of the season he had 4 body parts that were injured (hip,knee,peck and toe), missing the last 2 regular season games. He has never played more than 15 games in a season and did that only once for the Saints. He has averaged about 11 games a season in his career, when he was YOUNGER. He has NOT practiced much in the last 2 seasons, this year with us and last year with the Saints.

In your opinion how realistic is it, as Armstead ages, that he will not only play a full season to help us secure an AFC East title BUT be healthy enough to play LT deep into the postseason, should the Dolphins advance that far. Dude is making 15 million a year on average.

Id also like to know if you think that was a good signing by Grier?

Armstead career games played​

GAMETACKLESFUMBLES
YEARTMGGSTOTFUMFR
2022MIA1313000
2021NO88100
2020NO1414000
2019NO1515000
2018NO1010000
2017NO1010100
2016NO77000
2015NO1313100
2014NO1414000
2013NO62000
Total110106300

You talk about 30 year old lineman playing well into there 30’s.

Lets talk some fact regarding Armstead. He played 13 of the 17 regular season games and at the end of the season he had 4 body parts that were injured (hip,knee,peck and toe), missing the last 2 regular season games. He has never played more than 15 games in a season and did that only once for the Saints. He has averaged about 11 games a season in his career, when he was YOUNGER. He has NOT practiced much in the last 2 seasons, this year with us and last year with the Saints.

In your opinion how realistic is it, as Armstead ages, that he will not only play a full season to help us secure an AFC East title BUT be healthy enough to play LT deep into the postseason, should the Dolphins advance that far. Dude is making 15 million a year on average.

Id also like to know if you think that was a good signing by Grier?

Armstead career games played​

YEARTMGGSTOTFUMFR
GAMETACKLESFUMBLES
2022MIA1313000
2021NO88100
2020NO1414000
2019NO1515000
2018NO1010000
2017NO1010100
2016NO77000
2015NO1313100
2014NO1414000
2013NO62000
Total110106300
Wow..now this is the textbook definition of an often injured player.

-Who has been on the other side of a fair bit of Miami’s big trades over the last few years? Philadelphia and San Fran! Do you think Howie Roseman can’t wait to pick up the phone when anyone from the Dolphins organization calls? Yes one can argue the Jaylen Waddle thing worked out, but did it? DeVonta Smith is still playing and is also very good (and not dropping balls in a playoff game), and we still haven't won a playoff game (finished 9-9 this year) and Philadelphia is still playing, as is San Fran. Need to look at the whole mosaic. One of those teams will be in the SB, we are playing golf. Clearly those teams are doing something with their draft capital that we are not doing.

-Who would have thought Jalen Hurts would be the best of all of the Alabama QBs? Remind me did Philadelphia need to tank and draft him 5th, or did they get him with the 53rd pick in the 2nd round without tanking and then tampering because they didn't like their QB and then lose draft picks?

-Didn’t notice Shanahan and Purdy having a tough time getting the calls in on time and the plays off. In fact I didn’t notice it during the Dolphins/49ers game when Purdy and Shanahan had zero prep. Has it happened once in any of Purdy’s starts? I also noticed the 49ers run the ball a lot, and win dirty! Didn’t see the Madden joystick in Shanahan’s hands once. Yes, I am optimistic about McDaniel, but nerd boy has alot to learn and better do some serious self scouting before next year.

-Niners trade for McCaffrey. He helped meaningfully and they are still playing. Baltimore traded for Roquan Smith. He helped meaningfully, although they are not still playing, but that was not the fault of the defense. We gave up the house for Chubb, we are not playing, and he sucked!

-Coulda had Burrow. Thanks Grier, Flores and Ross. Much appreciated that you guys didn’t have your ducks in line before hiring Flores. Could have had a first and a third left for next year too. Thanks for that one also, maybe an honorable mention for Beal. Coulda had Drew Brees, went for Duante Culpepper instead. Coulda had Matt Ryan, took Jake Long and Chad Henne instead. Coulda had Herbert (who at least played), took Tua. Heck coulda had Purdy, took Skylar. Not like the organization hasn’t had its chances. Unreal, we set a world record for different ways of screwing it all up. Ross has been here for all of it, and Grier most of it. I want a special counsel!!!

-Have already written my rant in my head for when we fail to land Vic Fangio as DC, and we end up with another first time coordinator with no experience which is a terrible fit for McDaniel. I guess we can thank Grier for this one too. Word is out McDaniel wanted Fangio and they had him last year, and Grier made him keep Boyer. What kind of GM hires a coach, and then makes staffing decisions for him?

-Brett Maher is a better kicker than Grier is a GM. And Maher is about as accurate as Rick Ankiel!!!!

-Why does our special teams coach still have a job?

No I am not trolling. Yes I am bitter. It has been 20 years without a playoff win. We are now right back where we were after all of that. Up against the cap, no draft picks, we might not have a QB (health and durability issues, and even though Tua does certain things well it really has to be really lined up around him because he is one dimensional), no OL that we can rely on, and a bunch of aging overpaid vets on big deals. Why does Grier still have a job?
You do realize SF gave us 3 picks to draft Trey Lance, and the only thing he did to help the Niners this year was get hurt, right?

Stopped reading after the first point when San Fran blew all their trade draft capital from us on a QB who would be 3rd string next year.

San Fran and Philly have the two best offensive lines in the league. Neither of them got any of that from us (unless you want to argue that they have Lane Johnson because we took Dion ****ing Jordan instead). They also probably have the two best defensive lines in the league... again... not from us.

Their bases were set up before us.
how have we done building our offensive line? thanks for making my point!

Back
Top Bottom