Miscellaneous Thoughts on The Dolphins After Watching the Playoffs | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miscellaneous Thoughts on The Dolphins After Watching the Playoffs

You do realize SF gave us 3 picks to draft Trey Lance, and the only thing he did to help the Niners this year was get hurt, right?
umm they are still playing, we are not. they have won playoff games and been to SBs recently, we have not. thanks for making my point!

how have we done building our offensive line? thanks for making my point!
Now that we have coaches that are actually good at their jobs? They're ok. Not great, but going from worst ever to "ok" is a massive improvement, and that's with the starting RT not playing the whole year.

We had a top 10 offense for the first time in 20+ years. Good try though.

-Who has been on the other side of a fair bit of Miami’s big trades over the last few years? Philadelphia and San Fran! Do you think Howie Roseman can’t wait to pick up the phone when anyone from the Dolphins organization calls? Yes one can argue the Jaylen Waddle thing worked out, but did it? DeVonta Smith is still playing and is also very good (and not dropping balls in a playoff game), and we still haven't won a playoff game (finished 9-9 this year) and Philadelphia is still playing, as is San Fran. Need to look at the whole mosaic. One of those teams will be in the SB, we are playing golf. Clearly those teams are doing something with their draft capital that we are not doing.

-Who would have thought Jalen Hurts would be the best of all of the Alabama QBs? Remind me did Philadelphia need to tank and draft him 5th, or did they get him with the 53rd pick in the 2nd round without tanking and then tampering because they didn't like their QB and then lose draft picks?

-Didn’t notice Shanahan and Purdy having a tough time getting the calls in on time and the plays off. In fact I didn’t notice it during the Dolphins/49ers game when Purdy and Shanahan had zero prep. Has it happened once in any of Purdy’s starts? I also noticed the 49ers run the ball a lot, and win dirty! Didn’t see the Madden joystick in Shanahan’s hands once. Yes, I am optimistic about McDaniel, but nerd boy has alot to learn and better do some serious self scouting before next year.

-Niners trade for McCaffrey. He helped meaningfully and they are still playing. Baltimore traded for Roquan Smith. He helped meaningfully, although they are not still playing, but that was not the fault of the defense. We gave up the house for Chubb, we are not playing, and he sucked!

-Coulda had Burrow. Thanks Grier, Flores and Ross. Much appreciated that you guys didn’t have your ducks in line before hiring Flores. Could have had a first and a third left for next year too. Thanks for that one also, maybe an honorable mention for Beal. Coulda had Drew Brees, went for Duante Culpepper instead. Coulda had Matt Ryan, took Jake Long and Chad Henne instead. Coulda had Herbert (who at least played), took Tua. Heck coulda had Purdy, took Skylar. Not like the organization hasn’t had its chances. Unreal, we set a world record for different ways of screwing it all up. Ross has been here for all of it, and Grier most of it. I want a special counsel!!!

-Have already written my rant in my head for when we fail to land Vic Fangio as DC, and we end up with another first time coordinator with no experience which is a terrible fit for McDaniel. I guess we can thank Grier for this one too. Word is out McDaniel wanted Fangio and they had him last year, and Grier made him keep Boyer. What kind of GM hires a coach, and then makes staffing decisions for him?

-Brett Maher is a better kicker than Grier is a GM. And Maher is about as accurate as Rick Ankiel!!!!

-Why does our special teams coach still have a job?

No I am not trolling. Yes I am bitter. It has been 20 years without a playoff win. We are now right back where we were after all of that. Up against the cap, no draft picks, we might not have a QB (health and durability issues, and even though Tua does certain things well it really has to be really lined up around him because he is one dimensional), no OL that we can rely on, and a bunch of aging overpaid vets on big deals. Why does Grier still have a job?
Let me talk you off the ledge a bit because it’s really not that bad. We have a 2nd and two 3rds this draft. While Chubb isn’t Bosa, he’s good and likely better than anyone we would’ve drafted at the end of the 1st in a weak draft. Plus we can get out of the deal after next season if we choose to. The Texans and 49er trades were some of the best trades in recent nfl history and have set us up for success with a nice young nucleus that hasn’t even reached their prime yet. We all know Tua’s history but he is a pro bowl caliber qb and actual doctors have said that he isn’t more at risk for concussions than anyone else. I understand the impatience but this looks like a team that will annually be a contender for the next few years. I think we are the best team in our division right now at full strength.

You talk about 30 year old lineman playing well into there 30’s.

Lets talk some fact regarding Armstead. He played 13 of the 17 regular season games and at the end of the season he had 4 body parts that were injured (hip,knee,peck and toe), missing the last 2 regular season games. He has never played more than 15 games in a season and did that only once for the Saints. He has averaged about 11 games a season in his career, when he was YOUNGER. He has NOT practiced much in the last 2 seasons, this year with us and last year with the Saints.

In your opinion how realistic is it, as Armstead ages, that he will not only play a full season to help us secure an AFC East title BUT be healthy enough to play LT deep into the postseason, should the Dolphins advance that far. Dude is making 15 million a year on average.

Id also like to know if you think that was a good signing by Grier?

Armstead career games played​

YEARTMGGSTOTFUMFR
GAMETACKLESFUMBLES
2022MIA1313000
2021NO88100
2020NO1414000
2019NO1515000
2018NO1010000
2017NO1010100
2016NO77000
2015NO1313100
2014NO1414000
2013NO62000
Total110106300
A lot of them do play into their 30's, I didn't single out Armstead as an example of one even though he is. He's had an injury-riddled career, no debating that, but when he plays, he's one of the tops in the league. You have to remember when we signed him we had no left tackle and there weren't many on the market, certainly none close to having his elite ability. I mean we coulda always stuck with Jackson or Eichenberg.

They don't hit free agency very often because the dominant ones are so few and far between. I'll take Armstead for 13 games over the alternative for 17 all day long. There is no argument we're a much better line when he's in there.
What would you have done given the circumstances if you were Grier? And him drafting better isn't an acceptable answer, it was irrelevant at the time, we're talking about where we were when he made the decision. Hindsight doesn't apply here.

Here are the top available FA tackles in 2022. There's only 1 elite one on the list. Slim pickings here...
  1. Terron Armstead, Age: 30.
  2. Orlando Brown Jr. Age: 25. Franchised by the Chiefs, never hit FA.
  3. Duane Brown Age: 37. This is a bit too old
  4. Eric Fisher Age: 31. Let go by the Colts because he wasn't good
  5. Trent Brown Age: 29 Injured, missed 24 games the previous 3 seasons. Resigned by the Pats
We were in a bad spot and had to do something, we went out and got the best FA in the class. The Saints only let him go because they couldn't afford to keep him, they wanted him to stay but the numbers weren't close.

A lot of them do play into their 30's, I didn't single out Armstead as an example of one even though he is. He's had an injury-riddled career, no debating that, but when he plays, he's one of the tops in the league. You have to remember when we signed him we had no left tackle and there weren't many on the market, certainly none close to having his elite ability. I mean we coulda always stuck with Jackson or Eichenberg.

They don't hit free agency very often because the dominant ones are so few and far between. I'll take Armstead for 13 games over the alternative for 17 all day long. There is no argument we're a much better line when he's in there.
What would you have done given the circumstances if you were Grier? And him drafting better isn't an acceptable answer, it was irrelevant at the time, we're talking about where we were when he made the decision. Hindsight doesn't apply here.

Here are the top available FA tackles in 2022. There's only 1 elite one on the list. Slim pickings here...
  1. Terron Armstead, Age: 30.
  2. Orlando Brown Jr. Age: 25. Franchised by the Chiefs, never hit FA.
  3. Duane Brown Age: 37. This is a bit too old
  4. Eric Fisher Age: 31. Let go by the Colts because he wasn't good
  5. Trent Brown Age: 29 Injured, missed 24 games the previous 3 seasons. Resigned by the Pats
We were in a bad spot and had to do something, we went out and got the best FA in the class. The Saints only let him go because they couldn't afford to keep him, they wanted him to stay but the numbers weren't close.
If i where Grier I would have called around the league and traded for one. For example, Andre Dilliard from the Eagles.

Its unfortunate that we are stuck with a GM that is reactionary instead of proactive. He drafted 2 guys early in Jackson and Eichenberg and neither has the ability to play LT at league average. They have both been here atleast 2 years and Grier had no contingency plan when they were drafted other than to let both sink or swim as STARTERS, or play Jesse Davis 😂. He had 2 years to sign or trade for a league average tackle and allow those 2 players to learn and improve their skills by practicing until they were ready, Grier was ultimately forced to sign a oft-injured free agent LT in Armstead and give him a boatload of money. 🤦

I forgot about Jesse Davis :lol:.
How do we know he didn't try to trade for someone? You have to have a willing partner and the trade capital has to be reasonable. Look at what we received when we traded Tunsil, we robbed Houston, the offer was too good to pass up. We weren't shopping him but someone presented an offer we couldn't refuse. We would have had to offer up a similar deal to pry someone from another team and we weren't willing to do that I guess. The problem is if we were calling around the other teams knew our situation and I'm sure were trying to bend us over a barrel, especially knowing the draft capital we had stockpiled. We just don't know what we don't know, we only see the end result, not how we arrived at it...

he should have about 11 months to rehab since sustaining the injury and be ready for the start of the season...its gonna be close

I don't think Miami ever had a shot at Burrow, unless they really were out to lose games. It came down to Tua versus Herbert and there's certainly an argument there since Tua has struggled to stay on the field.

The SF trade essentially netted Miami Waddle, Hill and Chubb for Lance. Going into next year, Lance will be backing up Purdy unless the 49ers trade him. It's hard to imagine SF would get more than a 3rd round pick for him since he hasn't played and is coming off an injury.

I didn't care for the Philadelphia trade at the time, but love Waddle. Miami gave up a lot to move up.

KC looked different earlier in the year without Hill, but they figured it out. Mahomes is sensational and Reid is one of the best head coaches.

Whether or not you like Grier, he has been bold. Hill easily could be on the Jets. Without dealing up, Waddle would be on another team too.

-Who has been on the other side of a fair bit of Miami’s big trades over the last few years? Philadelphia and San Fran! Do you think Howie Roseman can’t wait to pick up the phone when anyone from the Dolphins organization calls? Yes one can argue the Jaylen Waddle thing worked out, but did it? DeVonta Smith is still playing and is also very good (and not dropping balls in a playoff game), and we still haven't won a playoff game (finished 9-9 this year) and Philadelphia is still playing, as is San Fran. Need to look at the whole mosaic. One of those teams will be in the SB, we are playing golf. Clearly those teams are doing something with their draft capital that we are not doing.

-Who would have thought Jalen Hurts would be the best of all of the Alabama QBs? Remind me did Philadelphia need to tank and draft him 5th, or did they get him with the 53rd pick in the 2nd round without tanking and then tampering because they didn't like their QB and then lose draft picks?

-Didn’t notice Shanahan and Purdy having a tough time getting the calls in on time and the plays off. In fact I didn’t notice it during the Dolphins/49ers game when Purdy and Shanahan had zero prep. Has it happened once in any of Purdy’s starts? I also noticed the 49ers run the ball a lot, and win dirty! Didn’t see the Madden joystick in Shanahan’s hands once. Yes, I am optimistic about McDaniel, but nerd boy has alot to learn and better do some serious self scouting before next year.

-Niners trade for McCaffrey. He helped meaningfully and they are still playing. Baltimore traded for Roquan Smith. He helped meaningfully, although they are not still playing, but that was not the fault of the defense. We gave up the house for Chubb, we are not playing, and he sucked!

-Coulda had Burrow. Thanks Grier, Flores and Ross. Much appreciated that you guys didn’t have your ducks in line before hiring Flores. Could have had a first and a third left for next year too. Thanks for that one also, maybe an honorable mention for Beal. Coulda had Drew Brees, went for Duante Culpepper instead. Coulda had Matt Ryan, took Jake Long and Chad Henne instead. Coulda had Herbert (who at least played), took Tua. Heck coulda had Purdy, took Skylar. Not like the organization hasn’t had its chances. Unreal, we set a world record for different ways of screwing it all up. Ross has been here for all of it, and Grier most of it. I want a special counsel!!!

-Have already written my rant in my head for when we fail to land Vic Fangio as DC, and we end up with another first time coordinator with no experience which is a terrible fit for McDaniel. I guess we can thank Grier for this one too. Word is out McDaniel wanted Fangio and they had him last year, and Grier made him keep Boyer. What kind of GM hires a coach, and then makes staffing decisions for him?

-Brett Maher is a better kicker than Grier is a GM. And Maher is about as accurate as Rick Ankiel!!!!

-Why does our special teams coach still have a job?

No I am not trolling. Yes I am bitter. It has been 20 years without a playoff win. We are now right back where we were after all of that. Up against the cap, no draft picks, we might not have a QB (health and durability issues, and even though Tua does certain things well it really has to be really lined up around him because he is one dimensional), no OL that we can rely on, and a bunch of aging overpaid vets on big deals. Why does Grier still have a job?
What do you mean 20??? More like 28, but that's ok vent and get it out :UP:

I was going to post something similar about HC Zac Taylor and DC Lou Anaruma of the Bengals. Zac is Mike Sherman's son-in-law and was on the Miami staff with him under Philbin, as was Lou Anaruma. Zac and Lou stayed on under interim HC Campbell after Philbin was fired. Once these guys got out from under Philbin and his pathetic offensive philosophy and dislike of any old-school physical-type players, and got away from Miami, they came into their own. And, people complained about Mike Sherman's offense, but it was really Philbin calling the shots. Once during an interview after a loss, Sherman was asked why he went away from the running game when it was working, and he said that it was Philbin's decision. Plus, how many Free Agents come to Miami and underperform as compared with how they did on their previous team, or players that leave Miami and do better at their new team?

IOW, something is seriously wrong with the Dolphins, and much of it seems to have started when Ross took over the team. Under Ross, they refuse to hire experienced Head Coaches, and nearly every other coach on the staff is new to their job. The Front Office can't even build a decent o-line, and when they do get lucky and draft talent at other positions, the clueless coaching staff isn't able to make the most of it. This team occasionally shows flashes of being good, but there's never any consistency, and when they really need to make a play, they fail. The entire Miami Dolphins culture recently under Ross has been "look good, look bad, look great, choke". McDaniel was never a real OC and never called plays, but now he's the Head Coach calling the plays on offense, and he has no idea how to manage the game. Sometimes he looks like a genius, other times he looks like an idiot, and the team's performance reflects that.
C-U-R-S-E

Back
Top Bottom