Miscellaneous Thoughts on The Dolphins After Watching the Playoffs | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miscellaneous Thoughts on The Dolphins After Watching the Playoffs

You could say he botched the 2019 1st round too. While Wilkins is a top 6 DT, he is no Jeff Simmons. If he drafted Simmons, he would have not needed to draft Davis the following year. I bet if you ranked GMs, Grier would be somewhere in the bottom 1/3 of the league and he‘s been the Dolphins GM for 6 or 7 years with 1 playoff game in that time.

Thats like saying a Baseball player who bats under .500 is a washout.

GET REAL!!!

Christian Wilkins is not a "botched" 1st round pick. He can hold his own with Jeff Simmons. 94 has been excellent the last two years. You want to knock Grier, that's fine. Plenty of other things to do that. Just because they used one of their five 1st and 2nd round picks in 2020 on Davis doesn't mean they "botched" the Wilkins pick. You said yourself he's a top 6 DT! Your take is not a good one.
I was being generous with top 6, he is probably top10… Simmons is top 3 at his position. Simmons has been a 2x Pro bowler and 2x All Pro at his position, Wilkins is not.

Going into the draft Simmons played in the tougher conference (SEC) compared to (ACC) with Wilkins. Simmons had he not been injured coming into the draft would have been a top 10 pick. He was the BPA when the Dolphins drafted. He had to sit out his rookie year but the Dolphins were early in their rebuild mode, so at that point with all the holes on their roster, you take BPA, no?

There’s no denying Wilkins’s motor. He had almost 100 tackles but how many of them were 3,4 or 5 yard PAST the line of scrimmage?
When looking at both players and stats, scheme matters. The Dolphins have one of the highest blitz rates in the NFL, while the Titans have one of the lowest blitz rates. So it’s a little easier for Wilkins to compile tackle stats when he along with 4 or 5 other Dolphins are on the line engaged with opposing lineman than it is for a team like the Titans where, they are one of the least blitzing teams and Simmons is getting doubled. Also, the Dolphins blitz a lot because they have TROUBLE getting to the QB without blitzing. The Titans defense is one least blitzing teams in the NFL and they also are one of the defensive leaders in creating pressure and most of the time it’s from there base D.

It’s not a bad take on my part, I’m just being objective.

I was being generous with top 6, he is probably top10… Simmons is top 3 at his position. Simmons has been a 2x Pro bowler and 2x All Pro at his position, Wilkins is not.

Going into the draft Simmons played in the tougher conference (SEC) compared to (ACC) with Wilkins. Simmons had he not been injured coming into the draft would have been a top 10 pick. He was the BPA when the Dolphins drafted. He had to sit out his rookie year but the Dolphins were early in their rebuild mode, so at that point with all the holes on their roster, you take BPA, no?

There’s no denying Wilkins’s motor. He had almost 100 tackles but how many of them were 3,4 or 5 yard PAST the line of scrimmage?
When looking at both players and stats, scheme matters. The Dolphins have one of the highest blitz rates in the NFL, while the Titans have one of the lowest blitz rates. So it’s a little easier for Wilkins to compile tackle stats when he along with 4 or 5 other Dolphins are on the line engaged with opposing lineman than it is for a team like the Titans where, they are one of the least blitzing teams and Simmons is getting doubled. Also, the Dolphins blitz a lot because they have TROUBLE getting to the QB without blitzing. The Titans defense is one least blitzing teams in the NFL and they also are one of the defensive leaders in creating pressure and most of the time it’s from there base D.

There is a big difference between objective and objectionable.

My bet is you don't know what it is.

Thats like saying a Baseball player who bats under .500 is a washout.

GET REAL!!!
First off, didn’t say he was a washout. I said Grier botched it. Second, terrible analogy. 😂 Grier drafted 2 d lineman in back to back years when he could have draft the better d lineman, who is great at both stopping the run and getting to the Qb.

Titans have the best run D in the league from there base D (without blitzing) and are able to get more pressure on the Qb without blitzing then the majority of the other teams. You can hang your hat on Wilkins 96 or so tackles but a lot of those tackles were generated because of scheme (blitzing) and tackling a Rb way past the line of scrimmage. It will be curious to see moving forward with a new DC, if they go with Fangio and blitz a lot less, what Wilkins numbers will look like?

I commend you on your hindsight! For their respective careers Wilkins has 101 more tackles according to ESPN. You can feel free to name 6 better DT's than WIlkins, and I almost always stop reading when somebody say's "WE could have had so and so here instead of who we got" That damn Grier again. Closing the barn door after the horses are gone makes little sense.

Last edited:
You kind of inferred it…but I disagreed with paying 2 first round picks for Waddle.

It’s goes without saying that Grier has botched some high picks that have set this team back in its quest for a Super Bowl.

Yeah Grier has done good and bad, so it's tough.

It's clear Tua, when healthy is a top QB in the league. If he can stay healthy, great pick. Injuries will be the key.

Jackson- still willing to give him more time. He's what? 19 years old.

Iggy, clear bust.

Phillips- looks solid

Waddle great pick

Chubb? Well see. His value will be determined next year. Statistically he wasn't great. But team statistics improved quite a bit after his acquisition. But it comes down to this. Right now that pick is 29. Who in the draft would be a better option at 29 then Chubb? Again, next year is key. If he busts out with 12 plus sacks no one will care we traded a 1st.

Hill? Clearly worth it. Also, only 1 player in the draft would have made a positive impact to the offense like Hill. Maybe Linderbaum.

Javon Holland and Robert Hunt.

So looking at Grier the last 3 years. Assuming health.

He has acquired young core talent at
QB
WR
RG
DE
DT ( ONCE Wilkins is resigned)
CB ( KADER)
Safety

Tua, Phillips, Chubb, Holland, Waddle, Hill, kader, Hunt is a pretty good solid core moving forward.

Grier problem has been and appears to always be depth IMO

I commend you on your hindsight! For their respective careers Wilkins has 101 more tackles according to ESPN. You can feel free to name 6 better DT's than WIlkins, and I almost always stop reading when somebody say's "WE could have had so and so here instead of who we got" That damn Grier again. Closing the barn door after the horses are gone makes little sense.
I’ll give you 9

In no particular order

Aaron Donald Rams
Chris Jones Chiefs
Jeffrey Simmons Titans
Cam Heyward Steelers
Dexter Lawerence Giants
Deforest Buckner Colts
Johnathan Allen Commander
Quinnen Williams Jets
Kenny Clark Packers

Thank You Mr Hindsight!! You are such a breath of fresh air and so informative. Mods do your job here.
are you trying to censor me? un-american!!!!!! my god if this stuff gets into chatboards discussing football, we are truly doomed as a country. we all want the team to be successful, but wishing it will not make it happen. thoughts and prayers will not make it happen. competent execution will make it happen. starts with ownership and the gm. needs to be better. not my job to view things through rose colored glasses. i just look at results.

I’ll give you 9

In no particular order

Aaron Donald Rams
Chris Jones Chiefs
Jeffrey Simmons Titans
Cam Heyward Steelers
Dexter Lawerence Giants
Deforest Buckner Colts
Johnathan Allen Commander

Quinnen Williams Jets
Kenny Clark Packers
I don't agree that they are all better than WIlkins. Are all of them team leaders with stats? I already pointed out the esteemed Jeffery SImmonds (A good player) had 100 less tackles than #94 per ths ESPN bio's. Do double teams and sacks make the difference if your getting blown past by the run? Donald and Jones are not the dominate players that they were 2 years ago either.

are you trying to censor me? un-american!!!!!! my god if this stuff gets into chatboards discussing football, we are truly doomed as a country. we all want the team to be successful, but wishing it will not make it happen. thoughts and prayers will not make it happen. competent execution will make it happen. starts with ownership and the gm. needs to be better. not my job to view things through rose colored glasses. i just look at results.
You know my problem with your take, you now know the best moves that should have been made, pointing out the obvious and whining about Ross, and Grier, which is equally unproductive. That duo has brought us up from the high school team we were in 2019, not there yet but a lot better, to a contender. Hint, it's the negativity. Youv'e been on the site less than 2 months and all you do is bitch and moan about things that didn't happen, with suggestions of what we could have/should have done. Any fool can do that with 100% accuracy. Perhaps you would be better served by rooting for another team? I don't like censorship, but you seem out of place here. Almost like a troll. This one seems to give you nothing but angst. Fan since 1966, before you were a twinkle is daddy's eye.

Last edited:
First off, didn’t say he was a washout. I said Grier botched it. Second, terrible analogy. 😂 Grier drafted 2 d lineman in back to back years when he could have draft the better d lineman, who is great at both stopping the run and getting to the Qb.

Titans have the best run D in the league from there base D (without blitzing) and are able to get more pressure on the Qb without blitzing then the majority of the other teams. You can hang your hat on Wilkins 96 or so tackles but a lot of those tackles were generated because of scheme (blitzing) and tackling a Rb way past the line of scrimmage. It will be curious to see moving forward with a new DC, if they go with Fangio and blitz a lot less, what Wilkins numbers will look like?

You not only avoided the subject, but the entire issue.
I see you are focused on "end runs". - LOL

Yeah Grier has done good and bad, so it's tough.

It's clear Tua, when healthy is a top QB in the league. If he can stay healthy, great pick. Injuries will be the key.

Jackson- still willing to give him more time. He's what? 19 years old.

Iggy, clear bust.

Phillips- looks solid

Waddle great pick

Chubb? Well see. His value will be determined next year. Statistically he wasn't great. But team statistics improved quite a bit after his acquisition. But it comes down to this. Right now that pick is 29. Who in the draft would be a better option at 29 then Chubb? Again, next year is key. If he busts out with 12 plus sacks no one will care we traded a 1st.

Hill? Clearly worth it. Also, only 1 player in the draft would have made a positive impact to the offense like Hill. Maybe Linderbaum.

Javon Holland and Robert Hunt.

So looking at Grier the last 3 years. Assuming health.

He has acquired young core talent at
QB
WR
RG
DE
DT ( ONCE Wilkins is resigned)
CB ( KADER)
Safety

Tua, Phillips, Chubb, Holland, Waddle, Hill, kader, Hunt is a pretty good solid core moving forward.

Grier problem has been and appears to always be depth IMO
grier has assembled a team that cannot win a playoff game!

As for the rest of your rant, I'm too tired to pick out all the spots where you're wrong.

Back
Top Bottom