Miscellaneous Thoughts on The Dolphins After Watching the Playoffs | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miscellaneous Thoughts on The Dolphins After Watching the Playoffs

I forgot about Jesse Davis :lol:.
How do we know he didn't try to trade for someone? You have to have a willing partner and the trade capital has to be reasonable. Look at what we received when we traded Tunsil, we robbed Houston, the offer was too good to pass up. We weren't shopping him but someone presented an offer we couldn't refuse. We would have had to offer up a similar deal to pry someone from another team and we weren't willing to do that I guess. The problem is if we were calling around the other teams knew our situation and I'm sure were trying to bend us over a barrel, especially knowing the draft capital we had stockpiled. We just don't know what we don't know, we only see the end result, not how we arrived at it...
the end result is was matters. that is how you evaluate the gm

-Who has been on the other side of a fair bit of Miami’s big trades over the last few years? Philadelphia and San Fran! Do you think Howie Roseman can’t wait to pick up the phone when anyone from the Dolphins organization calls? Yes one can argue the Jaylen Waddle thing worked out, but did it? DeVonta Smith is still playing and is also very good (and not dropping balls in a playoff game), and we still haven't won a playoff game (finished 9-9 this year) and Philadelphia is still playing, as is San Fran. Need to look at the whole mosaic. One of those teams will be in the SB, we are playing golf. Clearly those teams are doing something with their draft capital that we are not doing.

-Who would have thought Jalen Hurts would be the best of all of the Alabama QBs? Remind me did Philadelphia need to tank and draft him 5th, or did they get him with the 53rd pick in the 2nd round without tanking and then tampering because they didn't like their QB and then lose draft picks?

-Didn’t notice Shanahan and Purdy having a tough time getting the calls in on time and the plays off. In fact I didn’t notice it during the Dolphins/49ers game when Purdy and Shanahan had zero prep. Has it happened once in any of Purdy’s starts? I also noticed the 49ers run the ball a lot, and win dirty! Didn’t see the Madden joystick in Shanahan’s hands once. Yes, I am optimistic about McDaniel, but nerd boy has alot to learn and better do some serious self scouting before next year.

-Niners trade for McCaffrey. He helped meaningfully and they are still playing. Baltimore traded for Roquan Smith. He helped meaningfully, although they are not still playing, but that was not the fault of the defense. We gave up the house for Chubb, we are not playing, and he sucked!

-Coulda had Burrow. Thanks Grier, Flores and Ross. Much appreciated that you guys didn’t have your ducks in line before hiring Flores. Could have had a first and a third left for next year too. Thanks for that one also, maybe an honorable mention for Beal. Coulda had Drew Brees, went for Duante Culpepper instead. Coulda had Matt Ryan, took Jake Long and Chad Henne instead. Coulda had Herbert (who at least played), took Tua. Heck coulda had Purdy, took Skylar. Not like the organization hasn’t had its chances. Unreal, we set a world record for different ways of screwing it all up. Ross has been here for all of it, and Grier most of it. I want a special counsel!!!

-Have already written my rant in my head for when we fail to land Vic Fangio as DC, and we end up with another first time coordinator with no experience which is a terrible fit for McDaniel. I guess we can thank Grier for this one too. Word is out McDaniel wanted Fangio and they had him last year, and Grier made him keep Boyer. What kind of GM hires a coach, and then makes staffing decisions for him?

-Brett Maher is a better kicker than Grier is a GM. And Maher is about as accurate as Rick Ankiel!!!!

-Why does our special teams coach still have a job?

No I am not trolling. Yes I am bitter. It has been 20 years without a playoff win. We are now right back where we were after all of that. Up against the cap, no draft picks, we might not have a QB (health and durability issues, and even though Tua does certain things well it really has to be really lined up around him because he is one dimensional), no OL that we can rely on, and a bunch of aging overpaid vets on big deals. Why does Grier still have a job?
This coulda, woulda, shoulda bullsh1t can be said for most teams in the league…

-Who has been on the other side of a fair bit of Miami’s big trades over the last few years? Philadelphia and San Fran! Do you think Howie Roseman can’t wait to pick up the phone when anyone from the Dolphins organization calls? Yes one can argue the Jaylen Waddle thing worked out, but did it? DeVonta Smith is still playing and is also very good (and not dropping balls in a playoff game), and we still haven't won a playoff game (finished 9-9 this year) and Philadelphia is still playing, as is San Fran. Need to look at the whole mosaic. One of those teams will be in the SB, we are playing golf. Clearly those teams are doing something with their draft capital that we are not doing.

-Who would have thought Jalen Hurts would be the best of all of the Alabama QBs? Remind me did Philadelphia need to tank and draft him 5th, or did they get him with the 53rd pick in the 2nd round without tanking and then tampering because they didn't like their QB and then lose draft picks?

-Didn’t notice Shanahan and Purdy having a tough time getting the calls in on time and the plays off. In fact I didn’t notice it during the Dolphins/49ers game when Purdy and Shanahan had zero prep. Has it happened once in any of Purdy’s starts? I also noticed the 49ers run the ball a lot, and win dirty! Didn’t see the Madden joystick in Shanahan’s hands once. Yes, I am optimistic about McDaniel, but nerd boy has alot to learn and better do some serious self scouting before next year.

-Niners trade for McCaffrey. He helped meaningfully and they are still playing. Baltimore traded for Roquan Smith. He helped meaningfully, although they are not still playing, but that was not the fault of the defense. We gave up the house for Chubb, we are not playing, and he sucked!

-Coulda had Burrow. Thanks Grier, Flores and Ross. Much appreciated that you guys didn’t have your ducks in line before hiring Flores. Could have had a first and a third left for next year too. Thanks for that one also, maybe an honorable mention for Beal. Coulda had Drew Brees, went for Duante Culpepper instead. Coulda had Matt Ryan, took Jake Long and Chad Henne instead. Coulda had Herbert (who at least played), took Tua. Heck coulda had Purdy, took Skylar. Not like the organization hasn’t had its chances. Unreal, we set a world record for different ways of screwing it all up. Ross has been here for all of it, and Grier most of it. I want a special counsel!!!

-Have already written my rant in my head for when we fail to land Vic Fangio as DC, and we end up with another first time coordinator with no experience which is a terrible fit for McDaniel. I guess we can thank Grier for this one too. Word is out McDaniel wanted Fangio and they had him last year, and Grier made him keep Boyer. What kind of GM hires a coach, and then makes staffing decisions for him?

-Brett Maher is a better kicker than Grier is a GM. And Maher is about as accurate as Rick Ankiel!!!!

No I am not trolling. Yes I am bitter. It has been 20 years without a playoff win. We are now right back where we were after all of that. Up against the cap, no draft picks, we might not have a QB (health and durability issues, and even though Tua does certain things well it really has to be really lined up around him because he is one dimensional), no OL that we can rely on, and a bunch of aging overpaid vets on big deals. Why does Grier still have a job?

OK, now write about what the team did well, if you can, without adding any "but's". - LOL

What are the chances of the poster responding with Miami's positives? - LOL

A lot of them do play into their 30's, I didn't single out Armstead as an example of one even though he is. He's had an injury-riddled career, no debating that, but when he plays, he's one of the tops in the league. You have to remember when we signed him we had no left tackle and there weren't many on the market, certainly none close to having his elite ability. I mean we coulda always stuck with Jackson or Eichenberg.

They don't hit free agency very often because the dominant ones are so few and far between. I'll take Armstead for 13 games over the alternative for 17 all day long. There is no argument we're a much better line when he's in there.
What would you have done given the circumstances if you were Grier? And him drafting better isn't an acceptable answer, it was irrelevant at the time, we're talking about where we were when he made the decision. Hindsight doesn't apply here.

Here are the top available FA tackles in 2022. There's only 1 elite one on the list. Slim pickings here...
  1. Terron Armstead, Age: 30.
  2. Orlando Brown Jr. Age: 25. Franchised by the Chiefs, never hit FA.
  3. Duane Brown Age: 37. This is a bit too old
  4. Eric Fisher Age: 31. Let go by the Colts because he wasn't good
  5. Trent Brown Age: 29 Injured, missed 24 games the previous 3 seasons. Resigned by the Pats
We were in a bad spot and had to do something, we went out and got the best FA in the class. The Saints only let him go because they couldn't afford to keep him, they wanted him to stay but the numbers weren't close.
Stop confronting us with reality! It dampens our life of Madden and living in Bitchdom! How dare you! :chuckle:

The tank plan went to hell when we signed ryan fitzpatrick. Burrow is amazing. Glad we have tua but Burrow is the best from that class and fitz prevented us from getting him. Miami realized that too since they offered all three of their first rounders for the top pick but bengals said no. Thank god. We got to get austin jackson and Iggy.
Media always seems to forget that Bengals tanked for Burrow. Same goes for Colts when they got Luck. Once they get these QBs its all forgotten. If Miami did it the team would probably lose a few draft picks, get a huge fine and be made to play home games in the sun side of the stadium with the way it goes for our team.

You kind of inferred it…but I disagreed with paying 2 first round picks for Waddle.

It’s goes without saying that Grier has botched some high picks that have set this team back in its quest for a Super Bowl.

We have players from other countries doing the waddle. Dudes the best receiver from that draft. Who were we getting at 12?
Davonta Smith for 1 first rounder versus 2….

Also…it has to be remembered that Grier took Austin Jackson Over Justin Jefferson in 2020….how would you rate Jefferson compared to Waddle?

I get the OP’s big picture look at the work Grier’s done overall to build a contender versus these franchises.

Watching the Bengals confirmed my belief that I want bigger RB’s. I don’t care about home run speed. That’s not playoff football.

Observations: te Dolphins sucked again this year when it counted the most!!!
We were Bozo almost winners for like the thirtieth year in a row??
Start the clown music…..NOW!!!

Back
Top Bottom