Missed Opportunity Amidst Optimism With Dolphins' Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Missed Opportunity Amidst Optimism With Dolphins' Draft

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
usatsi_9719234.jpg

Grier is trying his darnedest to emulate the same strategy the Patriots deploy annually — making trades and enjoying a bevy of selections.

Still, one specific missed opportunity looms over the Dolphins.

In a class where there were quality defensive backs aplenty, Miami took zero. This was particularly surprising given the amount the Dolphins will presumably play a DB-heavy defensive scheme; one where nickel (five DBs) is really the base defense, with dime and quarter defense liberally sprinkled in.

With the prevalence of these formations likely coming to town with Brian Flores and Brandon Graham, the team needs quality depth in the secondary.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/02/missed-opportunity-amidst-optimism-with-dolphins-draft/

I think that is the true price of the Rosen trade, not that I think we made the wrong decision.

A lot of ppl wanted the center with our 3rd, but it would have been a good spot for a CB, as well.

We didn't have a 4th, and, really anyone taken after rd3 is flawed in some way.

usatsi_9719234.jpg

Grier is trying his darnedest to emulate the same strategy the Patriots deploy annually — making trades and enjoying a bevy of selections.

Still, one specific missed opportunity looms over the Dolphins.

In a class where there were quality defensive backs aplenty, Miami took zero. This was particularly surprising given the amount the Dolphins will presumably play a DB-heavy defensive scheme; one where nickel (five DBs) is really the base defense, with dime and quarter defense liberally sprinkled in.

With the prevalence of these formations likely coming to town with Brian Flores and Brandon Graham, the team needs quality depth in the secondary.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/02/missed-opportunity-amidst-optimism-with-dolphins-draft/

First, I had my top 3 needs as OL, DE, CB. I didn't get the DE or CB. That said, I'm not unhappy with the draft. Wilkins was the best DLman on the board, getting Rosen and a '20 2nd for this year's 2nd was a good decision, and one of the top OGs in the 3rd made this a good draft. Certainly, no one knows how good/bad these players will be, but I have no complaints with the strategy.

As for CB, based on no evidence, I suspect CBs were on Miami's board, but not high enough to pass Wilkins, Rosen, or Deiter. I agree, Miami still needs a one quality CB at a minimum. I'm hoping fans are rewarded in the next couple of weeks.

I still don't think they are done signing free agents that are currently available or those that will be cut in training camp. The roster is far from final right now.

Everyone is assuming they know exactly what the schemes will be for the team this season and I don't recall seeing anything from the coaching staff about what packages they want to trot out there. In my estimation, it will be a gradual implementation of the various schemes over the next couple of seasons as they get the personnel in place.

Trust the process.

Everybody before the draft...you always take bpa, everyone after the draft....we should have taken a de, qb, cb...blah blah. We took the bpa and articles like this are trash clickbait.
EXACTLY! It happens every year! Everyone recites the matra "you obviously always draft BPA and only BPA." It's like they've been brainwashed. Then every year they talk about what we "need." Then every pick is the wrong pick, when in actuality they wanted us to pick for needs based on their evaluation of need. It definitely gets frustrating.

Personally, players have talent levels, and you don't want to drop down too far on talent level to draft for need. But ultimately, you're not playing omni-slot fantasy football, it's not all about talent levels. Teams need guys who fit their systems, not just guys with talent. Teams need players at certain positions, and if you can maneuver around the draft board trading into spots where filling those needs makes sense for value, that's ideal. But at the end of the day, you're building a team, not just a talent agency. That requires filling certain roles, and that means adding talent that fits the need, whether by trading up/down in the draft, drafting someone who is slightly below the talent level available, or signing a FA who has that skillset.

Those people saying "BPA all day" usually change their tune at some point. Ignoring need is just plain foolish … and counter-productive to building a team.

Talent will shake lose in the next 3 months - trades will come available - salary cap casualties - dramas between players and there respective front offices - expect Miami to do be busier then many out there as Tannenbaum and Gase left the Dolphins house looking worse then a hotel room after Keith Moon got to it with maximum partying and debauchery!!

Well Dieter was not A BPA pick

We attempted to make up for not drafting a DB by bringing in 4 in UDFA. If we would have taken one of those exact guys in the 7th round they would not have published this article.

We have 11 CB's in the room right now - Xavien Howard, Eric Rowe, Bobby McCain, Cordea Tankersley, Jalen Davis, Torry McTyer, Cornell Armstrong, Jomal Wiltz, Tyler Horton, Nik Needham, Montre Hartage

You certainly can't say we are not trying to find a diamond in the rough. Stupid click-bait

Back
Top Bottom