Missed out on LBs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Missed out on LBs

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
http://www.miamidolphins.com/pressbox/pressreleases/pressreleases.asp?contentID=1971

SR. VICE PRESIDENT – FOOTBALL OPERATIONS/PLAYER PERSONNEL RICK SPIELMAN

“I want to give you a run-down of what happened today in the draft and some of the things we tried to do. In the fourth round, Cleveland took both of the linebackers that we had targeted. They had Ben Taylor off and they had (Kevin) Bentley off. We also were looking at the kid that went to the Giants, (Nick) Greisen. What happened in the fifth round, we started calling Houston at their top pick in the fifth round and worked down 18 teams, trying to get up. There were two linebackers we had targeted and we were trying to move up in the fifth to get one of those two. We got shut out all the way down to Houston’s next pick, where we had an agreement. The only firepower we had as far as a trade was our fourth rounder next year. So we were willing to give our fourth rounder next year to one of these teams that were between Houston and the second Houston pick and no team was willing to do that. So Kevin McCadem, the kid from Virginia Tech that was a strong safety was one of the guys we had targeted as a Will linebacker. He had very good workouts and ran 4.48 at about 215 pounds. Atlanta took him. As it continued, we targeted Nick Greisen, who was in one of our Top-20 visits, and actually had Nick on the phone and the Giants had him on the phone as well. The Giants chose him. They had the pick right before Houston and took Greisen, or we would have pulled the trade off with Houston with the second pick in the fifth round for our fourth next year. Then after that, we just kind of sat back and let the board fall to us and looked at some guys that came to us. We took what we needed, as far as some positions, like Coach (Wannstedt) said, but also the best players we felt were available as well.ââ‚Â

Glad it didn't work out. Kinda sick of them giving up future higher picks for the present. If they stopped doing that they would have the firepower to move up with picks in the same draft.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Glad it didn't work out. Kinda sick of them giving up future higher picks for the present. If they stopped doing that they would have the firepower to move up with picks in the same draft.
if they stopped doing that we would not have Greenwood, Surtain, Ricky and probably a couple of other, but taking a break is OK ;)

Originally posted by dolphan39
if they stopped doing that we would not have Greenwood, Surtain, Ricky and probably a couple of other, but taking a break is OK ;)

Jury is still out on Greenwood. Surtain wasn't Wanny/Spielman's doing. Ricky wasn't technically a draft for draft trade.

I know one thing: I'm glad we moved up to choose Chris Chambers last year.

We will always have holes, or at least we will always be able to find one. If it is not a starter it is depth (LB and DE). By trading away a future pick, we are just creating more holes for the future.

Ok, so you're going to say it was a bad idea moving up last year to get Chambers? It was a bad idea giving up a first-round pick to take Surtain a few years ago?

No, not always. Those two guys really pulled through for us. But not every second round pick has done that like those two have. Those are second rounders, and we were looking at a fourth rounder yesterday. It would have been nice to have more than one pick on the first day of the draft, though. It is hard to know how a player is going to adapt to the NFL. A fourth for a fifth is a bad deal.

It isn't a bad deal when you have a guy in the fifth who you think should have went in the third or fourth.

Almost all of the draft-day move-ups we have made recently have proven to be good moves.

I agree we should give up picks for that year, but we need to conserve our picks and spread them out even. We want to always have a corps of young talented players on our team. Instead of trading up, I feel we should trade down and get the gems with multiple picks. Plus there were plenty of people on the board in the fifth that should have been third round picks.

Oh, you would prefer we move down all of a sudden? And I bet you loved it when JJ moved down in the first in 1998, missing out on the likes of Vonnie Holiday and Randy Moss, right?

Name me one bad trade-up we've made recently.

No I'd prefer we kept our damn picks so we could use picks from the SAME draft to move up with instead of giving up even more by trading picks higher then the pick we are looking for. A 4th rounder would have been enough to have switched high enough in the 3rd to pick Morlon last year. However since we didn't have the ammo we had to give up a 2nd the following year. The point is to keep our own picks instead of giving away future HIGHER picks then the pick we are getting in return.

As for your 'one bad trade up'. Morlon Greenwood unless Morlon turns into a much better player then he was last year. Because if Morlon isn't a starter a few years from now then it was a wasted pick.

OK... last years trade. Are you telling me tehre wasnt a player in the draft at our pick (59 i think it would have been) that you would rather have than morlon greenwood?

I would take Greenwood anyday over the 59th pick in the draft. There were no good OLBs around anyway.

If we were lookin to draft a LB that would be expected to start this year, we would have been out of luck, and in a big way. Greenwood would have been one of the best LBs in this class, so to have him now with a year undewr his belt is a huge advantage and a really good looking deal at this point.

Back
Top Bottom