Moats of LA Tech | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Moats of LA Tech

MelbournePhin

Active Roster
Reaction score
was watching ESPN last night. He is supposedly the 5th best RB prospect according to mel. Does anybody know more about this guy? If we were to trade down in rd 1, would he be worth a late 1st rounder?

Not worth a late 1st rounder, maybe a mid 2nd rounder though. Is a little undersized but I watched 2 highlight videos of him and he hardly ever gets run down from behind and has great cutting ability.

I was extremely impressed with Moats vs. the Canes last year

I attended the game and frankly thought we would stuff him. But in the first half he probably put up 100 yards or close, one impressive run after another. Excellent vision and instincts and toughness and moxie. It would be 3rd and 10 and La Tech would hand to Moats and he'd improvise a first down. Everyone in the stands around me was amazed.

But he's still a change of pace back in the NFL. I don't like to pay a high pick for someone who can't go fulltime. Marion Barber and T.A. McClendon have a chance to be special backs, IMO. I prefer either of them to Moats, although McClendon may be drafted lower.

Awsi Dooger said:
I attended the game and frankly thought we would stuff him. But in the first half he probably put up 100 yards or close, one impressive run after another. Excellent vision and instincts and toughness and moxie. It would be 3rd and 10 and La Tech would hand to Moats and he'd improvise a first down. Everyone in the stands around me was amazed.

But he's still a change of pace back in the NFL. I don't like to pay a high pick for someone who can't go fulltime. Marion Barber and T.A. McClendon have a chance to be special backs, IMO. I prefer either of them to Moats, although McClendon may be drafted lower.
McClendon is too slow and not elusive. He'll be a short yardage back in the NFL

I watched Moats vs the Canes defense.

After that I watched him a couple of more times, the commentors mentioned Moats had he best moves sice Barry Sanders. I believe 'em. This kids has got some cut-on-a-dime moves.

If Saban does indeed spread the field via a triple WR base. A scat back like Moats or even Sporles could run for some serious yardage.

Have watched Saban LSU teams, I just don't think the Phins are going a base triple WR offense.

Moats is rising in the draft because Morency and Fason failed to establish themselves in their workouts.

Right now, the first five backs off the board will probably be the big three, JJ Arrington, and Ryan Moats. Kay Jay Harris may have passed Fason and Morency on many boards.

The interesting thing is that Miami has shown a great deal of interest in both Fason and Morency, and it is looking very likely that one or both may drop to their pick in the third round. This could add fuel to the fire of drafting Alex Smith in the first round.

KB21 said:
Moats is rising in the draft because Morency and Fason failed to establish themselves in their workouts.

Right now, the first five backs off the board will probably be the big three, JJ Arrington, and Ryan Moats. Kay Jay Harris may have passed Fason and Morency on many boards.

The interesting thing is that Miami has shown a great deal of interest in both Fason and Morency, and it is looking very likely that one or both may drop to their pick in the third round. This could add fuel to the fire of drafting Alex Smith in the first round.

You are correct KB. Fason has consistency lost some stock and because of his insane 4.3 Arrington is on more radars now. Im hopeful Sban takes a QB KB but im not quite sure Smith will be there at #2, im hearing more and more that the Niners want him instead of Rodgers(rumours). Cheers! Ohh yea and BTW i think Moats is a diamond in the rough and would love to have him also.

MelbournePhin said:
was watching ESPN last night. He is supposedly the 5th best RB prospect according to mel. Does anybody know more about this guy? If we were to trade down in rd 1, would he be worth a late 1st rounder?
never saw him play, i dont know

How about taking Brayon Edwards with 1st pick then picking up either Fason or Morency with our 3rd pick. I think I could live with that.

I saw him play in Knoxville, early in the season. Outside of the Auburn boys, he was the most impressive backs I saw all year long.

Moats is as elusive as they come. I think he could be an every down back but like Barry youd have to take the 2 yards loss every now and then for thoose 60 yards scampers.

Moats has serious fumbling problems. He's also small and whilst stronger than JJ Arrington, he coughs the ball up way too much for my liking.

I agree that Fason and Morency have slipped to the top of 3. I would think that Fason would be better suited when mixed with what we have and how much better he could become.

And no matter what Mike Nolan says, the 49ers have Alex Smith higher rated.

I would suggest the top 8 might go a little like this with no trades:
1 - 49ers - Alex Smith
2 - Miami - Braylon Edwards
3 - Cleveland - Aaron Rodgers
4 - Chicago - Ronnie Brown
5 - Tampa - Carnell Williams
6 - Tennessee - Antrel Rolle
7 - Minnesota - Mike Williams
8 - Arizona - Cedric Benson.

Tampa could well deal Chris Simms to Cleveland on draft day and if the 9ers DON'T take Smith, look for Tampa to take a VERY STRONG interest at 5.

Boomer said:
Moats has serious fumbling problems. He's also small and whilst stronger than JJ Arrington, he coughs the ball up way too much for my liking.

I agree that Fason and Morency have slipped to the top of 3. I would think that Fason would be better suited when mixed with what we have and how much better he could become.

And no matter what Mike Nolan says, the 49ers have Alex Smith higher rated.

I would suggest the top 8 might go a little like this with no trades:
1 - 49ers - Alex Smith
2 - Miami - Braylon Edwards
3 - Cleveland - Aaron Rodgers
4 - Chicago - Ronnie Brown
5 - Tampa - Carnell Williams
6 - Tennessee - Antrel Rolle
7 - Minnesota - Mike Williams
8 - Arizona - Cedric Benson.

Tampa could well deal Chris Simms to Cleveland on draft day and if the 9ers DON'T take Smith, look for Tampa to take a VERY STRONG interest at 5.

boomer i think rolle wont go to tenn. tenn would want mike williams they have no wideouts bennett and calico are good but mike is like a terrell owens

Back
Top Bottom