Mobile QB's: A cause for CONCERN? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mobile QB's: A cause for CONCERN?

ANUFan

Club Member
Reaction score
As many of you know our 1st couple of games features a slew of Mobile QB's(Tyroid, Mariota, Bortles etc). Historically, it seems and I haven't done the research, that from the eye-ball test we've typically struggle with those types of QB's.

I have no doubt that our defense, at least the front 4, has improved and how they've improved is what concerns me. We now have the ability to collapse the interior of an O-line, where immobile-like QBs thrive and are going to be in trouble. But, IMO, we more often than not expose our edges where mobile QBs tend to thrive.

Typically I would guess if you have great DE's that play the edge well, containment and all then you minimize exploitation. However, I personally rate OV a little better at this than Wake and rate them both as slight below to average when it comes to setting the edge. Particularly when they are in full Pass Rush, collapse the pocket mode.

The BIGGEST problem I think is with our LBs. Can they be discipline and smart enough to know where the natural "GAPS" created by our DLINE will be and fill them?

Thoughts?

Only concern is Taylor, none of the other guys can do crap vs our Dline. Taylor has a very solid Oline so that may be a concern, plus Mccoy so our Dline has to be very careful with him.

with mobile qbs you need lbs with instincts that can sniff things out...the threat of the qb run is always there...miami doesnt have much instincts at lb so yeah it's always a concern

with mobile qbs you need lbs with instincts that can sniff things out...the threat of the qb run is always there...miami doesnt have much instincts at lb so yeah it's always a concern

Yep! Pretty much what I figured and a source for exploitation. Not to mention the pass coverage stuff you've been preaching from the beginning. Man I really don't want to see R.Jones in the box too much this season. Considering the #2 and Akien in the back field...scary!

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Only concern is Taylor, none of the other guys can do crap vs our Dline. Taylor has a very solid Oline so that may be a concern, plus Mccoy so our Dline has to be very careful with him.

Really? You don't think Mariota and Bortles can create problems with their legs against us?

you are going to see plenty of reshad in the box...in the nickle with the 3rd corner on the field miami will have 2 lbs on the field probably misi and jenkins...jones will serve as the walk up box safety to help with the run to keep us out of base unless teams go with 2 tight ends and 2 wrs etc

jenkins and reshad are pretty much critical to miami this year on d...60 percent or more nickle

you are going to see plenty of reshad in the box...in the nickle with the 3rd corner on the field miami will have 2 lbs on the field probably misi and jenkins...jones will serve as the walk up box safety to help with the run to keep us out of base unless teams go with 2 tight ends and 2 wrs etc

jenkins and reshad are pretty much critical to miami this year on d...60 percent or more nickle

Damn, If the D-line doesn't get there for some strange reason it might mean night-night! Especially, when you have guys in Washington like D-Jac and Pierre that can stretch the field. Honestly, I'm not even that comfortable with Grimes lining up against D.Jac. So you know i really don't like the thought of the #2 CB against him.

With our pass rush we'll see a lot of moving pockets this year regardless of QB, but mobile ones always pose a threat.

I have not been impressed with the speed or instincts of our LB's, so this will be a problem. However, when you get good push in the middle, this mitigates the issue someone; compared to teams with only push on the outside where it leaves large gaps between defenders. Hopefully, with consistent push...we should get more sacks and less scrambles. Won't help much on roll-outs though...

Mr. Jones is gonna eat them fancy pant QBs alive!

True story!

BNF.

Won't help much on roll-outs though...

Depends. I could see most of the moving pockets to the weakside of the opposing offeneses' formations, away from Wake, Suh, and Grimes, with their TE on a chip block and coming across on the delay, RB in the flat or Slot on a crosser where both Jenkins and Jones are in pursuit & sure tacklers. Depends.

Depends. I could see most of the moving pockets to the weakside of the opposing offeneses' formations, away from Wake, Suh, and Grimes, with their TE on a chip block and coming across on the delay, RB in the flat or Slot on a crosser where both Jenkins and Jones are in pursuit & sure tacklers. Depends.

Exactly! You better believe teams are going to game plan for our Dline..all out Pass Rush Mentality. We need to be-careful here and emphasize some level of gap/lane responisbility up front. BTW, something Mr.Mitchell had problems with I believe throughout his career.

SoS, How will do you think Bubble screens, Reverses etc would work against us?

Exactly! You better believe teams are going to game plan for our Dline..all out Pass Rush Mentality. We need to be-careful here and emphasize some level of gap/lane responisbility up front. BTW, something Mr.Mitchell had problems with I believe throughout his career.

SoS, How will do you think Bubble screens, Reverses etc would work against us?

Can I just resort to my previous post: Depends :chuckle:

In all seriousness if Coyle stays true to what he has expressed this offseason in keeping things simple, then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Those types of constraint plays only work when a defense cheats and strays from it's base disciplines. EX: Safety is creeping up to defend the run and the offense executes a play action pass. Or the same scenario with the LB's and the offense goes to a bubble screen.

And even though the LB corp isn't a strength, I don't see too much of a problem here considering the very good DL we are boasting. What I see more likely happening, and as you somewhat mentioned, are middle screens to either the TE's or RB's to take advantage of our strong pass rush if we're are simply teeing off on every play and collapsing into the backfield. But again, it depends on if we stay disciplined and I think our strengths up front should negate some of the effectiveness of constraint plays.

Back
Top Bottom