Mock 2.0 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mock 2.0

NoblePhin

Starter
Club Member
Reaction score
1. Taven Bryan- attacking, relentless DT who fits in with our attacking front 4. I switched from Vea in this mock based on Gase's comments on how we want to use our front this year; the theme seems to be constantly rotating players in to keep the pressure high. With 3 Dts and Hayes on 3rds, Bryan can play inside or outside with a lot of upside and versatility.

2. Carlton Davis- another corner in the mix, can play boundary or nickel, aggressive and known for playing best in man coverage.

3. Nick Chubb- if he lasts this long, perfect pick to let Gore mentor along with Drake. The future of Drake and Chubb as the 1-2 is solid as you can get.

4. Durhyme Smith- Not a seam threat TE, but great size, great blocker, good receiver but not amazing,can split out wide and still not give the play away. We're going more spread this year and already have a plethora of weapons, we just need a solid TE pickup to round it all out.

4. Jordan Whitehead- Big hitter, tenacious, needs to work on coverage but I don't think he'll take long to be a good FS option.

6. Micah Kiser- developmental LB that could play Sam or be a mlb option. I like his size/strength and his ability to play the run.

7. Kicker

Really like it. As much as I like Davis, I'd go for a linebacker there maybe Jefferson. Might be able to trade down and still get Bryan in round 1.

Chubb in the 3rd is the only descent pick in this mock.

I like Durham Smythe. The more film i watch, the more comfortable i become with him as a player. He would definitely be on my Day 3 board if he's there.

He does not test extremely well, but he wasn't awful compared to others people are so excited about. He had one of the slower 40's (4.81) and his broad was the lowest at the Combine....that is clear. But while his vert (31) was not great, it's the same as Andrews and only 0.5 less than Hurst. His 3-cone and shuttles (20 and 60) were all better than Andrews and Hurst (his shuttle was 3rd fastest at Combine). Taking it a step further, Zach Ertz (who i absolutely loved coming out) is one of the best TEs in the NFL and had very similar testing numbers.

Player----40 Time--Vert----Broad---3Cone----20Shuttle---60Shuttle
Ertz---------4.76------30.5-----111------7.08--------4.47----------11.92
Smythe----4.81------31.0-----110------7.17--------4.23----------11.86

On Day 3, you are looking for 1 of 2 things.....lightning in a bottle or guys who can make the roster and contribute. Smythe can make this roster at TE and help us Day 1. He's a great blocker with good hands and enough speed to contribute in the pass game.

Gase's comments about the D-line make me think he won't even look at DT in the 1st. If they want to use inexpensive rotational players, they won't invest a high pick in that position

If we cut Suh just to draft another dt in round one people may riot
I'm sorry, could you explain? Just the savings in the cap hit seems justifiable:blackeye

I'm sorry, could you explain? Just the savings in the cap hit seems justifiable:blackeye

The cap hit is besides the point, though it’s still pretty bad. My opinion is you don’t cut a good player just to draft his replacement. That is especially true when linebackers, free safety, tight end, guard, and future qb are higher priorities right now.

I would slightly understand the outrage for picking a DT early due to the cap hit but we need another staryer there. We're kind of in a win now mode on defense because most of our star players are up there in age. I dont think we have 3 years to develop another player there, we would need an impact player right away. Vea/Payne/Bryan would be that

I hate the first two picks in this draft. Corner isn't a big need and cutting one player just to draft his replacement high isn't a smart move.

If the defense didn't feel the impact of one of the best DTs of the last decade, why the hell would you cut that player just to draft another in round 1?

You take the BPA with the 11 pick regardless if position or trade back for more picks.

It's not. You still have dead money tied up in the position and now instead of using the 11th overall pick to address a hole we already had going into the season, we're using it to fix one newly created, and we still end up with a downgrade at the position overall. It's certainly a T-bum move, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Yes about the dead money, but by making the move now aren't we taking our medicine today instead of tomorrow? I'm not an Expert by any means of the salary cap and I'm only going by what I read here, but I understand his numbers were astronomical at the backend. as I understood we pay less by cutting him now that if we waited till next year. I never saw the player that played in Detroit. I'll be honest, my number one concern signing him at the time was him becoming complacent. I think will do just fine without him.

Back
Top Bottom