Mock 2.0

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by NoblePhin, Apr 6, 2018.

1. NoblePhin

NoblePhin Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

1. Taven Bryan- attacking, relentless DT who fits in with our attacking front 4. I switched from Vea in this mock based on Gase's comments on how we want to use our front this year; the theme seems to be constantly rotating players in to keep the pressure high. With 3 Dts and Hayes on 3rds, Bryan can play inside or outside with a lot of upside and versatility.

2. Carlton Davis- another corner in the mix, can play boundary or nickel, aggressive and known for playing best in man coverage.

3. Nick Chubb- if he lasts this long, perfect pick to let Gore mentor along with Drake. The future of Drake and Chubb as the 1-2 is solid as you can get.

4. Durhyme Smith- Not a seam threat TE, but great size, great blocker, good receiver but not amazing,can split out wide and still not give the play away. We're going more spread this year and already have a plethora of weapons, we just need a solid TE pickup to round it all out.

4. Jordan Whitehead- Big hitter, tenacious, needs to work on coverage but I don't think he'll take long to be a good FS option.

6. Micah Kiser- developmental LB that could play Sam or be a mlb option. I like his size/strength and his ability to play the run.

7. Kicker

SF Dolphin Fan and dolfan91 like this.
  2. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Really like it. As much as I like Davis, I'd go for a linebacker there maybe Jefferson. Might be able to trade down and still get Bryan in round 1.

3. SCOTTY

SCOTTY A True Fan

Chubb in the 3rd is the only descent pick in this mock.

4. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

If we cut Suh just to draft another dt in round one people may riot

SCOTTY likes this.
  5. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

There is no way Micah Kiser lasts until the 6th rd.

j-off-her-doll likes this.
  6. PSU Cane

PSU Cane Starter

I like Durham Smythe. The more film i watch, the more comfortable i become with him as a player. He would definitely be on my Day 3 board if he's there.

He does not test extremely well, but he wasn't awful compared to others people are so excited about. He had one of the slower 40's (4.81) and his broad was the lowest at the Combine....that is clear. But while his vert (31) was not great, it's the same as Andrews and only 0.5 less than Hurst. His 3-cone and shuttles (20 and 60) were all better than Andrews and Hurst (his shuttle was 3rd fastest at Combine). Taking it a step further, Zach Ertz (who i absolutely loved coming out) is one of the best TEs in the NFL and had very similar testing numbers.

Player----40 Time--Vert----Broad---3Cone----20Shuttle---60Shuttle
    Ertz---------4.76------30.5-----111------7.08--------4.47----------11.92
    Smythe----4.81------31.0-----110------7.17--------4.23----------11.86

On Day 3, you are looking for 1 of 2 things.....lightning in a bottle or guys who can make the roster and contribute. Smythe can make this roster at TE and help us Day 1. He's a great blocker with good hands and enough speed to contribute in the pass game.

NoblePhin and fininpsl like this.
  7. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

Gase's comments about the D-line make me think he won't even look at DT in the 1st. If they want to use inexpensive rotational players, they won't invest a high pick in that position

8. Ikema

Ikema FinHeaven VIP

I'm sorry, could you explain? Just the savings in the cap hit seems justifiable:blackeye

9. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

The cap hit is besides the point, though it’s still pretty bad. My opinion is you don’t cut a good player just to draft his replacement. That is especially true when linebackers, free safety, tight end, guard, and future qb are higher priorities right now.

10. NoblePhin

NoblePhin Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

I would slightly understand the outrage for picking a DT early due to the cap hit but we need another staryer there. We're kind of in a win now mode on defense because most of our star players are up there in age. I dont think we have 3 years to develop another player there, we would need an impact player right away. Vea/Payne/Bryan would be that

11. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

I hate the first two picks in this draft. Corner isn't a big need and cutting one player just to draft his replacement high isn't a smart move.

12. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

If the defense didn't feel the impact of one of the best DTs of the last decade, why the hell would you cut that player just to draft another in round 1?

13. LANGER72

LANGER72 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

You take the BPA with the 11 pick regardless if position or trade back for more picks.

HeavenCent likes this.
  14. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

It's not. You still have dead money tied up in the position and now instead of using the 11th overall pick to address a hole we already had going into the season, we're using it to fix one newly created, and we still end up with a downgrade at the position overall. It's certainly a T-bum move, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

15. Ikema

Ikema FinHeaven VIP

Yes about the dead money, but by making the move now aren't we taking our medicine today instead of tomorrow? I'm not an Expert by any means of the salary cap and I'm only going by what I read here, but I understand his numbers were astronomical at the backend. as I understood we pay less by cutting him now that if we waited till next year. I never saw the player that played in Detroit. I'll be honest, my number one concern signing him at the time was him becoming complacent. I think will do just fine without him.

Anvil35 likes this.
  16. MiamiMuss

MiamiMuss A True Fan

I love Bryan and may be in the minority on this but that is ok.He is 3rd on my wish list at 11.ELITE DT combine #s
    Tannenbum loves him some DT.

17. HeavenCent

HeavenCent Active Member

I think TBryan ends up at DE on early downs and kicks inside on obvious pass downs. Not in love with him at 11 but wouldn’t be upset if we traded back and ended up with him.

I would take a corner in just about every draft if the value was there; can never have too many. not sure how you can look st the roster and feel great about corner. Dre was a nice pick in the 3rd and hopefully he is the dude but he is not a lock. Lots of good corners in this draft and we should be able to snag one in the first two days. I would definitely consider Ward if he were available at 11. That said, I’m just not a Carlton Davis fan, especially at 42.

NoblePhin likes this.
  18. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

Any DT in this draft will be a reach at #11. For the love of God, we need playmakers at skill positions. If 4 QBs are gone by #11, there's no excuse we can't draft a game changing skill position player. No DT is Aaron Donald in this class. And we saw what little impact Suh had on our defense overall, hence why we released him, was not worth the price and did he drastically change our defense? No. Let's not do that again and miss on other talent. We have decent depth at DT already. But we have absolutely nothing at LB.

Tailgun likes this.
  19. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

Ummmm...I think everyone's covered all the logical points.

So, let me take this opportunity to enlighten thee about a little show called, "Shameless"...

20. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

His salary cap hit would have been $2 million higher next year with an increased salary cap and plenty of space. It also wouldn't have been nearly as bad if the moron T-bum didn't restructure. I care about talent. We lost that. I don't really care how much they make. I'll leave that to the OTC website fanatics.

He had more tackles and far more assisted tackles. His sacks were pretty much the same. And the stats are deceiving, given a that he was a DT. Your eyes deceived you. He was a force here with zero help. He most certainly didn't become complacent. Funny enough, one of the biggest complaints against him besides how much money he was making was the fact that he wasn't a rah rah leader as far as they could see. They confuse the NFL with their fond memories of their high school football coach leading chants and other nonsense to rile up kids.

And now people are okay with using a 1st round pick to replace him with a lesser player (and dead cap) while leaving the other needed positions, that we could have used the 1st on instead, as needs because they think cap space = championships.

PSU Cane likes this.
  21. Ikema

Ikema FinHeaven VIP

We'll see how it all plays out. I'm not with you on this, but I have been biased since the start with Suh, never being a fan.

NoblePhin likes this.