Mock Scenario 2019-2020/the Grier/flores/o'shea/graham Schemes | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mock Scenario 2019-2020/the Grier/flores/o'shea/graham Schemes

Kingdom Come

Active Roster
Reaction score
Remember what Grier said earlier before he realized it wasn't time to be telling the truth about what your specific plans are for the off season. Prioritize strengthening the lines, QB 2020. Expect them to drastically tone down the rebuild stuff, it doesn't sell season tickets and it doesn't play well in the press; nevertheless, It's ON.

With that in mind, cuts and trades:
Cuts: Tannehill,Danny Amendola,Andre Branch,Kiko Alonso,Josh Sitton,Daniel Kilgore,Ted Larsen,Akeem Spence.

Tannehill,Amendola,Kiko,Sitton.......these guys all still have some value but they aren't part of the plan going forward. They aren't part of the vision for 2020, I think we all know that.

As much as all Dolphin fans are frustrated with Devante Parker, I'm not sure Grier will be able to let him go. Still, if the Colts and their 110 million in cap space make an offer, he might just take a 5th round pick for him. After TY Hilton and Zach Pascal, there is nothing on the Colts roster, and the rest of their roster looks good,actually great. I expect them to be picked to win the AFC title after they load up in free agency and the draft. As long as Luck is healthy.

Trades: Robert Quinn and Davon Gochaux to the Falcons for Vic Beasley and a 3rd round pick. A lot of Dolphin fans are down on Quinn but understand the Dolphins had no interior push last year, and especially after Vincent Taylor went down. Taylor was having an excellent year and I believe he will flourish as a DE in Flores/Graham base 3-4 hybrid defense.

According to PFF Quinn ranked as the 20th pass rusher in the league with a 73.2 grade. He has trade value, and especially if he is amenable to a new contract; which he may very well be considering he has 0 guaranteed money under his current deal. Quinn came to the Dolphins for a 4th because he didn't like playing in the Rams 3-4.

As good as Godchaux was last year he wasn't a pocket pusher and he doesn't really fit in the new scheme.

Atlanta needs help in the interior even with a healthy Grady Jarrett franchised or under a new deal. Godchaux is still just 24 and on his rookie contract paying 645,000 and 735,00 the next two years.

Godchaux ranked 15th against the run according to PFF with a grade of 85.4. He has serious value.

Vic Beasley is total shot in the dark. He was the absolute worst DE in the league last year with qualifying snaps.....rock bottom! There was something seriously wrong.
https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/...-everything-you-need-to-know-bust-or-not-bust
Obviously, Beasley was always going to project as an OLB and not a DE. He could just explode as an OLB in this new hybrid scheme. He had 15.5 sacks in 2015 in an all pro year. He is just 26.

The pick is #79 or the 15th pick in the 3rd round, ours is the 14th giving us two in a row which is nice.

Minkah has to be a FS/Slot CB. He absolutely bombed on the outside. With Jalen Davis looking to push Bobby McCain, I think the Dolphins have to try and trade TJ McDonald, even though it is over 5 mil in dead money. If they can't get a pick they keep him for depth but that isn't really fair either as he IS a starter in the NFL. TJ ranked 38th among all safeties last year but I'm sure that his coverage grade was affected by the poor CB play most of the year.
Still,38th, is good. It's definitely good enough for the money he is getting. I'll take a 5th round pick for TJ and eat the dead cap.

Seeing as there is very,very, little on the books after this season I expect the Dolphins will defer as much of the dead money as they can into the future.

This gives Grier plenty of cap space to sign young free agents and an extra 3rd rounder and three 5th rounders including our own load up on a roster full of young depth.

Free Agents:
Can't let Wake go just yet. I think Wake knows that if he stays with one team it will help him in the HOF balloting. I expect him to make another team friendly 2 year deal. I f Wake can get himself another 17 sacks or so they will be hard pressed not to put him in the HOF. Dolphins need this for the organization more than we need the 15 mil in cap the next two years. Besides, he is still playing great! PFF ranked him the 11th best pass rusher last year with a grade of 81.1. Right now, he is still irreplacable; nevertheless, he will have to be replaced in 2020.

Dolphins give Ja'wuan James a similar deal as Bobbie Massie, after they put the transition tag on him. Massie did rank a few slots higher than James but Massie will be 30 next fall, and James just 27 in June. I think if the guaranteed money is there James will sign for 5 years 43 mil. He did improve his run blocking some last year and if you take out the Houston game his grade would probably be significantly better. JJ Watt kinda dun'm in.

Bring back Stephone Anthony on the minimum for special teams and depth. He may actually be an effective blitzer in this scheme, and, if nothing else, his one good attribute along with his speed, his coverage grades have been pretty good over the years.

John Denny ???

Travis Swanson logged 644 snaps last year and ranked 20th among centers. Pouncey ranked 25th. He was the paid the minimum. They may even bring him back on a multi-year deal for backup money.

2nd round tender on Brendel. He was looking awful good. If he can stay healthy and continue to improve, the Dolphins might just have something good.

RFA tender for Nick O'Leary. He was out best TE last year.

Bring back ERFA's Jesse Davis,Zach Sterup, and Jonathan Woodard. Woodard would need to bulk up to compete as a 3-4 end. He would really need to take a step. Maybe another stint on the practice squad.

Take a flier on David Irving. Famous for the longest wingspan in the NFL and a 40 inch vertical, the 6'7" 290 pound freak has had his share problems and maybe he will never be able to leave his past behind him, but if he was able to buy into the new Dolphins way and settle down and fulfill his potential, he could have an enormous effect on a hybrid 3-4 like this. Irving is just 25.

I think that they will actually have to offer him a pretty big contract, even though his only claim to fame was 7 sacks in 8 games 2017. I think he knows his offers are all going to be incentive based with very little guaranteed money.

Trey Flowers........nahh, they will franchise him before they let him come to Miami with Flores.

Henry Anderson DE Durability issues might keep his price down. When healthy he is good at every aspect of being 5-technique. Jets are converting to a 4-3 and so are unlikely to try to hold onto him. 5 year deal.

Chris Conley WR The best blocking WR in the league. He also looked awful good when Sammy Watkins was injured.
Won't cost much,he is a 4 or 5.

Sign Michael Johnson DE/OLB/6-technique as nice versatile chip for Flores. I always thought his worst possible position would be as a 4-3 end. Perhaps he can revive his career as a hybrid. He won't get much more than the minimum and this could pay huge benefits if he is finally able to use his freak athleticism and elite length successfully.

Take a flier on Maxx Williams TE. Severe durability issues and nothing for a resume make him dirt cheap to bring into camp. If he ever did stay healthy for awhile, the talent is still there, blocking and receiving.

QB....I like Brandon Weeden. He will be dirt cheap and he loves to sling the rock, he just doesn't care which team he throws to. Turnovers are the key to losing consistently in the NFL. Hopefully Drake will continue to fumble on the goal line and not resolve his ball security issues until 2020. Remember, we want to lose. Weeden,Fales,Falk,an undrafted rookie free agent or two.........no money spent.

Draft:
Trade down with the Texans and add a 2nd round pick. Now picking at #23. Dolphins target Dexter Lawrence NT who is sliding out of the first round because of the PED suspension. Texans have no OT's going into 2019. I expect they will buy a OT and also draft one as high up as they can get at a reasonable price. If not with the Dolphins, I would expect them to trade up with another team. Carolina and the Browns are also expected to draft OT in the first round. If they don't trade up they might just get shutout.

Lawrence is perfect for the Dolphins, and having two 2nd round and two third round picks is a boon. This is how you rebuild.

2nd......Dalton Risner OG/OT/OC Scouts are all over the map on this guy. Looks like the perfect NFL guard to me.
2nd......Connor McGovern OG/OC
3rd......DeAndre Walker OLB
3rd......Mecole Hardman WR/Wildcat I am a firm believer in geometric synergy. I just can't get the picture of four wide with Stills,Wilson,Grant, and Hardman. How do you cover that?? It's just too much speed and quickness for most defenses. One of those guys is getting safety coverage and one on one on the outside is likely.
4th.....Michael Jackson DB
5th.....Isaiah Johnson DB
5th....Corbin Kaufusi DE
6th....DaMarkus Lodge WR
7th....Andrew Wingard SS
URFA's:
Markus Jones OLB
Bryan Mone NT
Ryan Bee DE
Easton Stick QB
Nick Fitzgerald QB/Wildcat/TE/ Practice squad
Amani Bledsoe DE
Bruce Anderson RB
Greg Menard OLB
Darrius Shepherd WR
Darnell Savage FS
Sam Mustipher Center
Tony Brooks-James RB
Jacques Armstead RB

Roster:
QB....Weedon,Fitzgerald .....Stick to the PS, we may win too many games if he starts.
RB.....Drake,Kalen Ballage,Jacques Armstead
WR....Wilson,Stills,Grant,Hardman,Chris Conley,DaMarkus Lodge
TE.....Nick O'Leary,Mike Gesicki,Maxx Williams
OT.....Tunsil,James,Sterup,Risner
OG....Risner,McGovern,Jesse Davis,Brendel
OC....Brendel,Mustipher,Risner,McGovern

NT.....Dexter Lawrence,Bryan Mone
DE....Henry Anderson,Vincent Taylor,David Irving,Corbin Kaufusi,Amani Bledsoe
Mike LB Raekwon McMillan,Chase Anderson
Will LB Baker,Stephone Anthony,Quentin Poling
OLB Cam Wake,Vic Beasley,Charles Harris,DeAndre Walker,Markus Jones
SS Reshad Jones,Andrew Wingard
FS Minkah,Walt Aikens
CB X,Tankersley,McCain,Jalen Davis,Michael Jackson,Isaiah Johnson
P Matt Haack
K Sanders

2020 should see the Dolphins with a very high draft position and an huge reserve of cap room. Perhaps a few of the elite pass rushers will end up playing on the franchise tag this year and actually hit free agency next year.

Or, the Eagles change their mind and keep Foles and put Wentz on the block because they have serious concerns about his injuries. Dolphins bite and sell their draft to the Eagles for Carson Wentz and build the lines next year.

It's refreshing to think we're finally going to be back to the Miami Dolphin Standards we once were with our new staff and soon to be new players.

A few Monday night and thursday night football games and actually win them.

I think I'm gonna need more popcorn and beer.:munch:

Ohhhh it's starting to get good!:pbj::pbj:

"Trades: Robert Quinn and Davon Gochaux to the Falcons for Vic Beasley and a 3rd round pick."

:confused: I literally stopped reading after this..

Too bad. That means you missed the highlight...replacing Ryan Tannehill with Brandon Weeden

2012 decision in reverse

Absolutely love David Irving's talent, and he'd be a great fit, but I have a hard time seeing Flores wanting to take on his issues.

You lost me at Vic Beasley...never to return at Wake has to be signed back...up to, "This guy is trying to get me banned saying Brandon Weeden."

Absolutely love David Irving's talent, and he'd be a great fit, but I have a hard time seeing Flores wanting to take on his issues.

Well, I wouldn't expect that they would really count on him for anything. Total boom or bust, and nobody in the league is giving much of any guaranteed money.

I think the Dolphins in their tank season are a perfect candidate to take a flier on guys like Irving,Michael Johnson,Maxx Williams, and the sort.

Dolphins have nothing to lose on these deals because, in truth, they are totally looking ahead to 2020. Maybe there is no there, there......but just maybe there is a great big huge there, there.

Love the UDFA Bison; Stick and Menard. However, from what I've heard, Stick is most likely to get drafted anywhere from 3-7 rounds, I would guess 5-7. Menard has some talent, just don't know if it will translate into the NFL. Worth a shot though.

You lost me at Vic Beasley...never to return at Wake has to be signed back...up to, "This guy is trying to get me banned saying Brandon Weeden."

Sorry, but if we draft a QB this year with a high pick it means we won't be drafting one next year, and next year's class is waaayyyy better. Don't buy into this year's hype train on any of these QB's. Dolphins are absolutely right to shun this year's class and look to next year while bolstering the lines and the defense. I am shocked actually, really shocked, that if the Dolphins do as they said they were going to do, I would be in agreement. I'm already just coming out of my coma from the shock that we dumped the last regime and are going to be running a beautiful 3-4 hybrid defense.

Love the UDFA Bison; Stick and Menard. However, from what I've heard, Stick is most likely to get drafted anywhere from 3-7 rounds, I would guess 5-7. Menard has some talent, just don't know if it will translate into the NFL. Worth a shot though.

I have seen every game Stick has played in multiple times. I am a huuuuggggee Bison fan. I attended NDSU from what I can remember, it's kinda hazy; but I remember the football games.

He isn't ready, and may never be ready. I hope I'm wrong but I think he needs Aaron Rodgers treatment; we are talking a good three years in development with an exceptional coach. He doesn't have the natural timing that successful NFL QB's have. It will glare in the face of scouts doing film studies. You won't see it on highlight films.
I have him as a career backup, but a good backup who is also an excellent scrambler and runner is a valuable thing to have. His deep ball is exceptional as well, and he throws very well running to his right.

I think Herbert will win the Heisman if he has a good OL next year. He may also be the first pick.

I think a couple years on the practice squad learning how to cover will help. He was really,really disadvantaged this last year with the Bison running a six man rotation at DE. He just didn't get the snaps. I think he could have led the FCS in sacks had he been an every down guy. He is really quick, and he gets off the ball like he is psychic or something.

"Trades: Robert Quinn and Davon Gochaux to the Falcons for Vic Beasley and a 3rd round pick."

Please elaborate. Is it Beasley you are over valuing?? You do realize they were trying to trade him before the deadline but no team wanted him.
103 Vic Beasley Jr. ATL 44 42.2
55.8 47.3 38.2 702 460 214 28 A

That's his line at PFF. Literally dead last out of 103 edge guys with qualifying snaps. This guy is in need of a resurrection.

I thought I was the only one lol

Back
Top Bottom