Monday's Training Camp Notes | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Monday's Training Camp Notes

ON SIGHT TRAINING CAMP REPORT :

No rain today, but it was threatening....

I watched the OL mostly today....

T. Wise was working them hard right off the bat yesterday. They looked pretty good IMO yesterday. They had a more workman like attitude, and were ready to work today.....I was pleased with what I saw on the OL yesterday.

LT B. Smith was actually moving well today. He wasn't great, but he looked like he was getting it done with more consistancy. He's basically one of two LT who have a chance to start, and his competition M. Spriggs is looking no better IMO. They could both improve as TC ends, and the Pre-Season gets underway......

LT is without question the weakest link this season{AGAIN}.

There are rumors that J. Nails maybe taking the starting LG job from M. Dixon. J.Nails is just so much more physical because of his size, and he's opening up bigger holes. M. Dixon on the other hand is looking tired, and slow. He'll be ready in Sptemeber, but right now, he's not doing much to warrant the starting spot.....

T. Ruddy looked like T. Ruddy, but he had a good spring to his step yesterday OMI.

S. McKinney is a gamer, and as a rookie, I think he's bringing a well needed intensity to this OL. He got into a scuffle with D. Romero which was good to see. He's not the kind of guy that likes getting pushed around, that I can tell.....I think by next season, this kid will bulk up, put on some muscule, and be more than ready to compete for the starting spot.

L. Searcy looks good run blocking, but his pass protection breaks down pretty quick. I think he'll get better in the weeks to come. He has been away from football for awhile{2 years}......

T. Perry isn't looking good, and he isn't looking bad. He's looking like the average OG that he is. He could start, but he's nothing special. I'm hoping L. Searcy can replce him as the starter this year....

RT T. Wade is a lock, and will be for years. He looks better than ever. I like what I saw from him yesterday, he's playing with more intensity this year IMO. He's the best player on this OL, and he's only been here three years!!!

R. Lucas continues to baffle me beyond belief.....

He can't complete a pass undrer heavy pressure. He's got bad footwork IMO, and doesn't set up correctly. Yesterday, he made some horrible throws. I see him constantly hesitating, and not having confidence in his throw. I'm satisfied with R. Lucas as a back-up, but if he ever expects to be a starter in this league, he should work on his feet while inside the pocket......

J. Fielder!!!....Yes!!!.... Jay has been taking some snaps with no pressure, but he's throwing strong, and looks like he'll be returning very soon. We need him, and it's been good to see him out there everyday with the guys hanging out. Once he starts throwing full time, I'm sure he'll be fine.....

Even J. McKnight caught some passes yesterday.....PLEASE CONTINUE!!!!

R.Williams is great. He didn't really have any break out plays yesterday, but he's just so solid it's amazing. I don't know why jealous fans say he's got bad hands....that's a joke!!! Ricky has been catching everything.

We actually had a minor scare yesterday when RW, after catching a flair out and running upfield towards the sideline, was pushed, and banged into and over one of the trainers crates on the sideline.....He jumped right back up though.

The defense is looking better and better I think. The DL looks to be fine with D. Bownes, J. Talyor, and R. Burnett taking on the pass rush duties. DT L Chester continues to impress, and I like him as our new DT. I watch him push the pocket constantly, and he's not an easy guy to block either.....The DL looks better than I expected at this time.

As of today, there are some new faces pushing for the starting spot in different places on this team, and I think it's all for the better.....

Watch :

J. Nails vs. M. Dixon at RG
R. McMichael / A. Mayes vs. J. Weaver at TE - Mayes is back....
O. Ayanbedejo vs. R. Konrad at FB

Watch out for WR R. Baker too. I think he should get a shot on this team this year.....

We've also got a DT H. Taylor who is a load, and could move up the depth chart before the season starts....

I'll be at Pro Player tonight......

PHINZ RULE!!!!

thanks much Blitz for the ON SIGHT TRAINING CAMP REPORT

the OL sounds so much deeper and improved over 2001, except for LT, not sure there is much we can do other than move Dixon which may not help since we'd then have 3 recovering LTs. :(

Ricky have bad hands :confused: he caught more passes last season than anyone on the Fins :D

the first cut in camp will be CB Cedric Donaldson
Second-year CB Cedric Donaldson delivered a good hit during practice. Unfortunately, the hit was on RB Ricky Williams and right next to the left sideline. Williams was barely able to avoid hitting the equipment cart.
from http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/sports/football/nfl/miami_dolphins/3806391.htm

not smart :fire:

I'm starting to think the Ayanbadejo/Konrad competition is just a paper matchup. In fact, I don't believe they are competing against each other at all. Even if Ayanbadejo looks like the greatest thing since Keith Byars, Konrad's not going to be cut. He's got a year left on his contract and I'm thinkin the coaches just want to figure out if Konrad's worth extending.

Deon Dyer is the guy under pressure from Ayanbadejo. Devastating blocking is all he has, and its not all that important in Norv's offense where he has the OL do all the blocking. There's really not much room in Norv's offense for a guy that can only block and not be counted on to catch the ball.

I'd like to see Henry Taylor make the final roster again. We rostered him last year. Perhaps someone likes what they have seen out of Ernest Grant and would trade for him for a conditional 6th?

CK,

They are competing with eachother for the starting spot on the roster. That's competition isn't it???

I'd keep all of the FB's....Is that not possible???

I agree with what you've said about needing to be able to do more than just block in N. Turners' offense.

R. Konrad and O. Ayanbadejo can catch but I don't know if I trust their blocking skills in short/goal-line situations. I still think you need a bowling ball (D. Dyer) no matter what.....This OL isn't good enough to survive without one IMO.

Besides, D. Dyer can catch. I've seen him do plenty of times. He may not be nearly the receiver as the other FB's, but his blocking skills dominate those of O.A and R.K.....

PHINZ RULE!!!

How do you know that they are competing with each other for the start? When Dave brought O-A in he said specifically that he was there for training camp depth, and I've heard reports that Dyer's the one on the hot seat.

Sorry, but there's probably a 0.00001% chance of Konrad being cut unless he does something drastic, no matter what O-A does.

I havent seen too much out of Ernest Grant. He is big, but when he was in there in Gardner's absence. They ran right past him.

Konrad is in no pressure of getting cut. Period. Femi may get Dyer cut, but he was no superstar (cut by the Panthers?) at his last job, where he got to catch the ball a few times.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
How do you know that they are competing with each other for the start? When Dave brought O-A in he said specifically that he was there for training camp depth, and I've heard reports that Dyer's the one on the hot seat.

Sorry, but there's probably a 0.00001% chance of Konrad being cut unless he does something drastic, no matter what O-A does.

CK,

I never said I thought that R. Konrad would be cut. I think he's playing much better this year in Norvs' offense....

But I am strongly against cutting D. Dyer no matter what....:fire:

None of them should be cut if possible....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

I know it is almost unheard of, but does anyone think that they wil keep all three FB's, and go with one less TE (86 Mayes/Draper)? This could save a valuable roster spot, if they really like all three of the FB's that much, and can use them all. Not just to have a guy sit on the bench, but to actually have a role for him.

Dyer is valuable on Special Teams and in the Red Zone. If RW wears the D down in the fourth quarter than Dyer pounding them won't hurt either. Femi was brought in for competition and incase of injury and that's exactly what he's doing. Noone's said he's moved up on the roster yet nor have I heard that he's done anything in traing camp. It's important for Dyer to make it known he's an offensive threat in pre season.

Originally posted by scotgif
I know it is almost unheard of, but does anyone think that they wil keep all three FB's, and go with one less TE (86 Mayes/Draper)? This could save a valuable roster spot, if they really like all three of the FB's that much, and can use them all. Not just to have a guy sit on the bench, but to actually have a role for him.

Why would we keep Femi'? If God forbid Konrad is injured, then we could probably still sign Femi'. I want to see 2 FBs on our roster: Dyer and Konrad.

I agree with booyeah, Femi is there to push the other FBs Konrad and Dyer. If he should some amazing things then Dave, Norv would consider keeping him. It will be Konrad and Dyer.

Back
Top Bottom