More cuts coming soon... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More cuts coming soon...

He can be cut at no penalty unlike Lawson - they are looking at 4-5 players at the 6 spot one has to be parsons

but they could select another Lb and still cut Bernard and get savings

not saying they will but they can

I understand it from a cap perspective, I don't understand it from a team building perspective. Creating 2 holes that have to filled through the draft, when they already have more holes than they do picks.

I guess that would depend on who was on the board at the time. I'd like to see us get more than the 10th although I don't know how realistic that would be. Do you trade him for that pick?
I would without thinking twice. And at 10 I’m praying parsons is there. If not BPA. We got a couple of very good to great years but this is a business. If he wants a raise , let’s move on

Unless they are planning to draft Surtain at 6, they are not going to dump X. He is one of the top CB’s in the NFL and they don’t have anybody on the roster to step in and play at near the level he plays the position. Iggy is not ready and may never be ready to replace Howard.
It will all be based on what they are seeing with Iggy and how he is progressing. I don't see them dumping X in exchange for Surtain.

It will all be based on what they are seeing with Iggy and how he is progressing. I don't see them dumping X in exchange for Surtain.
Iggy is physical and I dont really hate his athleticism at FS if they deem him potentially a fit there (in this hypothetical scenario).

Just playing devil's advocate

I'm not saying there was anything to it but I find it ironic that X played a full year for the first time in a few years the year Iggy was drafted. I think they drafted him to be X's successor knowing X has had issues playing a full year. Keep in mind, Noah is only 21 years old. If they don't rework X's contract this year, I think we can expect it will be his last. His trade value is at its peak...

I understand it from a cap perspective, I don't understand it from a team building perspective. Creating 2 holes that have to filled through the draft, when they already have more holes than they do picks.
There are plenty of players yet to be cut who don’t come as expensive as Bern - this is a 2 down LB with a big price tag - I wouldn’t be shocked if he is let go for a younger healthier 2 down FA LB

I am not going be shocked if we get Parsons or Collins either

“Bern McKinney 3 years remaining on his contract, which includes base salaries of $7 million in 2021, $8.75 million in 2022 and $9.5 million in 2021.

Yah not even 2 years not happening

Last edited:
They won’t be having any practices before the draft and Iggy wasn’t getting on the field in the latter part of last season. So I really don’t see what they could see in him over the next 10-12 days that would lead to them trading Howard before or during the draft.

If Iggy comes in and shows drastic improvement during the 2021 season, that might lead to the Dolphins looking at a trade for Howard but I just don’t see it as something they are looking at doing right now.

Unfortunately they are stuck with Jones as the other CB until at least the 2023 season because of the dead cap space it would cost to cut him. I would much rather have Howard in the secondary over the next few years than Jones but Howard’s excellent play and the Jones contract makes it much easier to trade Howard than Jones.

Jones is like a lead anchor at this point. I've seen multiple news stories showcasing Iggy's workouts this off-season, seems more than usual for a backup CB. I find this odd... :shrug:

Another thing to factor in is how loud is X going to be shouting for the new contract as camp approaches. Hopefully, it doesn't turn out to be a huge distraction. I'm sure that is in the back of their minds. I'm not advocating moving on from him, I'm just looking at it from both sides. Nothing surprises me anymore...

Jones is like a lead anchor at this point. I've seen multiple news stories showcasing Iggy's workouts this off-season, seems more than usual for a backup CB. I find this odd... :shrug:
I really don’t care about his workouts. I just remember him looking completely lost when he was on the field last year. So it is great that he is working hard to prepare for the season but I want to see him actually perform at a high level during the season before I would even think about trading Howard.

Frankly, we've over-signed low end FA's. 12 WR's ..... and we're going to have a draft before we have any camps. That's just stupid.

Unless they are planning to draft Surtain at 6, they are not going to dump X. He is one of the top CB’s in the NFL and they don’t have anybody on the roster to step in and play at near the level he plays the position. Iggy is not ready and may never be ready to replace Howard.

Agree Iggy is an unknown, but he gets such a bad wrap on here. Game 2 with no preseason, the staff made him chase one of the best WR's in the league all over the field, all while giving Allen 5 seconds to throw. The 2 stud CB's looked like **** in week 17 against the same WR core.

Agree Iggy is an unknown, but he gets such a bad wrap on here. Game 2 with no preseason, the staff made him chase one of the best WR's in the league all over the field, all while giving Allen 5 seconds to throw. The 2 stud CB's looked like **** in week 17 against the same WR core.
Great point.

I have stated that I have no idea how he will develop. I think the issue with Iggy is the fact he played so little after that Buffalo game. He couldn’t even beat out Needham for the slot corner position and Needham was an UDFA in 2019.

if Iggy had been drafted later in the draft, I think he would be seen more as a project. Yet as a first round draft pick, the expectation was he would have been able to come in and contribute much more than he did.

Obviously the lack of a preseason hurt him just like it did many of the rookies on the roster. Yet the discussion in this thread has been about trading Howard. I for one do not want them to trade Howard unless they have a solid replacement to fill his position. Perhaps Iggy will turn out to be that solid replacement in the future but based on last year, he still has a lot to prove before they should be trading Howard and handing the position to Iggy.

As far as the last game of the season against Buffalo is concerned, you are 100% correct. The entire team including Howard and Jones were terrible in that game. The team was out coached and out played the entire game. Yet those type games unfortunately happen on occasion and that one game certainly shouldn’t mean they should trade Howard and start Iggy instead.

Back
Top Bottom