More cuts coming soon... | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More cuts coming soon...

There are plenty of players yet to be cut who don’t come as expensive as Bern - this is a 2 down LB with a big price tag - I wouldn’t be shocked if he is let go for a younger healthier 2 down FA LB

I am not going be shocked if we get Parsons or Collins either

That's a fair point.

I love both LB's, but Collins would be more replacement for KVN than McKinney

I understand it from a cap perspective, I don't understand it from a team building perspective. Creating 2 holes that have to filled through the draft, when they already have more holes than they do picks.
There are plenty of players yet to be cut who don’t come as expensive as Bern - this is a 2 down LB with a big price tag - I wouldn’t be shocked if he is let go for a younger healthier 2 down FA LB

I am not going be shocked if we get Parsons or Collins either
That's a fair point.

I love both LB's, but Collins would be more replacement for KVN than McKinney
He can play think a little outside the box - 260’lbs covers RBs and TEs not kvn

We just signed that Carter dude to like a 3 year contract... doubt he gets cut
I said last year “we are just a Cethan Carter away the Super bowl”
If he is a ST stud then fine otherwise the length of his contract means jack **** to me.

If he is a ST stud then fine otherwise the length of his contract means jack **** to me.
What about the fact that we JUSTsigned him this offseason? Doesn’t that indicate he’s part of next years plans?

How about the $2.7m cap hit to eat his contract, before he ever plays a down?

What about the fact that we JUSTsigned him this offseason? Doesn’t that indicate he’s part of next years plans?
I don't think so. Miami has also signed players like rb Jordan Scarlett and wr Kai Locksley this offseason but they're not locked in as making the roster. I doubt Carter got much or any guaranteed money in his deal and that it's all contingent on him making the final 53... ok looks it's $2.7 million guaranteed $$$ so his situation is a little different than Locksley's of Jordan Scarlett's. If Carter is beat out in camp I don't think his deal would keep them from releasing him and going a different direction.

Last edited:
I don't think so. Miami has also signed players like rb Jordan Scarlett and wr Kai Locksley this offseason but they're not locked in as making the roster. I doubt Carter got much or any guaranteed money in his deal and that it's all contingent on him making the final 53... ok looks it's $2.7 million guaranteed $$$ so his situation is a little different than Locksley's of Jordan Scarlett's. If Carter is beat out in camp I don't think his deal would keep them from releasing him and going a different direction.
If they cut Carter they will take a dead cap of the full 2.7 million dollars. What’s interesting but no one has mentioned when they discuss possible cuts is the Dolphins will take a $3,366, 000 dead cap hit if they cut Allan Hurns. Which is over a million dollars more than the dead cap hit would be if they cut Albert Wilson.

I prefer Wilson over Hurns if they are both healthy but because of how little money they now have in cap space, you have to wonder if they would keep Hurns instead of Wilson simply because the dead cap hit would be less by releasing Wilson.

It also makes me wonder if they will keep Parker, Fuller, the rookie WR, Wilson, Hurns and Williams and Bowden battle it out for the final roster spot at WR because they would take a much smaller cap hit by releasing one of those two. The dead cap hit to release Grant is only $1,800,000. So he seems more likely to be cut than Wilson and Hurns at this time.

Last edited:
A) not my money
B) $1.5M cap savings for cutting him

You realize there is a cap though right? And I believe he was the first player signed in free agency, so pretty sure he's in the plans for 2021. And you B is wrong:

Cethan Carter signed a 3 year, $7,800,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins, including a $1,500,000 signing bonus, $2,700,000 guaranteed

Well do we have any other FB / TEs / H backs?

You realize there is a cap though right? And I believe he was the first player signed in free agency, so pretty sure he's in the plans for 2021. And you B is wrong:

Cethan Carter signed a 3 year, $7,800,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins, including a $1,500,000 signing bonus, $2,700,000 guaranteed
I think some people just look up contract amounts and see marginal monies and think “well we can just cut x,y,and z, and gain some more money!”

while yeah that’s true... there is more to it than that

Carter isn't going anywhere... The way his contract was set up, he was guaranteed one year of being on the roster, after this year, he may or may not be back.

Very similar to what we did with Fejedelem last year.

I suspect that Carter was signed to replace Feje...

Carter isn't going anywhere... The way his contract was set up, he was guaranteed one year of being on the roster, after this year, he may or may not be back.

Very similar to what we did with Fejedelem last year.

I suspect that Carter was signed to replace Feje...
Agreed

and while it’s nice to have a veteran ST player, I think he’s a cap casualty (Feje)

in my opinion- players drafted on day 3, rounds 6-7, if you can find a guy with good tools and is a ballin special teams player- go for it. Cheap and young, chance/upside to develop. Hell we took a long snapper last year, these dudes will do anything. A 7th rounder might just go to a gunner lol (doubt that but just sayin)

agree with some of what you're saying but using a late pick on a WR makes zero sense to me. We already have about 8 guys that fit that description so why add one more? use that late pick for something we don't have.
Got it, and I wouldn’t disagree with that logic. Once ALL needs are filled I’m def all about BPA. Especially if we cut a few of the guys I listed to save $ on the cap. My bringing him up was merely a crazy fast guy who will go on day 3. Could be value. That was the point.

Perry
Fedjedelem
Laird
Grant
Hollins
Deiter ?

Depending on the draft and how Brandon Jones is getting on, Rowe could be in the firing line.

I'm not as down on Fed. Top STguys are hard to find and his salary isn't outlandish. Depends on the ST talent they draft and if the new guy can help other than ST

Back
Top Bottom