more data I would like to see ... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

more data I would like to see ...

caneaddict

Pro Bowler
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I wish the NFL would include wingspan in the measurements taken at the combine. In the NBA, wingspan is a huge stat. Wade measured short at the Chicago camp but had a massive wingspan which clearly helps him play taller (steals, blocks etc.).

I would think wingspan plays a role in WR production. For instance if you have 2 WR's that are 6'2 but one has an extra 7 inches in wingspan he may have a better ability to get to the ball; especially in the red zone and jump ball situations. I have a feeling that besides his height, Randy Moss probably has an abnormally large wingspan. This stat isn't too important for shorter receivers since they won't be involved in as many jump balls. But taller guys like Matt Jones - it could be interesting.

caneaddict said:
I wish the NFL would include wingspan in the measurements taken at the combine. In the NBA, wingspan is a huge stat. Wade measured short at the Chicago camp but had a massive wingspan which clearly helps him play taller (steals, blocks etc.).

I would think wingspan plays a role in WR production. For instance if you have 2 WR's that are 6'2 but one has an extra 7 inches in wingspan he may have a better ability to get to the ball; especially in the red zone and jump ball situations. I have a feeling that besides his height, Randy Moss probably has an abnormally large wingspan. This stat isn't too important for shorter receivers since they won't be involved in as many jump balls. But taller guys like Matt Jones - it could be interesting.
I great you 're a heat fan but wingspan isn't that important in the NFL(except maybe tackles). it's possible it has some affect on WR/DBs but not much.

caneaddict said:

They do take wingspan measurments, but there never really talked about because there not as "important" as the 40 and stuff.

caneaddict said:

They do bro...

caneaddict said:

I think the vertical jump is what seperates WR w/ the same height in terms of jump balls.

DolfanNJ said:
I thought that height was proportional to wingspan...

Agreed.....like if you have 2 WR's 6'2 its not like one guy has "normal" wingspan and the other has arms down to his ankles lol you get me??

That would be pretty damn funny though! :roflmao:

To most people, it is proportionate. However, many are above or below average. I understand that the 40 and vertical jump is certainly much more important. This would just be another useful measurement. Wish they would publish those numbers.

Back
Top Bottom