More on my favorite offseason topic (merged) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More on my favorite offseason topic (merged)

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
More on my favorite offseason topic

Next years QB class. ESPN printed the spring grades for the senior QBs.

Recent history has demonstrated the early "spring grades" disseminated to subscriber teams by the National and Blesto scouting combines usually mean very little by the time the following year's draft rolls around. Notable in this spring's National report, though, is the grade that the combine has assigned to University of Texas quarterback Chris Simms. The son of former Giants star Phil Simms has a 5.5 grade and there are five seniors with better ratings. The passers with grades of 5.0 or better on National's nine-point scale are: Byron Leftwich (Marshall), 6.7; Ken Dorsey (Miami), 6.5; Dave Ragone (Louisville), 6.5; Brian St. Pierre (Boston College), 6.4; Seneca Wallace (Iowa State), 5.8; Simms, 5.5; Kyle Boler (California), 5.4; Carson Palmer (Southern Cal), 5.4; Marquel Blackwell (South Florida), 5.3; Daniel Cobb (Auburn), 5.0; Jason Thomas (Nevada-Las Vegas), 5.0; and Justin Wood (Portland State), 5.0.

Keep in mind the final grades for Carr 6.4, Harrington 6.3, and Ramsey 5.8 if I remember correctly. All three of these guys were first round picks. If the gradeing system stays true that would 5 to 6 qbs picked in the first. That doesn't include the 3 junior QBs that could come out early that would most deffinitly get 1st round consideration(Grossman, Manning, Clausen). The two guys on this list to watch this season are Senneca Wallace and Chris Simms. They both have the size and arm strength the NFL covets, but have suffered from irratic junior seasons. If they can bounce back and play with consistentcy, and eliminate the many illivised throws they had last year, they will move to the top of this list with Leftwitch.

Along with my last thread

As many know next years QB class may be as good if not better than the class of '83, but who is going to take these QBs? Obviously Carolina(Byron Leftwitch will be wearing blue and white next season) and Cincy are both in need of franchise qbs, but there could be as many as 8 first round quality QBs next season what othet teams will select their QB of the future? I could see theh Jets going after a gunslinger if Pennington doesn't have a break out season. If Fielder doesn't have an improved season Miami may be in the market. the cool thing is the teams that will likely have the top draft picks have recently aquired or already have their QB of the future, Buffalo, Detroit, Houston, Washington, Jacksonville, Baltimore. So even though Miami will most likely draft in the final 6-8 picks their could be a franchise QB still out there, or they wouldn't have to move up to the top 10 to get a great QB prospect.

If Plummer bring the team down, Arizona will need a new QB.

On that same note how much will it suck to be a free agent QB next season knowing that there could be as many as 8 qbs taken in the first round. There should be alot of QBs available next season for the vet minimum.

Every year... it is touted as the "Year of the (insert position here)", but for the most part it is mostly hype. Didn't we have a draft that was supposed to rical the class of '83 a couple of years ago?? The same draft in which McNown was taken??

Then it was the Ultimate WR draft last year...

It's always something. And its the same thing every year. You have one or two good-great players come out of it... and the rest are mediocre(journey-men type) to bad players. Especially at the QB position. My gut is... we won't be taking a QB, unless there is an absolute superstar that we couldn't pass up that falls to us. And with our likely drafting position, that is not going to happen. Fiedler just signed a 5-year deal... and he has 2 years to prove himself. If he succeeds in Norv's system we won't be drafting a QB high for quite some time... and if he doesn't do extremely well, he will likely be given another chance next year. The only scenario where we draft a QB high is if Fiedler comes out and is downright the worst QB in the league... and that is not lieklyy to happen with the weapons he has surrounding him.

I think no matter how good Jay does this year, if the Dolphins are in position to draft a QB with 1rd talent, they should do it. You never know when your backups will be called upon, and right now I don't know how confident we can be with Lucas and whoever wins the 3rd QB spot as the starter.

Remember, in 1983 the Dolphins had David Woodley, who had just led the Dolphins to a SB, and Don Strock, but that didn't keep them from drafting Dan Marino in the first round.

Originally posted by grooves12
Every year... it is touted as the "Year of the (insert position here)", but for the most part it is mostly hype. Didn't we have a draft that was supposed to rical the class of '83 a couple of years ago?? The same draft in which McNown was taken??

Then it was the Ultimate WR draft last year...

It's always something. And its the same thing every year. You have one or two good-great players come out of it... and the rest are mediocre(journey-men type) to bad players. Especially at the QB position. My gut is... we won't be taking a QB, unless there is an absolute superstar that we couldn't pass up that falls to us. And with our likely drafting position, that is not going to happen. Fiedler just signed a 5-year deal... and he has 2 years to prove himself.

First off you really need to look at the talent that could be there at QB. Barring any major injuries, and add 1 Junior of the 3 and there has been no draft anywhere near that talent this one could produce at QB. If Jay doesn't have a blockbuster year that takes Miami to the SB it is very likely that Dave and Co. look at a QB in the draft. They won't want to pay him 5mill per in 2 seasons, and they will want to give the rookie at least 1 year to learn the system. It deffinitly will depend on how Levcikc and Mcknown look, and how Jay plays, but they would be crazy to not look at a Qb next year. Then again the following draft may feature Lorenzen, Manning, Clausen, and Navare witch isn't a bad group either.

Originally posted by relive1972
Remember, in 1983 the Dolphins had David Woodley, who had just led the Dolphins to a SB, and Don Strock, but that didn't keep them from drafting Dan Marino in the first round.

But by 1983...Don Strock was reaching retirement age... remember, Strock replaced Griese...

I always thought Jay's contract was structured as a 2 year deal. We obviously couldn't afford his contract after those 2 years and Wanny is probably just as aware of us of all the QB's coming out next year. I see us drafting a Qb with our #1 (excluding a monumental season from Ricky Williams) pick whether Jay has a **** or great year.

Originally posted by WharfRat

But by 1983...Don Strock was reaching retirement age... remember, Strock replaced Griese...

True, but still my point was the argument could have been made the Dolphins had a successful starting QB in 1983 and didn't need to draft one in the 1st round, but thankfully Shula didn't follow that reasoning.

Look at the Wr class that suppose to be there next year. With both wr and Qb being strong and very deep projected draft positions next year they better pull Ricky Williams from the game if he gets close to 1500 yards. It would really suck if we didn't have a number 1 draft choice next year.

I'm a little surprised Chris Simms is so low. I think at this point scouts are concerned about his poise and the mental aspect of his game. Physically, I think he's better than some of the guys rated ahead of him.

Back
Top Bottom