More production from any Tight end? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More production from any Tight end?

Will any Dolphins TE beat Gesicki's numbers from last year? (5tds, 32 for 362 yards)

• 1 - Comfortably

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • 2- Barely

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • 3 - Close, but no cigar

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • 4 - Nowhere near, Tights Ends are allowed to catch??

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters
Let's do it this way. with Smythe being the #1 TE and TH/Waddle, the DC will not spend as much timing Smythe as he would Kelce/TH/waddle. I want a good blocking TE (yes), but I want a TE who is a good enough receiver he will draw the eyes of defenders.
I thought Smythe would be a guy who got us some tough yards last year as he had been improving as a receiver each season. I guess he was used to block most of the time?

Shame that the one time they went to him he dropped a perfect ball over the middle on a key 3rd down. Went through both hands 🙌 We didn’t see him much after that
Kid doesn't have a history ("problem") with hands so I doubt that one play somehow defined his future.

He's a project -- being "built" into a TE and IMO that's the reason he got stashed (of course he's worthy based on his athletic chops).

We'll see...

If Hill and Waddle stay healthy, I expect TE to have worse numbers.

Gesicki was still a great pass catching TE but his numbers dropped in half because there’s only 1 ball to go around.

Whatever TE we get isn’t just competing against the defense, but also to get open before Hill or Waddle… good luck!

Should have used MG and our running game starting out with and after SF when SF shut down Waddle and Hill but McDaniel did not adjust. If he stays that hardheaded this year last year will just be another honeymoon season for the phins.

It doesn't matter... You cant have tunnel vision here. Having a true TE on the field might mean less production for that player but a better offense overall, which I believe will be the case even if Saubert is the only addition.

Case and point, Gesicki's 2 best seasons production wise had the Fins offense bottom 10...
Exactly. And if Gesicki is posting good numbers in New England, it won’t mean their offense will be intimidating.

Should have used MG and our running game starting out with and after SF when SF shut down Waddle and Hill but McDaniel did not adjust. If he stays that hardheaded this year last year will just be another honeymoon season for the phins.
San Francisco did not shut down Hill and Waddle. They were both open all over the field. Tua just happened to have his most inaccurate day of his career. It was bizarre. I think Tua’s internal clock was sped up because of the pregame hype about San Francisco‘s pass rush. For me, it was Tua’s most disheartening game.

Devante Parker and Gesicki are at very different places in their respective careers. Care to make a wager? I will make a bet that he easily double those numbers from us this last year. What can we bet? Loser has to change their signature for a year with a custom message from the winner that can say anything as long as it is allowed by FinHeaven. Just for fun.
And what will that translate into for New England as an offense? If Gesicki is posting such great numbers it will most likely be due to forced production because of a lack of better options in their offense just like when Gesicki had inflated numbers playing in Miami.

And what will that translate into for New England as an offense? If Gesicki is posting such great numbers it will most likely be due to forced production because of a lack of better options in their offense just like when Gesicki had inflated numbers playing in Miami.
I agree it would be partially for that reason.

I mean Tyreek and Waddle were always out there. Outside of a few teams everyone knew either of them were going to get the ball and most teams couldn't stop it.
MG isn't here anymore so that's that!
But you couldn't convince me and he has the previous season stats to prove it that he wasn't a weapon on the field.

I'd have to look at the numbers. But has there been a more productive TE (stat-wise) on this teams since what... Randy McMicheal?
I haven't looked either but I'd be willing to bet that McDaniel was way more productive

I really doubt it. We are out getting blocking tight ends, and with Waddle and Hill taking most of the targets, there just isn't much left for TEs.

Great teams (orgs) seemingly always develop a player or 2 from some raw clay into something "special." Usually takes 2-3 years. And I'm not talking R1s like Iggy.
We've had some project guys like Lippett develop, then get a career altering injury. We've been better on this at defense than offense though, and I think a lot of conservative coaching on that side of the ball has led to project players being abandoned for guys with marginal talent but the same old skills and predictability.

I really doubt it. We are out getting blocking tight ends, and with Waddle and Hill taking most of the targets, there just isn't much left for TEs.

In theory yes! But you’d hope that McD and understand that teams are going to steal 49ers, Charger blue print and slow down Waddle/Hill.

You’d hope that part of the counter is with those TEs and Backs etc.

I don't expect any single tight end to eclipse Gesicki's statistical output from last season. I expect next season to be a TE by committee with around 3 guys legitimately contributing.

With that, I DO expect the TE group to match or exceed the total receiving yardage produced by last year's group (491 yards). I also expect this TE group to be a better blocking unit allowing McDaniel to unlock more in the run game and help in pass protection as needed.

If we draft one of Mayer, Washington, or Kraft, I expect them to exceed the 362 yards that Gesicki produced last season in their second season, all while contributing from the jump as a multi-phased fit in this offense that Gesicki could never be.

I'm excited at the prospect of our starting TE no longer serving as a tell for the defense that the ball will not be run in that direction successfully.

Excellent analysis!!

Please post more, bro.

Back
Top Bottom