More production from any Tight end? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More production from any Tight end?

Will any Dolphins TE beat Gesicki's numbers from last year? (5tds, 32 for 362 yards)

• 1 - Comfortably

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • 2- Barely

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • 3 - Close, but no cigar

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • 4 - Nowhere near, Tights Ends are allowed to catch??

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters
In theory yes! But you’d hope that McD and understand that teams are going to steal 49ers, Charger blue print and slow down Waddle/Hill.

You’d hope that part of the counter is with those TEs and Backs etc.
If they are able to do so. Most teams don't really have the personnel to pull it off imo.

I think they want better blocking not more production. George Kittle was an accident. If San Fran knew he was a playmaker he would not have been available in the 5th.
Well said. I think people who say we are looking for the next Kittle are missing the point. Obviously, if you find a HOF player, great, you make him a focal point. But what they're looking for from the TE is blocking.

Much of our offense is based upon that outside zone run. They want to put defenders in tough spots where they have to decide whether they race to get to the edge and support the run or gain enough depth to impair those middle depth passes. If our blocking on the edge is good enough (and the RB makes it outside) then it either decision is potential wrong.

That was where our offense struggled over the second half of the season. Teams relied on their front players to disrupt the blocking on the edge and stop those outside runs and let the secondary flood the middle zones. One of the keys for our offense this season will be the ability to make defenses commit more players to stopping that outside run.

If Hill and Waddle stay healthy, I expect TE to have worse numbers.

Gesicki was still a great pass catching TE but his numbers dropped in half because there’s only 1 ball to go around.

Whatever TE we get isn’t just competing against the defense, but also to get open before Hill or Waddle… good luck!

I'm likely in a minority. If Mcd has learned anything from '22, it's to stop giving TH/waddle 80% (fabricated) of targets. If that is correct, any receiver who proves to be dependable will benefit from that. whether it's the TE/Berrios/RB, I have no idea, but I expect TT to spread the ball more

I'm likely in a minority. If Mcd has learned anything from '22, it's to stop giving TH/waddle 80% (fabricated) of targets. If that is correct, any receiver who proves to be dependable will benefit from that. whether it's the TE/Berrios/RB, I have no idea, but I expect TT to spread the ball more

Though I agree with what you said, there is a reason the top receivers on a team more times then not get most of the attempts.

-They tend to get open better (Double covered or not).

-They're more dependable, though Waddle does need to do better this year...Too many easy drops.

-Because O-line is not giving Tua too much time, they don't have time to make a #3/#4 receiver, TE, or RB the 1st or 2nd option, unless in practice they proved themselves.

-Crunch time will more times then not, bring forward your biggest weapons, so the rest of the players will only get a chance on broken or extended plays...If they manage to get open.

Like I said, I agree with you. If Miami is able to spread the ball, Miami is a much tougher offense to defend, and I am sure there will be more balls to the RBs this year. There may be plays created to get Barrios in open field also, and if one of the other receivers or a TE prove themselves to be able to make plays, we may see more balls spread out then last year.

The most important aspect of the offense though is not to mostly use our star players, or to spread the ball around, but to find the best way to move the ball, so whatever works...Go for it.

Thanks for the input. My thoughts are McD is looking to improve the blocking for the run, whether sealing the edge on outside Zone or with split flow action. But as a few contributors pointed out McD knows Tua is a point guard so the signing of Berrios and the retention of Wilson (at least so far) means that some of the target may go to those guys. I think TE is a an option C, close to that output even if we get Washington (my #1 option at 51 if he is there) or La Porta probably no where near if we sign another blocking vet.

Back
Top Bottom