Morning Camp report 5-8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Morning Camp report 5-8

Ozzy

Premium Member
Reaction score
I might start going to some evening sessions because these morning sessions are kind of boring to me.

Also take not that this is still practice in underoos so no hard hitting goes on.

They changed the way the fields are set up so I'm having to get used to it. Instead of the fields running the same way the stands do, they now run away from the stands. I'm used to this in games because I sit in the endzone so it wont take long but there is a lot more that you can see from this angle, and I'm not used to this in practices. So I may have missed a few things today...

The Qb's all looked good.

Green stepped right in and was throwing some nice downfield passes. He looks to be in pretty good shape too. He got some reps with both the 1st and 2nd teamers, and it's funny because I never really looked at Green to have a great arm but he was throwing the shorter passes with some authority. I love his touch on the long throws though. The timing is not there but he laid a few in a row right on target.

Before Culpepper walked off the field he was actually throwing the ball very well. He did not get any work in with the Wr's on the deep throws but he was moving OK with just a hint of a limp. They kept him separated from the three main Qb's for most of the practice. Then he just started walking off the field...

Lemon was taking 1st and 2nd team snaps, and threw a real nice pass down the field to Ginn that went in air about 40 yds. See this is where the speed comes into play. The pass was nice, but it would have been overthrown had one of the slower Wr's been running the route. Like I said the pass looked perfect but it was because Ginn was able to turn on a burner once he saw the ball.

Beck looked totally different today when compared to his last camp. He was dead on and throwing nice darts. His deeper throws have a nice low arc to them, and his arm looks very strong. He was very accurate in the comeback routes, and crossing patterns. Now I'd like to say something about what I noticed. It's not much of a big deal right now but he ran one play where the hot read was a midrange out pattern, and it was covered well so in an instant he looks back to the other side, and caught a glimpse of his TE over the middle getting a little separation, so he stops and sets on a dime and throws a perfect strike. Not only was it nice to see the ball come out so quick, but it was even more refreshing to see him to know and use the progressions in that play.

There is really not much to report on the running backs but I will say this. I'm curious to know if Booker is trying to put on just a little weight because, and It may just be me, but it looked like he was just a little bigger in the upper body than last camp. He also made a couple of nice shifty moves to get from the outside back inside. I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays with some pads on.

One more note on a Rb and it's Pattrick Cobbs. Everyone towers over this dude but where he may be short, his build is thick, and he seems to have great vision and balance. I noticed him last camp and did not say much but he turned my head quite a few times since the last camp and once again today. He is very good at cutting back against the grain. He took one run today and was heading outside. The play looked dead but he cuts back once to get thru a small hole, untouched now, and now he's in the Lb's lanes with a Lb having an angle right at him. He's running thru that small hole, and his vision allowed him to see the player had an angle on him so he just cuts back once more and gained another 5-6 yds. All from what looked like nothing. I hope he plays like this with pads on.

Lets do a little Wr's

Hazakim totally juked Will Allen out of his shoes today. I mean but Allen's shoes stayed on his feet so Allen fell down. The throw was an incompletion but that juke drew a nice wow from the crowd. He's running some nice routes, and it's quite obvious he knows this system well. He did drop one right in his bread basket though.

Hagan ran a nice post pattern and had Jason Allen right with him. Trent Green thru the ball on a rope, and I mean a perfect rope, that Allen could only take a quick swipe at in hopes of batting it down. The ball was just ahead of Allen's mitts, and hit Hagan perfectly in stride. No slowing down, and no adjusting. He caught it too...

Ginn only participated in one on one passing drills, and fielded punts as well. That long pass was nice to see, and watching him field punts was cool. He is a natural punt returner, and wow is he fast. No limping, but he was taped up almost to his knees. It looked to me like he is still favoring, or maybe just trying to get used to the tape. But after he ran he was looking down at his feet a lot.

Booker had a real nice over the shoulder catch that had Jason Allen, once again, all over him. Allen once again took a last second swipe at the ball but missed. The pass went for about 35 yds, and could have scored.

Chambers made a real nice jumping/diving over the shoulder catch on a pass thrown just ahead of him. It drew a nice cheer from the crowd too. He is lining up all over the place, and while I'm saying that, this offense moves players all over the place. But Chambers made quite a few nice catches on slants, and hitches.

The offensive players did a really nifty drill today that I saw the Rb's do once in the last camp. I'd call it a resistance drill of some sort. They wrap a bungy cord to the player, and have him run to a spot where a coach points, trying to get as far as they can. The real tricky part is going backwards after running forward at an angle. It looked cool, but my guess is that it helps a lot with not only balance, but with leg strength.

The offensive line was took one more change today. They started Carey, Mormino, Satele, Hadnot, Shelton. Mormino might be impressing some folks because I never expected him to jump over Liwienski so fast. Although it might have been just to see how Mormino did.

There is really nothing much to say about the oline, or dline because most of today. But I will say that I did not see JT playing, and they used Roth quite a few times at DT with Holliday, and two Lb's on the outsides. I'm not sure what to call Kelvin Smith just yet. He played one of those outside Lb's/De's.

Even though Jason Allen got beat on a couple of the deeper throws as I stated. He was running neck and neck with the Wr's, and once again I'll say, he looked much more comfortable at Corner.

Porter was also moving around a lot today, and had a stop in the backfield, and a sack that I noticed as well.

I hope to make it to at least one more practice this weekend and I'll be sure to let everyone know what I saw. Which btw, I am only one person who may see something totally different that another so take these reports with at least a grain of salt.

Hope everyone enjoys the reading......

great report OZ! I know it's early, but everything sounds good.

Great report Ozzy.I was waiting for your input.I hope you keep it up when you can.

Regarding Beck I am worried that the low trajectory to his throws could result in a few bat-downs but he seems to be able to handle a range of throws too.

The progressions at this stage is very promising.Thats was something our FO liked about him.

Thanks so much Ozzy!
I truly love your reports. Things sure do sound pretty optimistic.

Back
Top Bottom