Mort: Alex Smith is the guy for SF | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mort: Alex Smith is the guy for SF

DreamWeaver said:
What was Rolle's 40 time? I thought I read that it was fine for a CB...I did think that his size may eventually move him to safety. My point was that Saban is a CB/secondary guru & would definitely be instrumental in the development of those players. Rolle is gonna be a fantastic pro at either position and taking a Hurricane is USUALLY a pretty safe bet in Round 1.

Sporting News War Room, has Rolle at 4.49

Shifty187 said:
Rolle doesnt have the speed to be an elite CB in the NFL!

The only way he'll be a great player is if he moves to SS/FS!
i disagree. 4.54 is not slow. He is drawing a lot of comparisons to Chris McAllister coming out of college.

Da 'Fins said:
Smith gives us trade possibilities that no one else does. Even if you don't want him, three-four teams near the top of the board do. Saban ideally wants to trade down and we need more picks. It's not likely if Smith goes to SF - so I don't see how anyone would want Smith to go first and hinder Saban's hopes for the draft. Unless you think not having a 2nd round pick is a good thing...

Don't get me wrong, I want the Tampa trade to happen more than anything but I just don't see it happening so therefore I'd rather take Ronnie. I basically don't care who S.F. take as long as we don't take a QB at 1. If they take Rodgers, there's more of a chance that we do go QB.

HelloMotto said:
would you guys be disappointed if we drafted A rodgers then? at #2?

I'll ultimately trust Saban's judgement, but yeah, I'd be more skeptical about Rodgers. I've been big on taking a qb, but that was with the assumption it would be Smith. He reportedly has the intelligence and judgement that I think is so vital. You can coach technique and skills. I've just not heard that about Rodgers. But if Saban were to take him, I trust it would be because he graded out there, not that he was reaching.

finsnchips said:
i thought it was 4.54, but 4.49 is obviously even better.

His 4.49 is faster than both of our stud corners. Plus, Antrell has great size for the position. He has long arms for the jam at the line, and he can turn and run with any receiver. He's also a force in the run.

Da 'Fins said:
Mortensen, on ESPN Radio, says Smith has the edge and unless there is a big contract squabble, he'll be the #1 pick.

He also said that he doubts Saban would look at QB unless Smith is there. Saban's not interested in Rodgers. He would probably go RB and that would likely be Ronnie Brown - IF he can't trade the pick.

Of course, if Smith goes to the 49ers, the trade value of our pick goes down.

It seems Mort might have the same bad sources as Boomer, because It was just announced on Sports Radio in Tampa that San Fran expects to have a deal in place by tommorow with Aaron Rodgers,

All I have to say is the more I read and hear the more I realize that I know less then I thought I did yesterday...DAMN is the draft going to be exciting.

Shifty187 said:
Even if the 9ers take Smith at #1 we still might be able to trade down if Saban can scare the Vikings into thinking that we might take Edwards at #2!

All I want is Ronnie Brown in a Phin uni!

Who is it that has been claiming that the Vikings are extremely high on Williamson and not Edwards?

True, I've seen some of Rolle's inconsistencies, but I've been sold on his ability as a corner after watching him handle Fitzgerald two years ago...But I also think that he could be a terrific enforcer at FS/SS which would give us a type of flexibility that we don't have atm. Maybe the other guys are right about his greatest upside being at safety. Either way, I would be happy to have him on our team...but not with the #2 overall selection. I wouldn't mind him at #5 though.

I'd be happy with any of these guys at #5 (if we dropped down which is alittle less than 50/50 IMO)

1. Mike Williams (Edwards will be gone by then)
2. Benson or Caddy (whoever is available)
3. Rolle

BlueFin said:
It seems Mort might have the same bad sources as Boomer, because It was just announced on Sports Radio in Tampa that San Fran expects to have a deal in place by tommorow with Aaron Rodgers,

I don't think they will definitely draft Rodgers just because they have a deal in place. I'm guessing they will try and make a deal with Smith and Edwards also, if they can. I'm hoping they go Rodgers though, as I want us to have as much leverage as we can so we can stockpile picks. Go Saban!

Steve

Da 'Fins said:
Mortensen, on ESPN Radio, says Smith has the edge and unless there is a big contract squabble, he'll be the #1 pick.

He also said that he doubts Saban would look at QB unless Smith is there. Saban's not interested in Rodgers. He would probably go RB and that would likely be Ronnie Brown - IF he can't trade the pick.

Of course, if Smith goes to the 49ers, the trade value of our pick goes down.
i say better them than us.......

Back
Top Bottom