Mort Just Said... (Rumor) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mort Just Said... (Rumor)

Matt Jones and Ernest Shazor would both be reaches in the first round. If anyone is going to trade up with us, I have to think it would be San Diego because:

A) They've got a stud RB and a pretty good QB. They need a star WR to form their big 3.

B) Cap concerns. Now I have no idea what the SD cap looks like but they've got LT signed to a hefty deal, Rivers is signed to a top pick multi-year deal and if Brees shows up like he did last year, they are going to have to sign him to a long term deal. Adding 2 1st rounders to the payroll has to put a hefty dent in their salary cap.

Is there any RB beside the top 3, that are good enough to be drafted late in the first round?

PhinDude88 said:
Is there any RB beside the top 3, that are good enough to be drafted late in the first round?

Morency and Fason were considered among the top five RBs and possible late first rounders but now they have lost their luster and probably wont be taken until the early second.

AggieFin21 said:
Matt Jones and Ernest Shazor would both be reaches in the first round. If anyone is going to trade up with us, I have to think it would be San Diego because:

A) They've got a stud RB and a pretty good QB. They need a star WR to form their big 3.

B) Cap concerns. Now I have no idea what the SD cap looks like but they've got LT signed to a hefty deal, Rivers is signed to a top pick multi-year deal and if Brees shows up like he did last year, they are going to have to sign him to a long term deal. Adding 2 1st rounders to the payroll has to put a hefty dent in their salary cap.

they had 20 mil at the beggining of FA and that was after they resigned LT, they have enough cap.

Hell I'd like to trade down with San Diego for the two first rounders and then attempt to trade back up about 5 or 6 slots to get Williams or Benson.

We could still end up with Benson at #12. If the Cardinals make a trade for Henry then they won't be drafting a RB with their 1st pick.

Mort was just on Sportscenter and nary a word about San Diego wanting to trade anything. Could be there wasn't time, but still...

Value of the 2nd pick - 2,600 points

Value of the 12th and 28th picks combined - 1,860 points

San Diego still has a lot of making up to do to get a deal done for this pick.

I don't think any team with 2 1st rounders will be willing to give them both up. they all have holes and they all think they can win this year. I think a deal with SD would look like this:

#2 for #12, a 2nd, and a 5th and a '06 1st and 3rd would you still do it?

I would.

finsfan4life said:
Hell I'd like to trade down with San Diego for the two first rounders and then attempt to trade back up about 5 or 6 slots to get Williams or Benson.

Thats what I was gonna post. 2 first rounders is VERY tempting, but I don't think we can afford to drop down to 12. We'd go from having our choice of 1 of the top 2 QBs (assuming SF sticks to their guns and takes Rogers or Smith), the 2 top WRs, and the 3 top RBs, to most-likely NONE of those 6 guys being available, PLUS, DJ and Rolle will prolly be taken a pick or two ahead of us if we drop to 12, THEN who do we take? Now suddenly we go from having our choice of any stud we want to having the best available being possibly Spears or Pollack, and defense isn't a first round choice in this draft. I think the best scenerio, for us, would be make the SD trade, let em get their WR, then we take their 12 and 28, then we trade up to like 6-8ish and get Benson or Williams (since Brown will prolly be gone). Not sure who'd we go for with that 28th pick though (assuming we kept it if we trade back up). Maybe we could go defense and go Pac Man Jones at DB, we'd get not only a shut down corner to replace Surtain but also a very talented playmaker on kick returns.

Back
Top Bottom