Moss Endorses Linehan/What to expect from Linehan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Moss Endorses Linehan/What to expect from Linehan

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/11241074.htm
Oakland receiver Randy Moss gives a strong endorsement to new Dolphins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan. Though there are holes to fill on offense, Linehan's hiring has given hope to Miami's skill-position players that the team will be less conservative.

''Scott runs a wide-open offense and . . . knows what he's doing,'' Moss, who played for Linehan in Minnesota, said at a Heat game. ``He has a good mind for offensive football. He's going to do well here.''

Unlike Dave Wannstedt, Nick Saban won't impose a conservative agenda on his coordinator. Even Ricky Williams knows if he returns, he won't be overused (which he resented in 2002 and '03). ''We have a lot of playmakers, and [Linehan] is good at getting the ball into their hands,'' tight end Randy McMichael said. ``I'm very excited.''

What should Dolfans expect offensively? Linehan isn't allowed to speak to reporters, but no player is better positioned to compare the team's past and future systems than quarterback Gus Frerotte, who played five years for Norv Turner in Washington and two years for Linehan in Minnesota.
Linehan uses mostly a one-back offense -- short yardage is an exception -- but he also has used fullbacks with receiving skills at H-back. Linehan also uses three-receiver sets often, sometimes on first and second downs.

Frerotte said Linehan's system is the most quarterback-friendly he has played for: ''I fit well into his offense. Seeing Scott handle [Vikings QB] Daunte Culpepper was impressive. And he's a very good evaluator of talent. He recommended we [draft 2003 third-rounder] Nate Burleson,'' who caught 68 passes for 1,006 yards in 2004.

Some NFL people won't be surprised if Frerotte beats out A.J. Feeley because of his knowledge of Linehan's system, and because Feeley isn't considered a great practice player.

I think it will be Houck for the simple fact, that he has less to work with, and will have to turn the offensive line around in a hurry. Linehan I think will be a big help, however he has more to work with as a whole then does Houck.

With the way he likes to use three receiver sets, it adds to the possibiltity of taking a receiver at #2 or even trading down in the first and still posibly getting Edwards or Williams.

OurHeartAndSoul said:
With the way he likes to use three receiver sets, it adds to the possibiltity of taking a receiver at #2 or even trading down in the first and still posibly getting Edwards or Williams.
I am not a college draft expert, but Williams, and Edwards will not be on the board too long, so if we trade down, then we have to be careful how far we go down, if we want one of these guys.

Our coaching staff went from awful to great in a few months.

I believe Houck was the better pickup of the two. I think either way, Miami fans are going to get excited come pre-season actually watching a offense that can move the ball.

linehan builds Teams offenses well. he will make chambers into our speedster and booker into our probowl reception guy

Back
Top Bottom